The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Quote from: gallsman on July 15, 2018, 12:38:07 PM
Quote from: longballin on July 15, 2018, 12:32:45 PM

Has also been toxic with racism and thugs while England supporters have been the bain of other countries only this time they knew what would happen if they put a foot out of step in Russia. They don't own the game. Was great to see the hures beat.

What's that got to do with a comedy song that takes the piss out of themselves?

they don't take the piss out of themselves. They still like to think they're the master race.

imtommygunn

Quote from: sid waddell on July 15, 2018, 12:31:45 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 15, 2018, 12:30:29 PM
Put em under pressure has been ditched for a long time sid...
Really?

I'm a regular attendee at Ireland matches and you're dead wrong about that.

I'm a season ticket holder for about 6 years. I have not heard it once at the aviva. You must sit somewhere different from me. I was in poland in 2012. I might have heard it once or twice there thinking back on it but really that song is not sung much at all.

sid waddell

Quote from: sid waddell on July 15, 2018, 12:24:39 PM
Quote from: longballin on July 15, 2018, 12:09:42 PM
spent a few years in England as well and the arrogance around the national team is unreal. They need to ditch that song for starters like they have some ownership on the game and entitlement.
Why on earth would they ditch it?

It's a brilliant song - full of self-deprecation and humour.

World In Motion is another classic.

Do you think it's time Irish supporters ditched the "Put 'Em Under Pressure" song?

Containing as it does the line "we'll really shake them up them up when we win the World Cup, cause Ireland are the greatest football team"?

Which obviously showed that the whole Irish nation was drunk on its own sense of arrogance, entitlement and delusion, like.

England is rightly proud of its status as the home of football. Why wouldn't they celebrate that history?

They have a football culture that is unrivalled anywhere in the world, with huge attendances and full stadiums all the way down the divisions, right down to non-league level, every single week during the season. No other country has anything close to that. Go to Italy or Spain or Germany and see how many people attend second division matches.

And it's a football culture that is followed religiously here. English football is Ireland's de facto national sport, like it or not. It's far more widely followed on a regular basis than either hurling or Gaelic football is.

Has also been toxic with racism and thugs while England supporters have been the bain of other countries only this time they knew what would happen if they put a foot out of step in Russia. They don't own the game. Was great to see the hures beat.

Toxic with racism? What the fook? The song was written by two Jews and a man of Irish Catholic background.

The way the whole of the English public got behind their team was the very anithesis of racism, you dope.

It cut across all classes and colours. Which is hardly suprising, as so did the team itself.

It was the very definition of a positive, non-threatening, inclusive affirmation of Englishness.

Nobody owns the game. England don't claim to.

But they are they traditional home of the game. That's a fact. They're rightly proud of that.

If you want to look for racism in football, England is now one of the last places you'd look, because England made a concerted attempt to stamp out racism in football decades ago. There's always more that can be done, but on the whole they've been very successful in doing that.

If you want to look for toxic racism in football, look to the likes of Russia, today's finalists Croatia, and Italy, none of whom have even admitted they have a problem.

Serie A was once the world's greatest league, but it decided to let the thugs call the shots. Now vast swathes of empty seats are the norm there.

gallsman

Quote from: longballin on July 15, 2018, 12:44:17 PM

they don't take the piss out of themselves. They still like to think they're the master race.

You said the first thing they need to do is ditch the song.

The song is a comedy song, that takes the piss out of English football failures.

What has that got to to with arrogance etc?

sid waddell

I think you're very much confusing with them with another country there.

As I stated previously, Croatia has a strong Nazi history, concentration camps, exterminations and all.

Croatia as a state has embraced that shameful history as a something to be proud of, rather than confront it as a national shame like they should do.

Who thinks they're the master race again?

And the English very much do take the piss out of themselves. They're the best in the world at it. Maybe that's what you were thinking of - that they're the "master race" at sending themselves up?

There are a hell of a lot of Irish that could learn a thing or two about self-deprecation from them, by the looks of things.

sid waddell

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 15, 2018, 12:48:07 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 15, 2018, 12:31:45 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 15, 2018, 12:30:29 PM
Put em under pressure has been ditched for a long time sid...
Really?

I'm a regular attendee at Ireland matches and you're dead wrong about that.

I'm a season ticket holder for about 6 years. I have not heard it once at the aviva. You must sit somewhere different from me. I was in poland in 2012. I might have heard it once or twice there thinking back on it but really that song is not sung much at all.
I've been going to Ireland matches for 30 years.

The song has been an absolute staple of the supporters for the last 28 years.

Supporters like myself and six others belting it out at the top of our voices in a flat in Copenhagen three hours before the play-off last November.

I think you're missing an irony detector here.

The following statement was an example of irony and absurdity.

QuoteContaining as it does the line "we'll really shake them up them up when we win the World Cup, cause Ireland are the greatest football team"?

Which obviously showed that the whole Irish nation was drunk on its own sense of arrogance, entitlement and delusion, like.

It was not a serious statement, and it is a shame to have to explain that.

Neither is the slogan "The Greatest League In The World" that the League of Ireland uses, a serious statement.

It is not a claim that the League Of Ireland is actually the greatest league in the world.

It is an obviously ironic send up of themselves.

Pah, the arrogance, the entitlement of League of Ireland supporters, thinking they have the greatest league on the world - it makes me sick, I tells ya!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sid waddell on July 15, 2018, 01:01:22 PM

I think you're very much confusing with them with another country there.

As I stated previously, Croatia has a strong Nazi history, concentration camps, exterminations and all.

Croatia as a state has embraced that shameful history as a something to be proud of, rather than confront it as a national shame like they should do.

Who thinks they're the master race again?

And the English very much do take the piss out of themselves. They're the best in the world at it. Maybe that's what you were thinking of - that they're the "master race" at sending themselves up?

There are a hell of a lot of Irish that could learn a thing or two about self-deprecation from them, by the looks of things.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

I suppose they are just taking the piss out of themselves, English humour and all that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

longballin

Are being investigated for singing anti IRA songs at the World Cup and what is Rule Britannia at games all about and that shite about their RAF  fighters... Brexit was driven by racism.

gallsman

That a photo from the WC where they all sang Three Lions, Miltown?

sid waddell

Have you got a more recent photo, Milltown Row, or do you think it's still 1995?

I was standing on the terrace about 20 yards away from where all that took place, by the way, singing pro-IRA songs. Great days, but sure you live and learn.

England have been and gone at Lansdowne Road since then and there wasn't a hint of trouble.

sid waddell

Quote from: longballin on July 15, 2018, 01:19:58 PM
Are being investigated for singing anti IRA songs at the World Cup and what is Rule Britannia at games all about and that shite about their RAF  fighters... Brexit was driven by racism.
This is a Brexit thread, now?

I thought it was about football.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sid waddell on July 15, 2018, 01:25:48 PM

So is it about football or the state of Croatia's nazi past? You are doing well today

longballin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 15, 2018, 01:30:01 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 15, 2018, 01:25:48 PM

So is it about football or the state of Croatia's nazi past? You are doing well today

The mindset of England supporters who sing bout RAF bombers, Rule Britannia etc... similar mindset that drove Brexit. you know that. don't be their apologist.