The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Jez, it's gas a Dub telling us Culchies. What grounds are convenient and inconvenient. A Dub who only has to take the Dart, Luas, Dublin bus or walk to a game. It's not the end of the world going to Limerick. But don't patronise me by telling me it is more convenient a journey!

Quote from: Sidney on August 25, 2014, 09:57:16 PM
The GAA is primarily a sporting organisation. How has that changed in any way?

The latter stages of the All--Ireland championships have a revenue generating function. How has that changed in any way? What revenue has been lost by this decision?

Revenue over tradition?

ONeill

WTF is wrong with people?

Why shouldn't an AI SF replay be played away from Dublin?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: Sidney on August 25, 2014, 09:48:28 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 25, 2014, 09:42:39 PM
Quote from: Sidney on August 25, 2014, 09:38:25 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2014, 09:17:43 PM

You business argument is crazy. Croke Park should not prioritise anything over big Gaelic Games fixtures. If they shoved Dublin out of Croker because a Garth Brooks event would yield more, that would be a good business argument, but would miss the point completely.
If Grath Brooks had gone ahead and Dublin and Meath had drawn, the replay would have been in Thurles. That seems like a perfectly sound business decision to me and I would have had no problem with it.

The GAA is getting extra revenue it wouldn't have otherwise got by staging this American football match. That seems like a sound business decision to me.

Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2014, 09:17:43 PM

Complete nonsense. Other than the Roscommon part, which is slowly being upgraded, it is vastly superior and there are no real bottlenecks left on the N5.
How can one national primary road which consists mostly of single carriageway with a hard shoulder, some of which is single carriageway with no hard shoulder, be vastly superior to another national primary road with a hard shoulder all the way? How is it superior at all?

Do you understand what the GAA as an organisation is? Do you understand what the primary purpose of Croke Park is!?
How can it be perfectly reasonable to move the biggest GAA matches out of the GAA's main stadium so a country 'n western concert or an American college football game can take precedence!?
You must be on the wind up.
The biggest GAA matches? The way you've phrased it, you'd think this was a regular occurrence.

One match, the first All-ireland semi-final in 31 years, is moved and all hell breaks loose from a shower of whingers.

Do you understand that Croke Park has a revenue generating function and it would be seriously remiss of the GAA not to exploit that?

Or do you live in a la-la land where there's a money fairy handing out goodies paid for by nobody?

I am a revenue generating function. I could throw the kids out of the house and make money from renting out their bedrooms, but for some reason money isn't the only priority.
MWWSI 2017

Sidney

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 25, 2014, 10:02:25 PM
Jez, it's gas a Dub telling us Culchies. What grounds are convenient and inconvenient. A Dub who only has to take the Dart, Luas, Dublin bus or walk to a game. It's not the end of the world going to Limerick. But don't patronise me by telling me it is more convenient a journey!
I'm not patronising you. I'm telling you what's blatantly obvious. Limerick is nearer, the roads to it are no worse, how can it be less convenient?

Sidney

Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2014, 10:09:17 PM

I am a revenue generating function. I could throw the kids out of the house and make money from renting out their bedrooms, but for some reason money isn't the only priority.
Did you hear that on Liveline?

Did you make supermarket comparisons when Rule 42 was being debated?

muppet

Quote from: Sidney on August 25, 2014, 10:09:30 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 25, 2014, 10:02:25 PM
I'm not patronising you. I'm telling you what's blatantly obvious. Limerick is nearer, the roads to it are no worse, how can it be less convenient?

The roads are far worse. There is no realistic train connection. Parking will be a nightmare. We have absolutely no experience of playing in the Gaelic Grounds while Kerry certainly do.

The reasons for moving us are to accommodate a Colleges American Football game and to keep a slot open for the Dubs, in the event that they need a replay. Neither reason shows any respect for us or our opponents.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: Sidney on August 25, 2014, 10:10:45 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2014, 10:09:17 PM

Did you hear that on Liveline?

Did you make supermarket comparisons when Rule 42 was being debated?

You'll have to tell me what Liveline is.

What has this got to do with rule 42?
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

It has been badly managed. It's disrespectful even if they get money from the American football. Downgrading an AISF.
Businesses can be run without dissing the customers.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Sidney

Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2014, 10:15:56 PM

The roads are far worse. There is no realistic train connection. Parking will be a nightmare. We have absolutely no experience of playing in the Gaelic Grounds while Kerry certainly do.

The roads are fine and just as as good and better as those to Dublin. How do you ever deal with getting to Pearse Stadium, one wonders?

Sidney

Quote from: seafoid on August 25, 2014, 10:23:12 PM
It has been badly managed. It's disrespectful even if they get money from the American football. Downgrading an AISF.
You'd have to say this is the biggest injustice suffered by Irish people since Mary Byrne was voted off X-Factor. To Liveline with you all.

muppet

Quote from: Sidney on August 25, 2014, 10:23:55 PM

The roads are fine and just as as good and better as those to Dublin. How do you ever deal with getting to Pearse Stadium, one wonders?

Are you an expert on all of our roads, or just the ones to and from Mayo? Pearse Stadium is a complete nightmare to get to and from. You picked a good comparison. The roads to Dublin can easily accommodate the increase in traffic generated by a big game. We will have to see how Clarinbridge and the junction in Claregalway manage.

And you ignored the lack of a realistic train connection.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

If you really think the road to Gort is as good as the fĂșcking M6 you're having a serious laugh at the expense of everyone else in Ireland.

seafoid

Quote from: Sidney on August 25, 2014, 10:25:29 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 25, 2014, 10:23:12 PM
You'd have to say this is the biggest injustice suffered by Irish people since Mary Byrne was voted off X-Factor. To Liveline with you all.
Take it up a notch sid
Let's talk about business. Never mind the radio

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0c3bcc00-299b-11e4-8b81-00144feabdc0.html

In an age of self check-in, self bag-tagging and generally doing everything for yourself, the chief point of differentiation is going to be well-trained, efficient and friendly staff who care about the details and can lift a brand from respected to outstanding

This whole thing is ultra sloppy
Business is about how you treat your customers. Revenue comes after that. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ballinaman

Quote from: Syferus on August 25, 2014, 10:27:12 PM

If you really think the road to Gort is as good as the fĂșcking M6 you're having a serious laugh at the expense of everyone else in Ireland.
Roscommon traffic to minor final replay in Ennis was supposed to be ridiculous. 1000s late?

ONeill

What about when the All-Ireland minor final replay between Mayo and Tyrone (and Aidan) was played in Longford? Was that a disgrace? Or is the senior semi-final far more important? Or is it the American Football that's annoying people.

We could see a classic in Limerick in front of a packed capacity and TV audience.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.