The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

QuoteThe advantage rule says nothing about clear goal scoring chances. As a referee (I think you said you are) you'll know that. Have you re-interpreted the advantage rule in your own way to apply it only when there's a clear goal-scoring chance?

Errr, no. I'm saying that if you foul someone and they are in a part of the field where the free would be score-able then there is no definite advantage to leaving the play go. The purpose of the sport is to score so if the free is giving you a score then unless the advantage gives you a clear goal scoring opportunity, why is it an advantage not to give the free?

QuoteIn any case, my point was that, on several occasions today, the referee blew the whistle immediately on the foul, without waiting to see if there was an advantage. In many cases, there was a clear advantage accruing. That's simply not how the game is meant to be refereed. The advantage rule is there specifically to allow the referee to let the game continue if there's no advantage to the fouled party in stopping it. I noticed today's referee wasn't doing that. Then I remembered that I rarely see it in hurling at all.

Not sure where you're getting the idea that it's not how the game should be reffed, referees are meant to blow for fouls barring a clear advantage accruing to the fouled team. Often, hurling referees let numerous fouls go even when the attacking team would take the free.

QuoteAnd why are people today telling me I should be posting about something other than what I'm posting about. I commented on advantage and you asked why I wasn't talking about frees not given.

I can't comment on anyone else but I said that as your criticism seemed bizarre to me when hurling referees are allowing huge amount of advantage in games even when it isn't obvious there is any.

JP

I assume the armagh game will be on last?

inexile

Quote from: JP on July 13, 2014, 07:59:23 PM
I assume the armagh game will be on last?

either that or the down v Kildare match

Farrandeelin

Marty Morrissey still going on with 'look where such and such is in his hb line' malarkey. Bugs me.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

armaghniac

Some quare suits on tonight.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

hairyUlsterman

Cookstown men are awful trendy so they are

squire_in_navy_slacks

Mugsy "If someone puts their finger in your mouth are you suppose to blow it out"  ;D

Saffrongael

Look at the fcukin state of Mulligan
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

From the Bunker

Quote from: hardstation on July 20, 2014, 10:26:43 PM
Ach I like Mugsy and all but ffs thon hairdo is shocking.

All he is missing is the blouse!  :D

BennyCake

Who's idea was it to use Mugsy as a pundit?

Farrandeelin

Why does he always look away from Des when he's supposed to be speaking to him?

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 20, 2014, 11:34:52 PM

Probably cant stand the sight of him! Too much a clash of hair styles.

muppet

Would you be able to look at a fella who puts shakalakaboomboom in a sentence?
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Quote from: muppet on July 21, 2014, 12:30:33 AM

Would you be able to look at a fella who puts shakalakaboomboom in a sentence?

Ha fair enough.

lawnseed

Things that make you go what the fuk.. Is mugsy wearing paul galvins old clothes? Sweet jeez has he no friends?
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once