The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Comeontheturks

First post so apologies to all the experienced campaigners.
I know All Ireland medals are not the only yardstick by which one should rate a panelist (Expert) but it does give a certain credibility. Looking at yesterday's coverage we had O Rourke, Whelan and Brolly followed by Mc Stay, McHugh and Early - a combined total of 4 All Ireland Senior medals between them and if memory serves me right none of the 4 coming in the last 20 years. These guys are underachievers who played in an age that is so far removed from today's game that we shouldn't be in the least bit surprised with some of the stuff they come out with. As for the Gooch comment?  Nearly brought up a good steak when I heard it.  it's like saying McIlroy is only a 3 trick pony.Driving, irons and putting!!!!!   

johnneycool

Current county managers;

Jim Gavin (1 AI)
Eamonn Fitzmaurice (3 AI's)
James Horan (0 AI's)
Jim McGuinness (1 AI, sub)

Malachy O'Rourke (0 AI's)
Paul Grimley (0 AI's)

Not too many AI medals within the senior manager stakes either, although I think these lads know a thing or two about football and wouldn't be going and questioning their credibility. Fitzmaurice might have one in the last 20 years, but that's it..

As you say, not the only yardstick

Comeontheturks

With all due respect such are the demands on an inter county coach that 90% + of ex players are immediately ruled out of coaching.. Are you suggesting the skills required for coaching and punditry are similar?
Look at the equivalent hurling panels.!!!

take_yer_points

Quote from: Zip Code on August 04, 2014, 01:49:07 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on August 03, 2014, 10:42:58 PM
Brian & Andy Mallon brothers! Jesus wept.

I was pishing myself at that!

Speaking of pishing yourself, has this been mentioned anywhere since yesterday??

EDIT: image removed

HiMucker

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: HiMucker on August 04, 2014, 03:51:12 PM
f**king langers!

The look of pure satisfaction on his face  ;D

Jinxy

I genuinely don't understand why someone would go out of their way to:
a) rewind and pause the footage
b) take a picture of their telly
and
c) share the image on the internet
If you were any use you'd be playing.

take_yer_points

Quote from: Jinxy on August 04, 2014, 04:41:10 PM
and

To highlight that some dirtbag took a piss in the middle of Croke park and it was caught on live television. What's so difficult to understand?

Jinxy

That badly needed highlighting.

tiempo

Clip of martin mchughs gooch comment came up on the facebook feed, didnt get as far as the punchline as i find him so irritating to listen to. Fair play to him he's making a nice little sideline with the tv and newspaper columns but his opinions are piss poor and he is always chasing a line such as yesterdays

Keyser soze

Quote from: take_yer_points on August 04, 2014, 04:45:55 PM
and

To highlight that some dirtbag took a piss in the middle of Croke park and it was caught on live television. What's so difficult to understand?

Here there's no need for that. These guys are over-hydrating for days in the lead up to a match and a combination of nerves and this, mean some of them need a pee urgently. They dont have the option of heading back into the changing rooms to take a leak. I've been in loads of huddles were this has happened and I'd say anyone who has played much has been too. Calling someone a dirtbag isnt on, im sure he had no idea the cameras were on him.

take_yer_points

HiMucker

Quote from: Keyser soze on August 04, 2014, 04:53:51 PM
and

Here there's no need for that. These guys are over-hydrating for days in the lead up to a match and a combination of nerves and this, mean some of them need a pee urgently. They dont have the option of heading back into the changing rooms to take a leak. I've been in loads of huddles were this has happened and I'd say anyone who has played much has been too. Calling someone a dirtbag isnt on, im sure he had no idea the cameras were on him.
I agree with you there but do you not think the number 12 having a wee five knuckle shuffle is a bit much!  I hear Robbie fowler used to do it before games but would hope GAA players having started it too.

Jinxy

Quote from: Keyser soze on August 04, 2014, 04:53:51 PM
and

+1
If you've played the game, you've seen this happen.
Even if you haven't, falling over yourself to share the image is the behaviour of a 14 year old kid.
The player in question has to go back in to work tomorrow and he shouldn't have to deal with this nonsense.

balladmaker

QuoteTo highlight that some dirtbag took a piss in the middle of Croke park and it was caught on live television. What's so difficult to understand?

Sure isn't that what huddles were invented for ... what do you expect a player to do?  I'd say it happens most days in Croke Park at some stage, just that TV doesn't usually catch, they should have formed the huddle a little better though.