Scottish independence referendum thread

Started by deiseach, September 07, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you have/had a vote, how will/would you vote?

Yes
122 (87.8%)
No
17 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: September 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

armaghniac

Indeed the model for Covid support was largely pioneered by Denmark.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

michaelg

Quote from: Rossfan on July 06, 2020, 01:06:52 PM
Seeing that Scotland is subsidising the "rest of the UK" I don't see why not.
They'd manage it like other small Independent Countries e.g Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Finland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Us in the 26, Malta, Cyprus.....
Was support in those smaller independent countries to the same level as that received in the UK?

Rossfan

€350 per week Covid payment here if job closed.
Up to €400 wage subsidy if employer kept you on.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ned

Quote from: michaelg on July 06, 2020, 12:48:48 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on July 05, 2020, 02:21:17 PM
The Scot's problem is that any IndyRef is only possible at the gift of Westminster ... the likelihood that a second referendum would result in a majority for Independence, means that it is far less likely to be 'granted' to Scotland.  Short of landing a million+ Scots at the gates of Westminster, I can't see what would prompt an English parliament to give a second referendum.

The Pandemic has again magnified the stupidity of the Union, not just for the Scots, but for the north as well.  The sooner the 'precious' Union is no more, the better for all concerned, including the English.
I'm not sure the hundreds of thousands of Scots who received significant financial support from Westminster would agree.  Would an independent Scotland be able to offer the same level of support if a similar pandamic arises a few years down the line?

Aye, the Scots should be thankful for Boris and all they get. Scots don't pay tax or contribute to the Westminster pot? What a stupid statement.

michaelg

Quote from: ned on July 06, 2020, 10:59:56 PM
The Scot's problem is that any IndyRef is only possible at the gift of Westminster ... the likelihood that a second referendum would result in a majority for Independence, means that it is far less likely to be 'granted' to Scotland.  Short of landing a million+ Scots at the gates of Westminster, I can't see what would prompt an English parliament to give a second referendum.

The Pandemic has again magnified the stupidity of the Union, not just for the Scots, but for the north as well.  The sooner the 'precious' Union is no more, the better for all concerned, including the English.
I'm not sure the hundreds of thousands of Scots who received significant financial support from Westminster would agree.  Would an independent Scotland be able to offer the same level of support if a similar pandamic arises a few years down the line?

Aye, the Scots should be thankful for Boris and all they get. Scots don't pay tax or contribute to the Westminster pot? What a stupid statement.
Not what I am saying at all.  Just saying that there are advantages to being part of the 6th largest economy in the world during times of crisis such as the ongoing pandemic.

armaghniac

If there were advantages to being in the 6th largest economy then are you better off in India (5th place) than Canada (10th place)?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ned

Quote from: michaelg on July 06, 2020, 11:27:18 PM

Not what I am saying at all.  Just saying that there are advantages to being part of the 6th largest economy in the world during times of crisis such as the ongoing pandemic.

Scottish people received financial support because they are still part of the UK and still pay their dues (in fact many reports suggest Scotland contributes more than it receives back), just like the Welsh. They received what they were entitled to, no more or no less than anyone else in the UK. So why should that equate to Scots suddenly thinking that independence isn't worth pursuing anymore? In fact for the shambolic job the present Tory government has made of pandemic management and how they are going to shaft who they have to with Brexit negotiations, including the northern Irish, there is even more reason to want away as recent polls suggest. The union is done and thank f**k for that.

clonadmad

Must be even better advantages then if your Chinese if your basing it purely on the size of your economy and you must have really lucked out in terms of a safety net if you are an American

Rossfan

The fact that they have sensible Leaders who ignored most of the sh1te from Bozo in dealing with Covid has hopefully got a majority of Scots thinking "if we were only totally independent".
Even the Welsh must be thinking that being a Province of England might not be the wisest of things either as they too did their own thing.

johnnycool

Quote from: Rossfan on July 07, 2020, 02:03:25 PM
The fact that they have sensible Leaders who ignored most of the sh1te from Bozo in dealing with Covid has hopefully got a majority of Scots thinking "if we were only totally independent".
Even the Welsh must be thinking that being a Province of England might not be the wisest of things either as they too did their own thing.

Voting to change the status quo is always an uphill struggle as it's always deemed the better the devil you know than the one you don't but you gotta hand it to Boris, he'll have an independent England in double quick time if he keeps going the way he's going.

michaelg

Quote from: ned on July 07, 2020, 01:29:33 PM

Scottish people received financial support because they are still part of the UK and still pay their dues (in fact many reports suggest Scotland contributes more than it receives back), just like the Welsh. They received what they were entitled to, no more or no less than anyone else in the UK. So why should that equate to Scots suddenly thinking that independence isn't worth pursuing anymore? In fact for the shambolic job the present Tory government has made of pandemic management and how they are going to shaft who they have to with Brexit negotiations, including the northern Irish, there is even more reason to want away as recent polls suggest. The union is done and thank f**k for that.
As there is no guarantee that an independent Scotland will be as well off economically and Scots are seeing first hand the safety net that the Union provides.  I would imagine that the same thought has occurred to a few folk in NI too.

clonadmad

Quote from: michaelg on July 07, 2020, 05:53:04 PM

As there is no guarantee that an independent Scotland will be as well off economically and Scots are seeing first hand the safety net that the Union provides.  I would imagine that the same thought has occurred to a few folk in NI too.

lads were probably making the same arguments for us in the 26 counties when we were economically dependent on and in the Union.

We've gone from 95% of exports going to GB to just 11%.

From the average income being 40% of the GB average to just over 133% of their average.

That said

All the Scots had to do was tick a box and they were independent unlike some places I could name and they couldn't even manage that.

Rossfan

45% of them did the right thing.
Of the 55 who did the wrong thing I wonder how many were committed unionists?
An awful lot of older folk voted no that time who will be dead and gone when the next vote is taken.

ned

Quote from: michaelg on July 07, 2020, 05:53:04 PM

Safety net! There is no guarantee Scotland would be worse off as an independent nation. No one truly knows but I sure as hell feel having a greater say in your own affairs and not relying on Tories or Labour to make major decisions for you looks very appealing.

Rossfan