The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

You'd never know there was an advantage rule in hurling. Refs just ignore it completely.

Syferus

Quote from: Hardy on July 13, 2014, 03:04:06 PM
What are the huge yellow poles behind the end lines? Is it advertising on the net poles? I'd love to pay 20 or 30 quid and stand behind that yoke.

There's a literal white elephant behind one of the stands and the bit of advertising on the poles is the thing that catches your eyes?

Hardy

What's a literal white elephant?

Syferus

neilthemac

Quote from: Hardy on July 13, 2014, 05:02:36 PM
You'd never know there was an advantage rule in hurling. Refs just ignore it completely.
There is no advantage rule in hurling.
As in, you cannot bring play back

Hardy

Quote from: Syferus on July 13, 2014, 05:13:01 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 13, 2014, 05:10:37 PM

A white elephant.

You think that plastic yoke is a real elephant? And you're questioning MY powers of observation?

Syferus

Quote from: Hardy on July 13, 2014, 05:21:33 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 13, 2014, 05:13:01 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 13, 2014, 05:10:37 PM

A white elephant.

You think that plastic yoke is a real elephant? And you're questioning MY powers of observation?

I didn't say a literal living white elephant. McHale Park is the most beautiful white elephant in Connacht so the above needed some qualifying 8)

Hardy

Quote from: neilthemac on July 13, 2014, 05:16:45 PM

There is an advantage rule in hurling. Two of them, in fact. Rules 4.34 and 5.43. You're right that a free cannot be awarded for the foul after advantage is given, but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the half-dozen (at least) occasions today when the referee blew after the foul though the fouled player had a clear advantage.

Maguire01

Quote from: Hardy on July 13, 2014, 05:41:19 PM

There is an advantage rule in hurling. Two of them, in fact. Rules 4.34 and 5.43. You're right that a free cannot be awarded for the foul after advantage is given, but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the half-dozen (at least) occasions today when the referee blew after the foul though the fouled player had a clear advantage.
Cork's first goal was down to advantage being played.

Zulu

What about all the frees he didn't blow? If there is one rule in hurling that referees are using it is the advantage rule.

Hardy

Quote from: Zulu on July 13, 2014, 06:29:36 PM

What about all the frees he didn't blow? If there is one rule in hurling that referees are using it is the advantage rule.

If they are, it's their own, makey-uppey version. How many times today did you see proper advantage played, as per the rules, with the referee holding up his hand to indicate, "I'm playing advantage here?" I didn't see it once.

(You could write twenty pages about all the fouls he didn't blow. File under "whatabout".)

Zulu

Just seems an odd criticism of hurling referees when they leave a huge amour go. I thought you only have to raise your arm in football to indicate advantage.

Hardy

Quote from: Zulu on July 13, 2014, 06:59:52 PM
Just seems an odd criticism of hurling referees when they leave a huge amour go.
I thought it was odd that the referee today, time after time, called back the fouled team for a free they didn't need. I hope I'm allowed to say that. You feel free to go ahead and post about the amount of fouls hurling refs let go. I won't stop you.

QuoteI thought you only have to raise your arm in football to indicate advantage.
No. You have to do it in hurling too.

Zulu

I hope I'm allowed to disagree with you and not take your opinion as gospel? I saw plenty of fouls he let go, I noticed him give advantage a few times and I didn't really feel he blew up too quickly too many times. If you're fouled and you can get a score-able free then it should be given unless there is a clear goal scoring chance with advantage. Don't think that occurred today on numerous occasions.

Hardy

The advantage rule says nothing about clear goal scoring chances. As a referee (I think you said you are) you'll know that. Have you re-interpreted the advantage rule in your own way to apply it only when there's a clear goal-scoring chance?

In any case, my point was that, on several occasions today, the referee blew the whistle immediately on the foul, without waiting to see if there was an advantage. In many cases, there was a clear advantage accruing. That's simply not how the game is meant to be refereed. The advantage rule is there specifically to allow the referee to let the game continue if there's no advantage to the fouled party in stopping it. I noticed today's referee wasn't doing that. Then I remembered that I rarely see it in hurling at all.

And why are people today telling me I should be posting about something other than what I'm posting about. I commented on advantage and you asked why I wasn't talking about frees not given. I asked about the big yella poles and the other lad said, "What about the elephant? Why are you ignoring the elephant?" What's going on?