The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quite a few pigeons on the pitch during the Kilkenny/Galway match. Surely CP can afford to employ a couple of hawks to clear them out?

AZOffaly

They can't be everywhere, sure they are fecking trying to decide what's a score and a wide, you can't expect them to chase pigeons as well!

twohands!!!

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 06, 2015, 04:37:06 PM
They can't be everywhere, sure they are fecking trying to decide what's a score and a wide, you can't expect them to chase pigeons as well!

Anything faster than a leisurely amble is instant grounds for dismissal from the umpires association.

I did see  one of the umpires at the weekend (not sure if the Cavan Ros, the Kerry Cork or the hurling) do what I could only describe as a bit of a flounce when he was waving the white flag for one score. Twas almost like a bit of that floor gymnastics. Down with that sort of thing I was thinking. Hope someone had a word in his ear like. If he wansts to be getting a bit artistic shur isnt that what Scor is for.

Minder

McStay said last night that Kerrry didn't deserve a draw, but a draw was probably the fairest result.............
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rossfan

There was a prize "goal" in Mullingar yesterday :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on July 06, 2015, 06:31:32 PM

There was a prize "goal" in Mullingar yesterday :-[

That was unreal. If it happened against Kilkenny or Tipperary there'd be open warfare!

theticklemister

I didn't see the papers for the aftermath; what did the umpires say happened?

omaghjoe

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 06, 2015, 12:23:55 AM
Quote from: muppet on July 06, 2015, 12:02:54 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 05, 2015, 11:42:46 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on July 05, 2015, 11:11:33 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 05, 2015, 11:10:19 PM
Good man Des.
Cavan and Roscommon are now neighbours

I was about to get out my old geography book...

In fairness there is only one county between them

That logic makes Waterford and Galway neighbours.

;D

Indeed it looks like our up coming grudge match with Meath now has the added spice of a derby fixture

Nailer

Donal Og admitted last night that T J Reid took ten steps before shooting to the net and then went on on to say that Galway shouldn't complain but should look at how they conceded the goal.
Kilkenny would still have won if the goal had of been disallowed so it didn't affect the result.
However, the correct decision should have been a free out and the goal disallowed, Donal Og is obviously afraid of upsetting Brian Cody and Des didn't pull him up for it.

On a different note, in the football game between Roscommon and Cavan referee David Gough sent off Cavan's Tom Corr who had been substituted before the match was restarted, had Tom not been among the subs in the stand he couldn't have been called on to the pitch and red carded.
In that case would Cavan have been allowed to play the the second half with fifteen players? It was a pity Des didn't put this question to Ciaran Whelan and Kevin Mc Stay during the programme.

Syferus

Quote from: Nailer on July 06, 2015, 11:08:53 PM
Donal Og admitted last night that T J Reid took ten steps before shooting to the net and then went on on to say that Galway shouldn't complain but should look at how they conceded the goal.
Kilkenny would still have won if the goal had of been disallowed so it didn't affect the result.
However, the correct decision should have been a free out and the goal disallowed, Donal Og is obviously afraid of upsetting Brian Cody and Des didn't pull him up for it.

On a different note, in the football game between Roscommon and Cavan referee David Gough sent off Cavan's Tom Corr who had been substituted before the match was restarted, had Tom not been among the subs in the stand he couldn't have been called on to the pitch and red carded.
In that case would Cavan have been allowed to play the the second half with fifteen players? It was a pity Des didn't put this question to Ciaran Whelan and Kevin Mc Stay during the programme.

I doubt K-Mac or Whelan would know such rules minutia. Likely he would have not allowed the substitution and given a red card to Corr in absentia.

Rossfan

He hadn't " been substituted before the match restarted" as the sideline official told the Cavan Secretary he couldn't accept his piesheen of paper and then no 21 was called back off the pitch.
No official substitution took place.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

didlyi

Quote from: Nailer on July 06, 2015, 11:08:53 PM

Why would Donal og be frightened of upsetting Cody? His point was that rather than using this as an excuse for loosing, Galway needed to look at other aspects of their game. Fair point I thought!
And yes it should have been a free out.

moysider

Quote from: Minder on July 06, 2015, 05:43:06 PM
McStay said last night that Kerrry didn't deserve a draw, but a draw was probably the fairest result.............

You know exactly what he means.

If Kerry are off the pace but anywhere close at all the referee will ensure they get a draw ..... er in fairness like.

Unless they are playing the Dubs. Then the pendulum swings to the Dubs as the sense of entitlement/expectation swings to the Dubs and the referee caves in according to script. Like he did in 2011.

joemamas

Just watched it last night.
Is it me or does Donal og come across as dour. 

On GAAGO, I just fast forward. Not sure if it is his accent, his tone, but I cannot listen to him.
I feel that if the game was 6-22 to 4-28, his initial comment would be negative, that it was too high scoring or something.

Michael Lyster I think has also figured that out. Last season after an absolutely cracking hurling game in Croke Park, he was first to comment, and took the mood down from 60 to 0 in about five seconds. Lyster mercifully cut him off and quickly switched to another panel member.

Don't want to sound overly critical, but he could sound a little more upbeat.

AZOffaly

My wife was saying the same thing about him last Sunday night. He seems to be in cranky auld form these days. He even has a bit of a sneery head on him when Anthony Daly, who is a very personable man by all accounts, was disagreeing with him. I'd say Donal Óg has a very high opinion of his own opinion.

But sure, as the fella says, a Corkman with an inferiority complex thinks he's only as good as everyone else.