Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Fair play to Brolly - a selfless act and a huge personal sacrifice.
It doesn't change my opinion of him as a disgrace of a "football analyst" in any way though.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Nally Stand

Quote from: Tubberman on October 06, 2012, 12:34:44 PM
Fair play to Brolly - a selfless act and a huge personal sacrifice.
Couldn't agree more

Quote from: Tubberman on October 06, 2012, 12:34:44 PM
It doesn't change my opinion of him as a disgrace of a "football analyst" in any way though.
Couldn't disagree more
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

trileacman

Ah here, Joe's been chatting shite for 20 years, his kidney's get a handy enough time of it.

In fairness though a sound gesture, what are the odds of getting a donor compatible from outside your family? Anybody know?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Wildweasel74

fair play to him, not many would do that! and i be a fair critic of him at times in a football sense.

FL/MAYO

A selfless act by Brolly, he has set a great example for us all. I hope he returns to his old WUM days soon so that I can start ignoring the fecker again.

Dubh driocht

What a fantastic thing to do for a friend. I take my hat off to Joe for this. While many of us may disagree with some of his opinions, he also makes many brave and good calls and is never afraid to swim against the tide. What an example of single-mindedness and courage. His actions should encourage all of us to think about donating blood and consider others less fortunate. No matter what else he does in life he will always be known as Joe the Organ Donor.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on October 06, 2012, 08:43:54 AM
I know the whole story here lads but from the other way round. Shane Finnegan, the reciever is a close relation, and the extent, dedication and absolute committment to making this work from Joe Brollys end was unbelievable.

Shane Finnegan was a county minor for Antrim 22 years ago and picked up a kidney injury that year and has not played since. His two brothers Greg and Donagh played for St Pauls and Antrim for many years, and Shane was destined for great things too.

The efforts Shane has gone to to get donors, and then get a correct blood match (which was the very hard bit) was a long heartbreaking journey. The physical and mental torture involvedcannot be properly explained. Shane couldnt pass urine. He peed for the first time in many years yesterday.

I wont spoil the story which hopefully will appear in the media once the two guys get out of hospital. The great news is the operation looks to have been a real success. Joe has taken two months off work to make this happen, and was the driver all along since he first heard about Shanes condition.

Will always hold him in high esteem after this. Delighted for Shane as well - his life can get back to normality again.

Went to primary school with Shane, Bannside, his mum was the Vice Principle (Ma Finnegan) at St Finnian's on the lower Falls, decent fella and I haven't seen him since he stop playing christ over 22 years now, getting old.

Anyways fair play to Joe and no better recipient than Shane, I can still see him coming to school everyday in his shorts!! Kids wearing shorts on the Falls during the seventies was unheard off  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Applesisapples

Can't say good enough about this gesture, I and a large proportion of people couldn't do it. Well done Joe.

bennydorano

Now that's putting your money where your mouth is, good man Joe.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Only one word properly describes this act of selflessness - heroic. Joe truly is one of life's gentlemen.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ha ha derry

One of the GAA 's finest. Good man Joe.

RMDrive

Ronan Rocks ‏@RonanRocks1
"Just got a txt from Joe Brolley, he said..Not many Antrim men runnin round with a bit of an All-Ireland winner in him! #totallegend #wataman"

johnpower

Great gesture well done Joe

skeog

only joe could think about that quote met him early this year told me donegal would win all ireland if they tweaked their system of playing how right he was but i did not believe him how right he was in his analyis

LeoMc

Quote from: bannside on October 06, 2012, 08:43:54 AM
I know the whole story here lads but from the other way round. Shane Finnegan, the reciever is a close relation, and the extent, dedication and absolute committment to making this work from Joe Brollys end was unbelievable.

Shane Finnegan was a county minor for Antrim 22 years ago and picked up a kidney injury that year and has not played since. His two brothers Greg and Donagh played for St Pauls and Antrim for many years, and Shane was destined for great things too.

The efforts Shane has gone to to get donors, and then get a correct blood match (which was the very hard bit) was a long heartbreaking journey. The physical and mental torture involvedcannot be properly explained. Shane couldnt pass urine. He peed for the first time in many years yesterday.

I wont spoil the story which hopefully will appear in the media once the two guys get out of hospital. The great news is the operation looks to have been a real success. Joe has taken two months off work to make this happen, and was the driver all along since he first heard about Shanes condition.

Will always hold him in high esteem after this. Delighted for Shane as well - his life can get back to normality again.

Lets not forget that Joe is self employed. If a barrister is not in court he is not earning money, not as big a sacrifice as giving one of his kidneys, but giving up 2 months earnings on top of it adds a bit to Joes sacrifice.