The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

The old saying, 'It takes two to tango', certainly applies here.
As it has on numerous occasions in the last few years.
It's funny how one of the two is nearly always Tyrone though.
Some men to tango.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on August 10, 2015, 03:27:15 PM
Quote from: paddyoslabs on August 10, 2015, 02:33:52 PM
Quote from: outside-the-wire on August 10, 2015, 09:59:40 AM
Do Tyrone people ever think there's no smoke without fire?

they would know all about smoke and fire in tyrone  ;)

Surely the PaddyOSlab account is a piss take?

Dammit! My cover is blown!

50fiftyball

The following extracts are taken from Colm O'Rourke 'The Final Whistle'.  These are his own words....

"If a back was giving me a lot of hassle and there was nothing being done about it I often let him go out in front for the ball and, just at the right moment,I'd give him an unmerciful box behind the ear.  Of course it is a cowardly act and you run the risk of getting one in return or starting a stand up fight, but extreme measures are sometimes needed to allow the game to be played in the way it is supposed to be. For the last few years, being involved with the Sunday Game on RTE has been a major disadvantage in that a few people who needed to be sorted-out badly got away with doing things that one would normally not accept but, being involved with television meant I had to just put up with it. (Page 154)

" ... in a League play-off against Down in '93 I gave DJ Kane a box in the mouth which drew some blood and he wondered out loud for the rest of the match whether the incident would be on television that night or in the Sunday Tribune the following Sunday. Afterwards, when we met in the hotel, DJ was still not too happy but when I told him I had been waiting for a long time to give him one, and to make it all the better he would never get me back, he certainly did not see the funny side of it. The following year Meath met Down in the League quarter-final and coming up to the game I was a bit worried that DJ might remember the previous year and exact retribution but he was away for the match and I was saved. DJ was quite right too! The incident never appeared on television, but it was not something to boast about in the Tribune."

outside-the-wire

Tell me this. When Cavanagh plays for his club what do opposing clubs think of his antics?? Surely there's an uproar every time he dives. But when its with the county you love it! So, does he stay in his feet when you are playing against him at club level?

JoG2

Quote from: 50fiftyball on August 10, 2015, 04:21:45 PM
The following extracts are taken from Colm O'Rourke 'The Final Whistle'.  These are his own words....

"If a back was giving me a lot of hassle and there was nothing being done about it I often let him go out in front for the ball and, just at the right moment,I'd give him an unmerciful box behind the ear.  Of course it is a cowardly act and you run the risk of getting one in return or starting a stand up fight, but extreme measures are sometimes needed to allow the game to be played in the way it is supposed to be. For the last few years, being involved with the Sunday Game on RTE has been a major disadvantage in that a few people who needed to be sorted-out badly got away with doing things that one would normally not accept but, being involved with television meant I had to just put up with it. (Page 154)

" ... in a League play-off against Down in '93 I gave DJ Kane a box in the mouth which drew some blood and he wondered out loud for the rest of the match whether the incident would be on television that night or in the Sunday Tribune the following Sunday. Afterwards, when we met in the hotel, DJ was still not too happy but when I told him I had been waiting for a long time to give him one, and to make it all the better he would never get me back, he certainly did not see the funny side of it. The following year Meath met Down in the League quarter-final and coming up to the game I was a bit worried that DJ might remember the previous year and exact retribution but he was away for the match and I was saved. DJ was quite right too! The incident never appeared on television, but it was not something to boast about in the Tribune."

any of the real classy stuff like diving or repeatedly feigning injuries for minutes on end mentioned in the book?

deiseach

The image of a smug Colm alongside his own words was more entertaining. More manipulative, but more entertaining.

Gabriel_Hurl

Did Colm really say that refs were corrupt last night?

Jinxy

You give belts and you take belts.
This has always been the unspoken code.
There is no hypocrisy in what Colm is saying now versus how he played the game himself, despite the attempted spin that's been put on it here.
Eugene McGee wrote about it again today as well.
I'm starting to think Tyrone people simply don't get the concept of manliness.

deiseach

Quote from: Jinxy on August 10, 2015, 04:53:23 PM
There is no hypocrisy in what Colm is saying now versus how he played the game himself, despite the attempted spin that's been put on it here.

I find it hard to see Colm saying as much on The Sunday Game. Your point is well made though.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: JoG2 on August 10, 2015, 04:10:58 PMare you saying there is no rule or reg covering 'bringing the game into disrepute'? I thought this was catered for . Why do panelists / pundits talk about it?

The closest thing I can find is this - the rules it refers to are the use of sectarian/racist language against a player

Wildweasel74

I watched O`Rourke play many times, he was probably one of the toughest lads ever to come out of meath, nearly always come out tops in a physical confrontation as he was so strong, he could give it and take it, and didn't lie down like a pussy after getting a hit and didnt try to get men sent off. Keith Barr knocked him clear out one year and he came back on concussed and won Meath the game. hard to compare him to a bunch of diving faking cheats.And if you though he was tough what would the current Tyrone team have made of Gerry MC, the Lyons brothers and the Liam harnan

deiseach

The Liam Harnan. Was that a title, like The Undertaker? I'm surprised Kevin Foley wasn't called Paul Bearer.

LeoMc

Quote from: muppet on August 10, 2015, 03:57:32 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 10, 2015, 03:53:26 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on August 10, 2015, 03:52:29 PMwhy not though? Surely it can be changed. Those in power will be fans of the game and will almost certainly not like this aspect of the game. Throw the book at McCann now and whoever else dives / cheats for the remainder of the season. Bring a specific rule in then that encompasses diving / cheating / rolling around the ground like a big man whore .

Do you know how the rule book works in the GAA?

Sorry to go off on a tangent but....

When David Clarke made a save in the first half, he dived and while saving the shot touched the ball on the ground outside the area. A free was given, which, although harsh (what goalkeeper is not going to dive in case he touches the ball on the ground?), it was a correct decision according to the rules.

A fella near me started shouting that Clarke should be given a yellow card 'at least!'. When someone beside him asked why, he said because it was a goal-scoring opportunity.
Ye get the same boys calling for penalties because of a "leg block" when the keeper spreads himself and the ball hits him.
Only for the opposition though!

muppet

Quote from: Hospital Road on August 10, 2015, 05:31:23 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 10, 2015, 01:41:24 PM
How is re-posting one of your own posts, an attempt to smear you? 

Unless you are smearing yourself... ;D ;D
Take your time reading this.

I wrote that in the Dublin v Fermanagh game thread. It was an objective post. Some might not agree, but no one has tried to argue.

Your reposting of it is an attempt to twist what I have said.

You couldn't respond with a measured post. Like most people in the south, I don't see much ability in you for critical thinking in your posts. That is why I mentioned the Irish education system.

Living in your own ignorance might amuse you with your smilies, but it belies your lack of freethinking.

Explain please, with your superior education and magnificent critical thinking, and this time in a measured post, unlike your last ad hominem, how me re-posting word for word your post was an attempt to 'twist' what you said?

MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

Quote from: Hospital Road on August 10, 2015, 05:35:55 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 10, 2015, 04:53:23 PM
I would much rather take the Tyrone concept of manliness if the Meath concept is to behave like a sc**bag outside of a nightclub at 2am on a Sunday morning. Acts like McCanns is not classy but at least the man sinned won't be going to A&E.

More's the pity.