Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: square_ball on September 11, 2019, 12:00:42 PM
Harsh enough on Harry Loughran there Angelo. Thought he made a pretty big impact in 2018 in his first year on the squad (I think) and then his season has been totally decimated with injury. He would be worth holding onto if his injury is cleared up whatever that is.

Maybe so, I don't ever see him being a starter. He does have an uncanny knack for a goal though. I think he's best utilised as an impact sub and whether he'd be happy with that is another thing?

Also what is he? Defender, attacker, target man? He seemed to start out as a wing back but then seemed to play as a half forward or target man inside. He certainly could have something to offer and I might be a little harsh there but I think he's one of those players we have that falls in between too many stools.

The biggest issue we need to address going forward is the no 6 position, Hampsey probably be the best fit there but I think there will certainly be games where he will needed to be moved out of to do a specific man marking job. We're still lacking a little in man markers, McNamee, Brennan and Hampsey are our best in this regard and probably HP next in line. I wouldn't really have Cassidy down as a man marker but felt he was super on David Moran against Kerry. McKernan and Burns both have great engines and can get forward a lot but both are naive defensively, McKernan in particular.

I don't see to many standout defensive options in the county that are not already there. I think we have a few decent options in the middle third at the minute not in the setup which might offer us more than a few of the fringe lads currently there.

I hope Grugan and Coney both stick around next year to give it a proper lash and see if they nail down spots on the team.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Jim Bob

Quote from: Localexpert on September 11, 2019, 10:17:32 AM
Quote from: southtyronegael on September 10, 2019, 09:45:34 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on September 10, 2019, 08:18:10 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on September 10, 2019, 07:48:49 PM
It fuckin is outrageous. And to think he offered to take Tyrone seniors for a few nights per week and harte told him your here full time or not at all!

Bullshit !!!
fact!

You're sources would appear to be correct in this instance as the talk in these parts is Peter Donnelly did offer to continue working with Tyrone senior team with the same availability of anyone with a 9-5 job!

Apparently he is still waiting for a reply .... the mind boggles

That not what STG stated.

southtyronegael

Donnelly wrote a letter to county board but got no reply. He got a very firm reply from harte.

Angelo

The usual idiots engaging in unsubstantiated innuendo.

Put up or shut up.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

tyronerebel

Quote from: Angelo on September 11, 2019, 11:44:58 AM

A lot of talk in the club thread about potential players for next year, might be more suited here.

The u20s and u17s had some really good forwards this year but it's likely going to be another 3/4 years before they can impact at senior level and are up to the right physical levels. Was very surprised Mark Devlin didn't get named in the u17 team of the year, Donaghy of Carrickmore did but I thought Devlin was by far Tyrone's best player at that level.

Personally I'd wait for players to serve their time at u20 before bringing them into the senior fold, fair enough involving them for the McKenna Cup and maybe in the league until such time as the u20s get together but I think bar a Conor McKenna type talent we are not going to have any player under the age of 20 making a telling impact with us in the Championship.

Kilpatrick should be a shoe in for a call up this year, he would have got one last year only for the serious injury.

Other than that, we need to look at what areas we are lacking and what players we need to cut. From the cut perspective I think the following are on borrowed time:

- C McCann
- D McClure
- A McCrory
- R McHugh
- B Burns

- H Loughran

Possibly a few more I missed off the top of my head. All these lads are mid 20s or over now and haven't really made much of a contribution in the last two seasons, even including injuries.

I think we could do with another option or two in the full back line, Eoghan Murray definitely worth a shot in the McKenna Cup. Not aware of many other standouts there at the minute, I think Quinn on the u20s is too light yet. I'd like to see Rafferty and McLaughlin get a lot of time in the McKenna Cup in the full back line. Michael O'Neill is definitely worth a look in a half back line where we are reasonably well served. McNally is a good club player but that ship has sailed. How is Ruairi Mullan playing for Cookstown these days? Looked like a great talent on the u21 winning side but dropped off when he got the senior callup.

Harkin seems to be rated by Harte and I suspect he'll get a callup but I'm not sure he is much of an improvement on the likes of McCann and McClure. I like Nathan Donnelly of Killyclogher and think he is definitely worth a look, good engine a very similar type of player to Meyler with probably a better scoring return.

I think Paul Donaghy has a bit of size and scoring ability about him and is worth a look at in the McKenna Cup. Ryan Coleman also worth a look as well.

Bradley and McNulty will probably return to the squad next year, I wouldn't really bother with Lee Brennan, I don't think he gets in ahead of Bradley, McCurry or McAliskey.

Harsh on these two lads Angelo. both have been injured 90% of their time with the county and in my opinion if got a decent run at it wouldn't be far of a starting place. Burns is a very good man marker that i would rate better than HP and McHugh is a great scoring forward won the div 2 sharp shotter 2 years in a row before his unlucky run supposedly near back to full fitness. Id also agree with square ball with his opinion on Harry Loughran

The_Slug

A lot of talk in the club thread about potential players for next year, might be more suited here.

The u20s and u17s had some really good forwards this year but it's likely going to be another 3/4 years before they can impact at senior level and are up to the right physical levels. Was very surprised Mark Devlin didn't get named in the u17 team of the year, Donaghy of Carrickmore did but I thought Devlin was by far Tyrone's best player at that level.

Personally I'd wait for players to serve their time at u20 before bringing them into the senior fold, fair enough involving them for the McKenna Cup and maybe in the league until such time as the u20s get together but I think bar a Conor McKenna type talent we are not going to have any player under the age of 20 making a telling impact with us in the Championship.

Kilpatrick should be a shoe in for a call up this year, he would have got one last year only for the serious injury.

Other than that, we need to look at what areas we are lacking and what players we need to cut. From the cut perspective I think the following are on borrowed time:

- C McCann
- D McClure
- A McCrory
- R McHugh
- B Burns
- H Loughran

Possibly a few more I missed off the top of my head. All these lads are mid 20s or over now and haven't really made much of a contribution in the last two seasons, even including injuries.

I think we could do with another option or two in the full back line, Eoghan Murray definitely worth a shot in the McKenna Cup. Not aware of many other standouts there at the minute, I think Quinn on the u20s is too light yet. I'd like to see Rafferty and McLaughlin get a lot of time in the McKenna Cup in the full back line. Michael O'Neill is definitely worth a look in a half back line where we are reasonably well served. McNally is a good club player but that ship has sailed. How is Ruairi Mullan playing for Cookstown these days? Looked like a great talent on the u21 winning side but dropped off when he got the senior callup.

Harkin seems to be rated by Harte and I suspect he'll get a callup but I'm not sure he is much of an improvement on the likes of McCann and McClure. I like Nathan Donnelly of Killyclogher and think he is definitely worth a look, good engine a very similar type of player to Meyler with probably a better scoring return.

I think Paul Donaghy has a bit of size and scoring ability about him and is worth a look at in the McKenna Cup. Ryan Coleman also worth a look as well.

Bradley and McNulty will probably return to the squad next year, I wouldn't really bother with Lee Brennan, I don't think he gets in ahead of Bradley, McCurry or McAliskey.

Ruairi Mullan, great player and could nail down a spot on that tyrone team but he wants to play football regularly and there is no guarantee of regular game time with Tyrone, the team is changed nearly every game. Cookstown would also be in serious bother with starred games if he was to go to tyrone

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: The_Slug on September 12, 2019, 09:49:43 AM

- C McCann
- D McClure
- A McCrory
- R McHugh
- B Burns
- H Loughran

Ruairi Mullan, great player and could nail down a spot on that tyrone team but he wants to play football regularly and there is no guarantee of regular game time with Tyrone, the team is changed nearly every game. Cookstown would also be in serious bother with starred games if he was to go to tyrone
Conor Shields from Clogher is a player who should be looked at. Was excellent for Clogher in the championship last week. Has previously captained Tyrone U20s. Good defensive option, especially since we haven't much depth in the full back line.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: tyronerebel on September 12, 2019, 09:36:22 AM

- C McCann
- D McClure
- A McCrory
- R McHugh
- B Burns

- H Loughran

Harsh on these two lads Angelo. both have been injured 90% of their time with the county and in my opinion if got a decent run at it wouldn't be far of a starting place. Burns is a very good man marker that i would rate better than HP and McHugh is a great scoring forward won the div 2 sharp shotter 2 years in a row before his unlucky run supposedly near back to full fitness. Id also agree with square ball with his opinion on Harry Loughran

This year was McHugh's third on the panel. He missed this full year with a cruciate injury - did he have injuries the previous two years? I can't ever remember him making the 26 for a league or championship game and he hasn't made much of an impression in the McKenna Cup when he played.

Ronan McNabb will be gone also which will open up another spot on the panel. I'd expect 7 or 8 new faces for the McKenna Cup. As others have said, there are quite a few lads knocking about the fringes of our panel that have been there for 2 or 3 years now and haven't properly established themselves. Some will have mitigating circumstances and might well show potential in the in-house games so could get another chance, but others will have to go.

tyronerebel

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on September 12, 2019, 11:12:08 AM
Quote from: tyronerebel on September 12, 2019, 09:36:22 AM

- C McCann
- D McClure
- A McCrory
- R McHugh
- B Burns

- H Loughran

This year was McHugh's third on the panel. He missed this full year with a cruciate injury - did he have injuries the previous two years? I can't ever remember him making the 26 for a league or championship game and he hasn't made much of an impression in the McKenna Cup when he played.

Ronan McNabb will be gone also which will open up another spot on the panel. I'd expect 7 or 8 new faces for the McKenna Cup. As others have said, there are quite a few lads knocking about the fringes of our panel that have been there for 2 or 3 years now and haven't properly established themselves. Some will have mitigating circumstances and might well show potential in the in-house games so could get another chance, but others will have to go.

He was also out the previous year with what i think was a groin or pelvis problem

trailer

southtyronegael