The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross matt

Quote from: Rossfan on June 25, 2013, 09:36:22 PM
What would we give to get to a Final now  :-\
In my innocence I thought we'd keep coming back till we'd eventually win it maybe in 82 or 83  :-[

Me too Rossfan but in fairness to those guys they'd won 4 provincial titles in a row + a league title and a league final appearance and an AI U-21 title & AI U-21 final appearance between 77 & 83. Time wasn't on their side.

Early himself is quoted as saying had they won the AI semi in 09 v the Dubs (which they lost by a point) they would have subsequently lost that final but would have garnered enough experience to win the following (1980) one. Who Knows if he was right but there is some logic to his view. Those players definitely deserved an AI senior medal but in sport you dont always get what you deserve.

omagh_gael

Quote from: theticklemister on June 25, 2013, 04:03:06 PM

Can the Sunday Game be got anywhere online in the north?

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the Sunday Game is now available worldwide rather than just the 26th counties.

armaghniac

The Sunday Game is available anywhere in Ireland, so shouldn't be a problem in the North as long as your ISP knows where it is.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: ross matt on June 25, 2013, 03:27:47 PM
Lar.... Iorla.... in response to your posts......

Dermot Early stated that the reason Roscommon lost the 1980 final was because "the fear of losing overtook the desire to win". That would also be my take on it. I agree that Ross should have won and that they blew it but I reject the (accepted as gospel by people who've never seen the game) view that the match was lost because we tried to rough up Kerry.

In Paudie, kennelly, Power etc the Kingdom had plenty of hard men of their own. In Spillane they had a brilliant footballer who was also an early exponent of diving to win frees, waste time etc. Roscommon were a fine footballing side who also were powerful physical men. It  was always going to be tough and tight.

I dont think the Roscommon team expected to get such a brilliant start. When they did they didnt show the ruthlessness to push on and continue to put in early ball to the likes of Tony Mac and Jigger. They retreated in to themselves and most of them (including Early who gave away alot of possession) played beneath themselves.

They weren't helped by a ref who gave some very dubious frees to Kerry. Thats where the criticism of Ross supporters was directed not their own team.

Anyway it was the end of a great team in a great era for Roscommon football. Long time ago now with the likes of Early, Paudie, Egan, Kennelly sadly deceased.

Thanks for that Matt. I have no memory of the game myself and, while it's been on TG4 since, it's a mistake, I think, to judge those games out of their times. It was a different game, really.

One thing I do remember though is my father always despised Pat Spillane for lying down for a free in that game, a free that he hopped up and pointed once the free was given. Pat's inclined to give out about players not being manly now. Funny how it goes. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to go on the record.

Rossfan

Quote from: ross matt on June 25, 2013, 11:02:41 PM
In my innocence I thought we'd keep coming back till we'd eventually win it maybe in 82 or 83  :-[

Me too Rossfan but in fairness to those guys they'd won 4 provincial titles in a row + a league title and a league final appearance and an AI U-21 title & AI U-21 final appearance between 77 & 83. Time wasn't on their side.

Early himself is quoted as saying had they won the AI semi in 09 v the Dubs (which they lost by a point) they would have subsequently lost that final but would have garnered enough experience to win the following (1980) one.

I now know that team had reached the end of it's "natural cycle" by 1980 but back then like yourself i was young(er) and (more) innocent. :D
The Semi loss in 79 was the real killer alright. See hoe Offaly lost the 81 Final but were still young enough in team terms to come back in 82 with the experience of a Final under their belts.

By the way Syfín - St Brigid's CLUB won the CLUB final. While it was grand at the time and better than a team from some other County they are not "WE" unless you as a ST B's childín.
Otherwise you could be accused of being  an unashamed bandwagon hopper/glory hunter. I think you'll find Manch Utd have that market well cornered so off to Old Trafford with you. 8)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on June 26, 2013, 10:50:01 AM
Quote from: ross matt on June 25, 2013, 11:02:41 PM

Early himself is quoted as saying had they won the AI semi in 09 v the Dubs (which they lost by a point) they would have subsequently lost that final but would have garnered enough experience to win the following (1980) one.

I now know that team had reached the end of it's "natural cycle" by 1980 but back then like yourself i was young(er) and (more) innocent. :D
The Semi loss in 79 was the real killer alright. See hoe Offaly lost the 81 Final but were still young enough in team terms to come back in 82 with the experience of a Final under their belts.

By the way Syfín - St Brigid's CLUB won the CLUB final. While it was grand at the time and better than a team from some other County they are not "WE" unless you as a ST B's childín.
Otherwise you could be accused of being  an unashamed bandwagon hopper/glory hunter. I think you'll find Manch Utd have that market well cornered so off to Old Trafford with you. 8)

I've been on the bandwagon since 2006, boss!

omagh_gael

Can someone stick up a link to the live player showing the SG. It isnonly giving me the option to watch Fair City!!

Wildweasel74

Sunday game show the qualifiers hell no, lets reshow the games already on tv today / last night, plus another 30mins wasted on discussion instead of showing the games,

sans pessimism

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 30, 2013, 08:37:20 PM
Can someone stick up a link to the live player showing the SG. It isnonly giving me the option to watch Fair City!!
The way things are gone on the  SG you're better
off watching Fair City
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

tintin25

Have to agree in that the 'coverage' they give the qualifiers and less glamour ties is poor. Expecting about 10 mins highlights of the qualifiers and about 5 from the London game....2 of which will be the arrival at the airport and coming off the bus at Hyde park.

laoislad

Christ the commentator for the Carlow Wexford game was dreadful.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Wexford put one in the onion sack...

What odds on cahill putting eamon o'hara on the spot over walsh resigning?

From the Bunker

Monaghan and Cavan on now! Feck we had 2 hours of that last night between the game and analysis! Do we need to see Highlights (and listen to Morrissey and Carney again)?

Wildweasel74

been nice to see the games on tv the nite that havent featured over the wkend, i presume the meath game then dublin will be up next

RealSpiritof98

Eamon O'Hara a bit much on the blusher 8) 8)