The official Everton FC Supporters thread

Started by boojangles, January 06, 2009, 02:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 09, 2013, 09:56:51 PM
Everton FC   English Division 1 champions 1987
Liverpool FC English Division 1 Champions 1990
What's the difference at this stage , who's' "year will be next year" in the league. ;)

The difference? Guess what shop I saw the European Cup in when I was in Liverpool city centre recently. Hint: it wasn't Everton 2.

I don't mind Evertonians banging on about Liverpool. nothing wrong with a bit of banter - I must confess that the name 'Everton 2' cracks me up - and the recent events surrounding Hillsborough show that when push comes to shove, they know what is right. Still, the only place where Liverpudlians say that "next year is our year" is in the minds of Toffees.

johnneycool

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 09, 2013, 11:16:56 PM
Think Celtic will manage aright in league without Lennon it's the champions league they will be suffer in. English Premier league a big step up for Neil Lennon.

Please god no, I find him an odious individual. Totally classless.

Crete Boom

Quote from: deiseach on May 10, 2013, 08:44:32 AM
What's the difference at this stage , who's' "year will be next year" in the league. ;)

The difference? Guess what shop I saw the European Cup in when I was in Liverpool city centre recently. Hint: it wasn't Everton 2.

I don't mind Evertonians banging on about Liverpool. nothing wrong with a bit of banter - I must confess that the name 'Everton 2' cracks me up - and the recent events surrounding Hillsborough show that when push comes to shove, they know what is right. Still, the only place where Liverpudlians say that "next year is our year" is in the minds of Toffees.

I would agree Deiseach 5 European cups is a superb achievement and will stand for good while in my opinion before the mighty Man U even equal it let alone surpass it with the 3 won by Paisley along with 6 league titles, puts that team up there with Barcelona's of today. I would have to disagree with the "next year is our year" being in the head of Evertonians because having a lot Pool fans as my friends it was actually a Man U fan friend of mine who pointed it out to me after Roy Hodgson was sacked. I think the last time I heard it was after the Wigan match this year followed by Coutiniho was better than RVP in the same sentence. Also the slight majority of Liverpudilians being Everton fans ;) definitely don't think "next year is our year in the league" more like next year we might actually beat Liverpool or next year we might actually win in Anfield( although we being saying the latter for a good while now :o)!
  I understand also why Pool fans can be a bit touchy about the subject because the hunger for success for such a strong traditional club is huge.Being from Mayo I have to  say this year especially they have changed from being touchy to quite realistic for the most part in that it will take 3 to 4 years to get back challenging. Still though the "this is Liverpool" documentary has set them back a few years in terms of goodwill but not as much as having Walter Smith as your manager :'(.

deiseach

I didn't mean that Evertonians are more inclined to say "next year is our year", I meant that the supposedly constant refrain from Liverpudlians that "next year is our year" exists only in the mind of Evertonians. It's similar to the notion among the Toffees that there are more of them in the city of Liverpool than there are Reds - and whaddya know, there you are repeating that fallacy! As I saw one Red point out on a forum, considering Everton can't fill Goodison Park on a regular basis it's fair to say there are no more than 35,000 Bluenoses in the city ;)

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 10, 2013, 09:57:32 AM
Quote from: deiseach on May 10, 2013, 08:44:32 AM

I would agree Deiseach 5 European cups is a superb achievement and will stand for good while in my opinion before the mighty Man U even equal it let alone surpass it with the 3 won by Paisley along with 6 league titles, puts that team up there with Barcelona's of today. I would have to disagree with the "next year is our year" being in the head of Evertonians because having a lot Pool fans as my friends it was actually a Man U fan friend of mine who pointed it out to me after Roy Hodgson was sacked. I think the last time I heard it was after the Wigan match this year followed by Coutiniho was better than RVP in the same sentence. Also the slight majority of Liverpudilians being Everton fans ;) definitely don't think "next year is our year in the league" more like next year we might actually beat Liverpool or next year we might actually win in Anfield( although we being saying the latter for a good while now :o)!
  I understand also why Pool fans can be a bit touchy about the subject because the hunger for success for such a strong traditional club is huge.Being from Mayo I have to  say this year especially they have changed from being touchy to quite realistic for the most part in that it will take 3 to 4 years to get back challenging. Still though the "this is Liverpool" documentary has set them back a few years in terms of goodwill but not as much as having Walter Smith as your manager :'(.

Rubbish. It was cringeworthy television, end of. The club lost or gained no goodwill from it.

Crete Boom

Well it looks like Michael Laudrup is going to(in the media anyway) rule himself out of the manager race but also it looks like Malky MacKay has jumped to the top of the queue to replace Moyes. I have to say my only memory of MacKay is when he was a big lump of a center half at Norwich a few years back and apart from gaining promotion for Cardiff I know nothing of his mangerial record. Still though anyone but Mark Hughes would probably do at this stage!

SHEEDY

still pissed off moyes is being allowed to manage us for the last 2 games. cant imagine it being allowed to happen in any other business, which football is nowadays. moyes you've done well over 11yrs, thanks for the memories and all that crap but you are boss of a rival team now so sling your hook.
nil satis nisi optimum

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: deiseach on May 10, 2013, 10:06:32 AM
I didn't mean that Evertonians are more inclined to say "next year is our year", I meant that the supposedly constant refrain from Liverpudlians that "next year is our year" exists only in the mind of Evertonians. It's similar to the notion among the Toffees that there are more of them in the city of Liverpool than there are Reds - and whaddya know, there you are repeating that fallacy! As I saw one Red point out on a forum, considering Everton can't fill Goodison Park on a regular basis it's fair to say there are no more than 35,000 Bluenoses in the city ;)

If you remove the blowins from Ireland and Brits from outside of Merseyside, their support is much closer than you suggest.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Fuzzman

Having read the doom and gloom on toffeeweb forum now for months I am not at all surprised to see Moyes go but I am a bit surprised Utd have taken a punt on him. I suppose with Godfather Alex their for assistance, they feel Moyes could grow into the role. To be honest I think he was a great manager for us and made us a much more stable, consistent team every year but I would be worried for Utd that he he tends to be focus more on hard work and be hard to beat rather than go out and play with flair and no fear of losing attitude. Maybe with a better squad that will change

I would agree with Moyes that in my eyes the current team are better than many others that came before us and last year with Jellyfish knocking them in for fun we thought we'd finally got the missing link. However, he has let us down big time and yet again we've won nothing and have to do being pleased with finishing above the red shite (unless we lose this Sunday).

Sadly I really can see this team fall apart now with Fellaini and probably Baines sure to go and maybe even Coleman as well. I can't see us getting any sort of decent manager whatsoever and like Crete said I'd really hate to see Lennon or Hughes.
What about Benitez? He always said he'd like to manage a BIG club and he's already made Liverpool his family home

deiseach

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 10, 2013, 03:09:52 PM
If you remove the blowins from Ireland and Brits from outside of Merseyside, their support is much closer than you suggest.

Nah, I'm going to run with there being only 35,000 Toffees in the city of Liverpool. The numbers don't lie.

JUst retired

David Moyes cant leave Everton at the moment.

His car is still up on bricks. :)

Crete Boom

Quote from: deiseach on May 10, 2013, 10:06:32 AM

Hardly a fallacy to state something (while not definitive) that most historical reports and premier league fans surveys/stadium reports point to as being the more likely. What is a fallacy is using a comment by a disgruntled Red fan on a dubious Everton fans forum to back up your point.

Quote from: deiseach on May 10, 2013, 03:31:06 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 10, 2013, 03:09:52 PM

Nah, I'm going to run with there being only 35,000 Toffees in the city of Liverpool. The numbers don't lie.

Well they do lie especially when they are not put in context and are wrong ;D. On EvertonFc.com the average attendance has hovered between 36000 to 38000 over the last 3 years. Also you conveniently leave out the fact that a sizeable amount of Liverpool match tickets are sold en bloc through the very lucrative overseas fan clubs and the fact that Liverpools overseas fan base is ten times what Everton have. Throw in that every premier league fan survey shows that Everton fans on average travel 42 miles to get to home games whereas Pool fans on average travel 82 miles to get to Anfield which easily supports the claim that more locals follow the Toffees!

Fuzzman

So are we thinking more Martina zzz now?
Mancini might wanna move to a big club and stick with blue

blewuporstuffed

Benitez wants to stay in england............
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

johnneycool

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 13, 2013, 04:12:54 PM
Benitez wants to stay in england............

Man City would suit Benitez IMO.

On the Martinez thing, I think we'll know more on tuesday night around 10PM irrespective of what Dave Whelan sports says.

TBH, I'd not be that fussed on Martinez, if he's so shít hot, why is he always fighting relegation?