The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: ballinaman on August 25, 2014, 10:29:44 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 25, 2014, 10:27:12 PM
Quote from: Sidney on August 25, 2014, 10:23:55 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2014, 10:15:56 PM

The roads are far worse. There is no realistic train connection. Parking will be a nightmare. We have absolutely no experience of playing in the Gaelic Grounds while Kerry certainly do.

The roads are fine and just as as good and better as those to Dublin. How do you ever deal with getting to Pearse Stadium, one wonders?

If you really think the road to Gort is as good as the fĂșcking M6 you're having a serious laugh at the expense of everyone else in Ireland.
Roscommon traffic to minor final replay in Ennis was supposed to be ridiculous. 1000s late?

They decided to sell the tickets at the ground because they completely misread how many people would be attending. Ended up with massive queues to get to the ground and then to get tickets too. There was some lad on Mid-West today mentioning they ended up locking out supporters and supporters had to break in to see the game. I can't remember if that's just a mad ranter or fact. Total logistical disaster anyways.

Doesn't bode well for a game that should get double as many people in the same part of the country. At least the motorway by-passes Ennis, total death-trap for cars even on a normal day.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on August 25, 2014, 10:34:00 PM
What about when the All-Ireland minor final replay between Mayo and Tyrone (and Aidan) was played in Longford? Was that a disgrace? Or is the senior semi-final far more important? Or is it the American Football that's annoying people.

We could see a classic in Limerick in front of a packed capacity and TV audience.

a) American football prioritised ahead of an AISF;
b) not allowed play the following Sunday, as it is being kept for the Dubs/Donegal replay that probably won't happen;
c) Crap road which will be filled with 20,000+ supporters, on a bloody Saturday going to Limerick;
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

a) It's a replay
b) Is a godsend. You want as much time as possible to prepare for the AI final with niggles and media work.
c) Get up earlier.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Syferus

I found this chestnut from 2006 - keep in mind we're talking about half of what would be expected on the same road for this replay:

QuoteDid not get there at all >:( Left Oranmore at 12.30 to do a journey that normally takes 1hour reached Gort at 12.50 and everything ground to a halt. Spent an hour travelling 3/4 of a mile and turned about and went home to watch it. It was ridiculous the amount of traffic that was going through Gort and there was one Garda directing it all on the Ennis side of Gort. One!
By the time i (and several others) had turned around and gotten back out of Gort there was a 4 mile tail back going in. I seen 4 buses with fans stuck in the traffic. There must have been thousands that were late or did not see the match at all. Total balls up. Why there could not have been a few more Guards out helping things along i don't know. Not a happy camper but at least i got home to see it all.

Basically, get Prenty to rent his helicopter if you don't get on the road very early.

Sidney

Quote from: Syferus on August 25, 2014, 10:27:12 PM
Quote from: Sidney on August 25, 2014, 10:23:55 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2014, 10:15:56 PM

The roads are far worse. There is no realistic train connection. Parking will be a nightmare. We have absolutely no experience of playing in the Gaelic Grounds while Kerry certainly do.

The roads are fine and just as as good and better as those to Dublin. How do you ever deal with getting to Pearse Stadium, one wonders?

If you really think the road to Gort is as good as the fĂșcking M6 you're having a serious laugh at the expense of everyone else in Ireland.
The N17/N18 is just as good as the N5/N60 and the M18 is just as good as the M6. And it's a shorter journey.

Sidney

How is it that Offaly and Clare didn't moan in 1998 when they were brought to Thurles instead of Croke Park? Did Dublin moan when we had to play Tipp in their own backyard in the hurling quarter-final last month?

I don't remember Donegal moaning too much in 2003 when they were brought to Castlebar for the quarter-final replay, and that's a ground Galway were far more familiar with than Kerry are with Limerick.

Which is more convenient for Kerry people? Limerick or Dublin? Is Mayo's real fear that more Kerry people might turn up because of the shorter journey?

Sidney

Quote from: Syferus on August 25, 2014, 10:51:01 PM
I found this chestnut from 2006 - keep in mind we're talking about half of what would be expected on the same road for this replay:

QuoteDid not get there at all >:( Left Oranmore at 12.30 to do a journey that normally takes 1hour reached Gort at 12.50 and everything ground to a halt. Spent an hour travelling 3/4 of a mile and turned about and went home to watch it. It was ridiculous the amount of traffic that was going through Gort and there was one Garda directing it all on the Ennis side of Gort. One!
By the time i (and several others) had turned around and gotten back out of Gort there was a 4 mile tail back going in. I seen 4 buses with fans stuck in the traffic. There must have been thousands that were late or did not see the match at all. Total balls up. Why there could not have been a few more Guards out helping things along i don't know. Not a happy camper but at least i got home to see it all.

Basically, get Prenty to rent his helicopter if you don't get on the road very early.
It's not the same road. Gort has been bypassed. Do keep up.

macdanger2

Yes, the slight advantage kerry have by being closer to limerick and more familiar with the gaelic grounds is a factor

Also, there will be a shortage of tickets and no train connection

Syferus

Quote from: Sidney on August 25, 2014, 11:03:25 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 25, 2014, 10:51:01 PM

It's not the same road. Gort has been bypassed. Do keep up.

Unless there's two Gaelic Grounds they're all still going to one place. Getting on the motorway in Gort and off it in Limerick is the issue. Do keep up.

muppet

Quote from: Sidney on August 25, 2014, 11:01:11 PM
How is it that Offaly and Clare didn't moan in 1998 when they were brought to Thurles instead of Croke Park? Did Dublin moan when we had to play Tipp in their own backyard in the hurling quarter-final last month?

I don't remember Donegal moaning too much in 2003 when they were brought to Castlebar for the quarter-final replay, and that's a ground Galway were far more familiar with than Kerry are with Limerick.

Which is more convenient for Kerry people? Limerick or Dublin? Is Mayo's real fear that more Kerry people might turn up because of the shorter journey?

They were quarter finals, and as for Offaly/Clare in Thurles - are you seriously comparing that to Mayo in Limerick? It is over 250kms from Belmullet ffs.

And as for the roads, I've driven on both this summer. There is no comparison. From anywhere in Mayo to Gort will be hard going. It is 212km from Ballina (via Ballinrobe - have you ever driven that road?) on AA route finder. It is longer via Claremorris.
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

I'm sure Sidney has been on the N84 regularly...haven't you Sidney?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Sidney

Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2014, 11:09:50 PM

They were quarter finals, and as for Offaly/Clare in Thurles - are you seriously comparing that to Mayo in Limerick? It is over 250kms from Belmullet ffs.

And as for the roads, I've driven on both this summer. There is no comparison. From anywhere in Mayo to Gort will be hard going. It is 212km from Ballina (via Ballinrobe - have you ever driven that road?) on AA route finder. It is longer via Claremorris.
Belmullet to Dublin is 300km. I have driven on the Ballinrobe road. But I have to ask - why would you go that way when coming from Ballina? Why would you deliberately go on a regional road and ignore the national primary route that's provided from Claremorris? It's 196km from Ballina to Limerick via Claremorris, which is the quicker way, as opposed to 203km via Ballinrobe. Do it out on Google Maps there.

Sidney

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 25, 2014, 11:14:39 PM
I'm sure Sidney has been on the N84 regularly...haven't you Sidney?
About 8 or 9 times, the last being last November. But unless you live in the Ballinrobe area you'll not have to go that way.

ballinaman

Lotto was won in Ballina last night. Reckon we should fly from Knock to Shannon and be done with it.

muppet

Quote from: Sidney on August 25, 2014, 11:22:05 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2014, 11:09:50 PM

Belmullet to Dublin is 300km. I have driven on the Ballinrobe road. But I have to ask - why would you go that way when coming from Ballina? Why would you deliberately go on a regional road and ignore the national primary route that's provided from Claremorris? It's 196km from Ballina to Limerick via Claremorris, which is the quicker way, as opposed to 203km via Ballinrobe. Do it out on Google Maps there.

Now I see the problem.

To get from Ballina to Claremorris, on good roads, you have to go via Castlebar. Most Castlebar people (Ballina people can speak for themselves) will go to Galway via Ballinrobe to avoid the bottlenecks in Tuam & Claregalway. This is the whole point and Google Maps won't show you local knowledge.

MWWSI 2017