The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 26, 2023, 11:25:10 PM
Like the game was on live yesterday, what do you want?

Was the Dublin game not on live too...a division 2 game.

How long did we get on the dubs?
How long did we get on Kerry?

Always the same site. After the Mayo game, analysis on Mayo, where they were, weakness strengths and a passing comment about Armagh doing well to get a draw.

To answer your direct question...simple really..to get the same amount of time as every other team.

JoG2

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on February 26, 2023, 11:01:07 PM
The commentator / summariser doing the Derry Kildare game is shocking.

Studio much better.

Two new additions to the team, Niall McLaughlin scoring a goal and Benny Hurl scoring a point after Paul Cassidy fisted against the bar.  ;D

seafoid

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on February 26, 2023, 11:54:49 PM

Always the same site. After the Mayo game, analysis on Mayo, where they were, weakness strengths and a passing comment about Armagh doing well to get a draw.

To answer your direct question...simple really..to get the same amount of time as every other team.
Why would the site change?
The essence of TSG is people complaining that there is a bias against their county.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/the-seasons-of-sundays-in-their-own-words-1.1476526

From not being able to send two cameras to a game in the mid-'70s, 'The Sunday Game' now covers close to 100 games a year in some shape or form. The biggest complaint the staff hear is the same now as it was then.

PB: "Not enough coverage.
RTÉ never show our county."

ML: "Ye only show the big boys."

DC: "Ye're always anti-our county."

PB: "I can understand it in some ways.
"That's the way the media works, not just on The Sunday Game.
"It's the same in print, the same on radio – the big teams get the most coverage. There's very few counties in the country that we haven't shown live. We've done the Waterford footballers, the Tipperary footballers, Sligo, all of them."

DC: "It can be politically awkward because people take so much offence on behalf of their own county. I went to RTÉ from Kerry.
"The night before I came up for my interview, I was in a house with Mike Neeson who was the chairman of Dr Crokes at the time.
"And there were people making fun of what Anne Doyle said on the news or giving out about Michael Lyster said on The Sunday Game.
"And I remember thinking of that when I started on the show – that no matter how good you were or how even-handed you were, people were still going to take offence.
"They were still going to be annoyed. Kerry people would still think you were against them because you showed Tomás Ó Sé or Paul Galvin doing something they shouldn't have.
"Every county thinks you're against them."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RedHand88

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on February 26, 2023, 11:19:51 PM
13 seconds on Armagh.
F##king RTE b@5tards.

Wasn't the game televised?

seafoid

Monaghan remind me of the later years of Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest. They also had a gentle descent from achievement and a dance around the plughole that lasted a few seasons but eventually they lost and went down. They only came back recently.

Monaghan never won the European Cup . The peak of their achievement in the current iteration was at  the all Ireland quarter level. Tyrone could always stop them. There are no Ulster titles now. Other teams have come. This year may be safe but when Monaghan do get relegated they probably won't be coming back in the express lane. Even Dublin struggle to rebuild their team.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

SCFC

Was the sound on the NY Leitrim game out of sync with the video?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: SCFC on April 09, 2023, 09:48:54 PM
Was the sound on the NY Leitrim game out of sync with the video?

Think so. Brutal

tintin25

That NY/Leitrim coverage was really really poor

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on February 27, 2023, 07:59:32 AM
Quote from: Armaghtothebone on February 26, 2023, 11:54:49 PM

Why would the site change?
The essence of TSG is people complaining that there is a bias against their county.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/the-seasons-of-sundays-in-their-own-words-1.1476526

From not being able to send two cameras to a game in the mid-'70s, 'The Sunday Game' now covers close to 100 games a year in some shape or form. The biggest complaint the staff hear is the same now as it was then.

PB: "Not enough coverage.
RTÉ never show our county."

ML: "Ye only show the big boys."

DC: "Ye're always anti-our county."

PB: "I can understand it in some ways.
"That's the way the media works, not just on The Sunday Game.
"It's the same in print, the same on radio – the big teams get the most coverage. There's very few counties in the country that we haven't shown live. We've done the Waterford footballers, the Tipperary footballers, Sligo, all of them."

DC: "It can be politically awkward because people take so much offence on behalf of their own county. I went to RTÉ from Kerry.
"The night before I came up for my interview, I was in a house with Mike Neeson who was the chairman of Dr Crokes at the time.
"And there were people making fun of what Anne Doyle said on the news or giving out about Michael Lyster said on The Sunday Game.
"And I remember thinking of that when I started on the show – that no matter how good you were or how even-handed you were, people were still going to take offence.
"They were still going to be annoyed. Kerry people would still think you were against them because you showed Tomás Ó Sé or Paul Galvin doing something they shouldn't have.
"Every county thinks you're against them."

The board should be like twitter and restrict you to a certain amount of characters

AustinPowers

Paul Flynn is  a hard listen . I nearly drifted off  to sleep when  he was on  last night

Jim Bob

Quote from: AustinPowers on April 10, 2023, 02:19:44 PM
Paul Flynn is  a hard listen . I nearly drifted off  to sleep when  he was on  last night

Why not just turn him off?

AustinPowers

Quote from: Jim Bob on April 10, 2023, 02:49:39 PM

Why not just turn him off?

I couldn't  find  the remote

lenny

He's the best by far at the moment on the evening show. Cavanagh is just pathetic, as was tubridy last week. Keegan and Canavan are good at the live games.

Gmac

Give paddy joe his own show

twohands!!!

Will Sky gone and RTE running GAAgo don't expect much in the way of anything too innovative or that requires too much in the way of effort from the RTE GAA department.