The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilySavage

The comparison was made between a weekly programme on domestic soccer and one on GAA. Soccer Republic is better despite a much lower viewership and match attendances. And don't mention the National League whatever you do. Sure we'll catch that on the wireless, theres a Womens 6Nations game on RTE2 instead.
At the weekend they coupled up Tommy Carr and German Canning again for f**k sake. Ger clearly lost any interest in Gaelic Football when Larry Tompkins last laced up his boots. Tommy isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. And that's being kind to him.

seafoid

Quote from: LilySavage on July 10, 2017, 11:54:28 PM
If Soccer Republic can show decent highlights from every League of Ireland match on a Monday night, why cant The Sunday Game or RTE do similar? The crowds at intercounty matches dwarf those of LOI soccer yet we have to put up with a shite production. 60 second highlights , mickey mouse interviews with managers that are often cutoff mid sentence and frequently highlights edited missing some of the key scores or incidents in games. Some of the footage looks like it's been taken with a water damaged camera phone. You can give out all you like about Sky but at least the product is high quality.
Sky have only been going for a few years and are niche. RTE GAA is like the Irish Independent or Nationwide or the Applegreen carvery off the M1. It is mass market and it pitched for better or worse at a certain level.

Why is Martin Breheny shite? Why is the carvery shite ?  Because it''s good enough. Because a lot of people are happy with it. Same with Ger " German " Canning.

You can get better analysis online or via something like Second Captains or on the radio if you are interested. But how many people are really interested ?

Or you can look at it another way.
Mencken was an American journalist who said nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. RTE is run by people who think like that.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

manfromdelmonte

RTE just aim for the lowest standard and hit it every time
when you look at the quality TG4 can deliver every week for club or league games, and on a relative shoestring

heffo

Did Cody just get the minimum 12 weeks?

Rules are rules - it's black and white

You can't put your hand on an official.

Won't someone think of the example it sets to children to have such a high profile individual pushing a match official.

ONeill

The Applegreen carvery can be nice though.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Quote from: ONeill on July 11, 2017, 12:07:43 PM
The Applegreen carvery can be nice though.
Carvery means Gercanning in Portuguese

thewobbler

If Soccer Republic can show decent highlights from every League of Ireland match on a Monday night, why cant The Sunday Game or RTE do similar? The crowds at intercounty matches dwarf those of LOI soccer yet we have to put up with a shite production. 60 second highlights , mickey mouse interviews with managers that are often cutoff mid sentence and frequently highlights edited missing some of the key scores or incidents in games. Some of the footage looks like it's been taken with a water damaged camera phone. You can give out all you like about Sky but at least the product is high quality.

I can guarantee you there is not a league of Ireland fan alive who considers their sport's coverage anything near on a par with Gaa coverage on rte.

sid waddell

Quote from: heffo on July 11, 2017, 06:19:57 AM

Won't someone think of the example it sets to children to have such a high profile individual pushing a match official.

"Cody got a bit hot under the collar, there, chuckle chuckle, Brendan."

"Chuckle, chuckle, Henry."

"Ah, shure look it, Cody is Cody and hurling is hurling - there should be no red cards and no suspensions in hurling, hurling should always be manly. And shure aren't Kilkenny out of the championship anyway. You couldn't be suspending him, like, that'd be ridiculish. We don't want our game becoming like that awful football. There's no case to answer here."

"Ah, yeah."

"Sorry Michael, I have to leave the studio early as I have to pay a guard for wiping out me penalty points."

"The system works!"

"Chuckle, chuckle."

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on July 11, 2017, 12:41:36 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 11, 2017, 06:19:57 AM

"Cody got a bit hot under the collar, there, chuckle chuckle, Brendan."

"Chuckle, chuckle, Henry."

"Ah, shure look it, Cody is Cody and hurling is hurling - there should be no red cards and no suspensions in hurling, hurling should always be manly. And shure aren't Kilkenny out of the championship anyway. You couldn't be suspending him, like, that'd be ridiculish. We don't want our game becoming like that awful football. There's no case to answer here."

"Ah, yeah."

"Sorry Michael, I have to leave the studio early as I have to pay a guard for wiping out me penalty points."

"The system works!"

"Chuckle, chuckle."

Sanctioning Cody would upset too many decent hardworking people in Bennetsbridge, Gowran and other mythologies. It could potentially blow a few head gaskets and the GAA would be responsible for any damage resulting.

Jinxy

Quote from: LilySavage on July 11, 2017, 01:49:07 AM
The comparison was made between a weekly programme on domestic soccer and one on GAA. Soccer Republic is better despite a much lower viewership and match attendances. And don't mention the National League whatever you do. Sure we'll catch that on the wireless, theres a Womens 6Nations game on RTE2 instead.
At the weekend they coupled up Tommy Carr and German Canning again for f**k sake. Ger clearly lost any interest in Gaelic Football when Larry Tompkins last laced up his boots. Tommy isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. And that's being kind to him.

You can understand why he chose to just go with 'Ger' from an early age.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Itchy

Quote from: Main Street on July 11, 2017, 12:58:16 AM
Your comparing apples with oranges.when you compare Sky to Rte. The comparison should be what Sky do compared to what TV3 did.
Would you pay €40pm for Sky's quality over and above what TV3 offered fta for the same package?

I wouldn't pay sky anything but I still watch it.

stevecw

Quote from: Jinxy on July 10, 2017, 09:07:58 PM
The 'analysis' of Meath v Donegal was pathetic tbh.
A joke, I was looking forward to seeing a good 10 mins of that game at least. As they didn't bother to show it live was expecting decent highlights. Instead we got about 3 mins. The 2b qualifiers got about 2 mins each with a reporter who had no idea what was going on doing the voiceover. Carlow scored 2-14 we got to see the end of the 2 goals, none of the points were shown. Same for Monaghan, 3 goals shown, none of their 24 points shown etc...

Ball Hopper

Quote from: stevecw on July 11, 2017, 11:39:10 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 10, 2017, 09:07:58 PM
The 'analysis' of Meath v Donegal was pathetic tbh.
A joke, I was looking forward to seeing a good 10 mins of that game at least. As they didn't bother to show it live was expecting decent highlights. Instead we got about 3 mins. The 2b qualifiers got about 2 mins each with a reporter who had no idea what was going on doing the voiceover. Carlow scored 2-14 we got to see the end of the 2 goals, none of the points were shown. Same for Monaghan, 3 goals shown, none of their 24 points shown etc...

Since the cameras are there, why not show the full game later on in the week in a dead time on the schedule?  Let the home team's local radio voice a shot at commentating.  Could be fun and the real fans get to see all the games in full, if not before Tuesday or Wednesday night.  Might even unearth  the new Tommy Carr for analysis.  Throw it on GAAGO for those out foreign and everyone is happy. 

stevecw

If only RTE or whoever had our brains. Obviously the games are filmed in full, all be it by what looks like a JVC video camera from 1992 for some of the qualifier highlights. But yes, now that Sunday game will not give proper highlights and the Monday game is never coming back. The feeds of all games that they must get should be available on RTE player at worst. If some poor Leitrim/Wexford man wants to relive how/why his team lost on Saturday then it should be available online to watch full game back

Taylor

RTE are cat as is the analysis.
Embarrassing from a national broadcaster.

Imagine if Sky had the full package - the games would be hyped no end AND it would certainly generate more interest