The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

didlyi

Your last paragraph just sums up the problem really! I purposely didn't post about the incident in the match thread as I didn't want to deflect from what was a great game. I mentioned it here because I genuinely was interested to see if the analysts even tackled these issues. I'm 100% happy that they didn't mention it and concentrated on the game. Hopefully the football "analysts" can take a leaf out of that book. Just imagine if a similar incident occurs next weekend towards the end of a great game. Would the analysis be focused on the game?
[/quote]
If the football is every bit as good as todays game and there is only one or two negative incidents then Im sure that analysis will focus on the game. Positivity over negativity! Unlikely though.

screenexile

Quote from: didlyi on August 16, 2015, 10:36:03 PM

Your last paragraph just sums up the problem really! I purposely didn't post about the incident in the match thread as I didn't want to deflect from what was a great game. I mentioned it here because I genuinely was interested to see if the analysts even tackled these issues. I'm 100% happy that they didn't mention it and concentrated on the game. Hopefully the football "analysts" can take a leaf out of that book. Just imagine if a similar incident occurs next weekend towards the end of a great game. Would the analysis be focused on the game?
If the football is every bit as good as todays game and there is only one or two negative incidents then Im sure that analysis will focus on the game. Positivity over negativity! Unlikely though.
[/quote]

Agreed! Although Tyrone played well their match against Monaghan was fairly muck and with controversial incidents regular it was easier to focus on that rather than the football!

laoislad

Hurling putting football in the shade once more.
Fantastic game.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

redhandefender

Hurling = the precious beautiful game where manly man men go at it - no cynicism

Football and especially tyrone sean cavangh as a man is called into question.

Hurling are lucky they have a positive set of commentators and pundits. Football pundits consistently take a negative stance on things. The revolution will be televised this sunday, wonder does O'Rourke have anymore hats to eat

deiseach

Quote from: redhandefender on August 17, 2015, 08:58:56 AM
Hurling are lucky they have a positive set of commentators and pundits. Football pundits consistently take a negative stance on things. The revolution will be televised this sunday, wonder does O'Rourke have anymore hats to eat

You might have something there. The hurling lads seem to enjoy the game and the gig they have been given. The football lads adopt the demeanour of hanging judges.

johnneycool

Hurling = the precious beautiful game where manly man men go at it - no cynicism

Hurling pundits want to talk about hurling and the current hurlers where wee Joe and Pat are only interested in shining a light on themselves and belittling the current footballers when possible.

DickyRock

and that negativity has spread from TSG to print media and the general public

headoftheroad

Breaking news - Harte calls on all Tyrone supporters to join him in turning his back on our national broadcaster and not tune into the Sunday game.
He also has requested all Tyrone supporters to watch the match on the British Broadcasting Corporation. Boycott all Irish goods and next year the nordies will run their own National competition with the 6 Ulster teams and London.

Rossfan

9 Counties in Ulster ya bolx ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

headoftheroad

Are ye thick 6 counties in Britain and London - let them get on with it

Farrandeelin

You're right though. Could it be that RTÉ have an anti-football agenda?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

imtommygunn

One problem is this...

People are sick of listening to these boys but there is no alternative. Even if you turn it over when punditry comes on the viewing figures will reflect who is watching the game.

Those hurling guys are great to listen to but the football guys just self absorbed.

Whishtup

The difference is that the hurling pundits aren't that long retired.  They get excited by the cut and thrust, the fights, the game and hence the commentary is better, more honest.  These old cranky football pundits are now so removed from football that they don't understand it.  That's why you had Pat Spillane getting excited by the Meath/Mayo brawl when he still had his  mojo.  They are taking the constraints of growing old out on the football-loving public of Ireland and rotting the heart out of the viewers who diligintly tune in to watch every week, only to be handed up sanctimonius tripe.

theskull1

Quote from: hardstation on August 17, 2015, 09:49:57 PM
It's not an RTE thing. It is at the stage where almost every time you have a conversation with someone about the most recent football game, it starts with "That was shite yesterday, wasn't it?" or something similar.

Have to agree with HS. A lot of games are hard to watch. Probably a over emphasis on the negative has been developing over the years as the handpassing to kickpassing stats swung the wrong way. There's more skill in the game I believe than there's ever been, certainly in the ball handling department .... but as more teams become tactically and statistically nuanced, as a form of entertainment, percentage football (or indeed hurling) lacks spectacle. Hurling commentators have been calling plenty of games as theyve seen them and the supporters wouldn't be in disagreement with the flatness of a lot of games this year.

Everyone was in high spirits yesterday .....why wouldn't they be ....... it was an absolute joy to watch yesterdays game.

I wish more kids had the opportunity to learn the game.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

paddyoslabs

Quote from: Whishtup on August 17, 2015, 10:30:30 PM
The difference is that the hurling pundits aren't that long retired.  They get excited by the cut and thrust, the fights, the game and hence the commentary is better, more honest.  These old cranky football pundits are now so removed from football that they don't understand it.  That's why you had Pat Spillane getting excited by the Meath/Mayo brawl when he still had his  mojo.  They are taking the constraints of growing old out on the football-loving public of Ireland and rotting the heart out of the viewers who diligintly tune in to watch every week, only to be handed up sanctimonius tripe.

no long retired?tomas mulcahy,Loughnane,farrell,the like of eddie brennan is a breath of fresh air,also donal og and king henry,