The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Canning was commentating with Benny Tierney as his sidekick last night for Mayo v Derry. He mentioned Benny winning the AI in 2002 and then said..."there's Damien Barton who won it the following year." Like I mean FFS.. :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
The Aristocrat Years

Targetman

Canning is awful but Carney is possibly the worst summariser out there (Dessie Dolan's brutal also), they should be made to listen back to every thing they said, embarrassing!

joemamas

Can't wait for Marty's usual geography lesson today, about mountain ranges, rivers you, lakes etc.

BennyCake

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 02, 2017, 03:40:23 PM
Canning was commentating with Benny Tierney as his sidekick last night for Mayo v Derry. He mentioned Benny winning the AI in 2002 and then said..."there's Damien Barton who won it the following year." Like I mean FFS.. :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Aye I heard that one.

And what about that big GAA stronghold of Benburb?

macdanger2

Quote from: Targetman on July 02, 2017, 03:49:50 PM
Canning is awful but Carney is possibly the worst summariser out there (Dessie Dolan's brutal also), they should be made to listen back to every thing they said, embarrassing!

Tommy would be in the running as well

BennyCake

Marty: Chin's father from China, mother from Wexford. I was just waiting for it... but it didn't arrive  ;D

square_ball

Canning is always amazed when anyone wearing 2-4 is in the opposition half or similarly 13-15 back in their own half. Also any save is just a brilliant save no matter if it was rolled along the ground and the keeper had time to tie his laces before saving it.

joemamas

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 02, 2017, 03:40:23 PM

Better one in second half of extra time and Mayo up by six or so, Mayo rightfully using their bench and a few veterans taken off. Danny Kirby was introduced with about five minutes to go for Kevin McLaughlin who got a rousing cheer for his efforts, Canning " Danny Kirby just introduced and he is getting a rousing welcome, he is a local lad...."  wtf.

shark

Quote from: square_ball on July 02, 2017, 04:55:45 PM
Canning is always amazed when anyone wearing 2-4 is in the opposition half or similarly 13-15 back in their own half. Also any save is just a brilliant save no matter if it was rolled along the ground and the keeper had time to tie his laces before saving it.

He has no idea what he is looking at. Absolutely none.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: BennyCake on June 26, 2017, 10:02:32 AM
Quote from: square_ball on June 26, 2017, 09:38:22 AM
The part after the break when Cahill said Brolly wanted to say something about the influence of pundits and Brooklyn tried to make a 'joke' about Dessie Dolan using his influence to get into the Leinster Hall of Gane. What was the point of this?? Any good presenter would have told Brolly where to go if he'd asked him to do that during the break.

Like I say, he brings nothing to the table. He puts others off their stride with his butting in and talking over people. Seriously, rte need to shove him out the door. He's ruining TSG.

Putting the likes of Whelan, Spillane and O'Rourke off their stride is no harm to be fair.

BennyCake

Canning is annoying when after a score. It's now 4 points to 3. Yes, I can see that! Commentary by numbers, little imagination from him.

square_ball

'His fourth ever championship goal' or whatever the case may be after every...single...goal.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: square_ball on July 02, 2017, 05:09:05 PM
'His fourth ever championship goal' or whatever the case may be after every...single...goal.
And how many minutes are gone...

Beantown

After one Kerry score from Murphy he said Donaghy was involved from the start.  Kerry FB charged up field 70 yards, laid ball of the Donaghy who laid off to Murphy to score. They showed the replay and he still says Donaghy involved from the start.... The standard of commentary is pathetic, patronising, dumbed down and utterly awful.. then it's over to Des in studio tonight to top things off.... Does RTE understand these are our national games, not 6 nations or LOI nonsense... Time to get new blood in.

Kilkevan

Gotta love the way Michael Lyster announced, twice, that the post match discussion continued on Facebook but didn't tell you which sodding page to go to... I tried RTÉ 2's page, RTÉ's sport page and The Sunday Game page and couldn't find anything.