The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on June 24, 2013, 05:52:16 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 24, 2013, 04:49:09 PM
Yeah, good auld Romantic Pateen. Counties like Donegal used to be favourites of him playing the nice football. Winning a few games and getting hammered in some back door before August. It was the way the game should be played. Good kicking of the ball, high fielding, open defences, High ball into the full forward line and Kerry winning another AI. Ah the good auld days! Ulster was a nice province that beat the sh*t out of each other before giving a sorta challenge match to the Leinster or Munster Champions before the AI Final. The natural order.

Arrah here now. He was calling our stuff 'glamour' football long before a blanket was sighted in the Donnybrook. I heard he got a good clipeen in the '80 AI final and never forgave us.

Don't know if you were old enough to remember, but that was one that got away - Ros 1980. Decided to ruffle up Kerry and forgot to play football for the closing 15 minutes. I was even cheering for Ros that day. That was the end of a great Ros team. They were followed in Connacht by the breakthrough Mayo '81 team and huge drop in standard!

ross matt

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 24, 2013, 07:22:28 PM
Yeah, good auld Romantic Pateen. Counties like Donegal used to be favourites of him playing the nice football. Winning a few games and getting hammered in some back door before August. It was the way the game should be played. Good kicking of the ball, high fielding, open defences, High ball into the full forward line and Kerry winning another AI. Ah the good auld days! Ulster was a nice province that beat the sh*t out of each other before giving a sorta challenge match to the Leinster or Munster Champions before the AI Final. The natural order.

Arrah here now. He was calling our stuff 'glamour' football long before a blanket was sighted in the Donnybrook. I heard he got a good clipeen in the '80 AI final and never forgave us.

Don't know if you were old enough to remember, but that was one that got away - Ros 1980. Decided to ruffle up Kerry and forgot to play football for the closing 15 minutes. I was even cheering for Ros that day. That was the end of a great Ros team. They were followed in Connacht by the breakthrough Mayo '81 team and huge drop in standard!

Never let the truth get in the way of a lazy well worn media myth. Up there with "Mayo shit themselves in Croker". Neither of which are true. I was old enough to remember and was there that day.

haze

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 24, 2013, 12:59:25 PM
GAA 2013 on TG4 is the highlights show for me.

Can people who are fluent tell me if the Commentators on TG4 talk as much nonsense as the commentators on RTE/TV3?

No, they don't, is the short answer. The main commentators are good pros, while not being spectacular. Coman Goggins' Irish is weak, really, but his analysis is ok. The best GAA commentator in any language at the moment is Seán Bán Breathnach on Raidió na Gaeltachta. If RTÉ had any regard for the GAA they would have had SBB take over from Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh but the don't, and that's why we've the situation we have. Sigh.

Quote from: ross matt on June 24, 2013, 08:52:38 PM
Never let the truth get in the way of a lazy well worn media myth. Up there with "Mayo shit themselves in Croker". Neither of which are true. I was old enough to remember and was there that day.

Someday Matt I'd love to get your take on that game. The Ros-tried-to-mix-it narrative is the one that endures. I'd be fascinated to get another view. I think even Mick O'Dwyer himself said that if his Kerry team should have lost any of the eight they won, they should have lost in 1980. Whether was that true or the usual plamás I don't know, but I'd love to read your take on it.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ross matt on June 24, 2013, 08:52:38 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 24, 2013, 07:22:28 PM

Sorry, matt, but I too was at the game and I tend to agree with FTB on this one- Roscommon had the winning of that game but lost their composure in the closing stages. I don't know if there was a deliberate change of tactics or not but the end result was the same. Ross lost a game they could/should have won.
It wasn't all a lazy media myth either; much of the criticism in the aftermath came from disgruntled fans. So much so that someone connected with Ross GAA  brought out a book some years later. Can't  recall the title or the author but the late Demot Earley appeared on the Late Late to give the team's version of events.
Dermot said the players had taken much criticism from home and abroad and never got to tell their side of the story.
This was their attempt to do so. I don't know what sales were like but certainly much of the criticism was coming  from Ross supporters.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ross matt

Lar.... Iorla.... in response to your posts......

Dermot Early stated that the reason Roscommon lost the 1980 final was because "the fear of losing overtook the desire to win". That would also be my take on it. I agree that Ross should have won and that they blew it but I reject the (accepted as gospel by people who've never seen the game) view that the match was lost because we tried to rough up Kerry.

In Paudie, kennelly, Power etc the Kingdom had plenty of hard men of their own. In Spillane they had a brilliant footballer who was also an early exponent of diving to win frees, waste time etc. Roscommon were a fine footballing side who also were powerful physical men. It  was always going to be tough and tight.

I dont think the Roscommon team expected to get such a brilliant start. When they did they didnt show the ruthlessness to push on and continue to put in early ball to the likes of Tony Mac and Jigger. They retreated in to themselves and most of them (including Early who gave away alot of possession) played beneath themselves.

They weren't helped by a ref who gave some very dubious frees to Kerry. Thats where the criticism of Ross supporters was directed not their own team.

Anyway it was the end of a great team in a great era for Roscommon football. Long time ago now with the likes of Early, Paudie, Egan, Kennelly sadly deceased.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ross matt on June 25, 2013, 03:27:47 PM

Dermot Early stated that the reason Roscommon lost the 1980 final was because "the fear of losing overtook the desire to win". That would also be my take on it. I agree that Ross should have won and that they blew it but I reject the (accepted as gospel by people who've never seen the game) view that the match was lost because we tried to rough up Kerry.

In Paudie, kennelly, Power etc the Kingdom had plenty of hard men of their own. In Spillane they had a brilliant footballer who was also an early exponent of diving to win frees, waste time etc. Roscommon were a fine footballing side who also were powerful physical men. It  was always going to be tough and tight.

I dont think the Roscommon team expected to get such a brilliant start. When they did they didnt show the ruthlessness to push on and continue to put in early ball to the likes of Tony Mac and Jigger. They retreated in to themselves and most of them (including Early who gave away alot of possession) played beneath themselves.

They weren't helped by a ref who gave some very dubious frees to Kerry. Thats where the criticism of Ross supporters was directed not their own team.

Anyway it was the end of a great team in a great era for Roscommon football. Long time ago now with the likes of Early, Paudie, Egan, Kennelly sadly deceased.

matt,

I think it's actually one and the same. I remember that game, and I remember Roscommon being very physical, and losing their own momentum because of it. However, maybe it was cause and effect. Maybe the fear of losing made them start to panic and do things they wouldn't ordinarily, which then manifested itself in an unusually robust style as they tried to right the ship. Whatever, I certainly think the Rossies beat themselves that day, and their approach contributed to that.

theticklemister

This week's Sunday Game is set to be the longest edition in the history of the show. The Sunday night programme in its 34th year will be running for over two and a half hours.

This week's show is especially long due to the first round of the football qualifiers taking place along with both Ulster and Leinster semi-finals. Added to these are the replays from last weekend's drawn matches in the Connacht football semi-final and Leinster hurling semi-final after London and Dublin nearly caused major shocks.

Des Cahill tweeted earlier expressing his excitement for the upcoming show:
@sportsdes1h: This week's #SundayGame will be the longest EVER highlights edition in the programme's 34 year history. 8.30pm - 10.40pm. Cant wait! #GAA

Fixtures include:

Leinster SFC semi-finals
Dublin v Kildare
Meath v Wexford

Connacht SFC semi-final replay
London v Leitrim

Ulster SFC semi-final
Monaghan v Cavan

All-Ireland SFC Qualifiers Round 1
Armagh v Wicklow
Derry v Sligo
Longford v Limerick
Galway v Tipperary
Offaly v Tyrone
Louth v Antrim
Westmeath v Fermanagh
Carlow v Laois

Ulster SHC semi-final
Derry v Down

Leinster SHC semi-final replay
Kilkenny v Dublin

All-Ireland SHC Qualifiers Phase 1
Wexford v Carlow
Westmeath v Waterford - See more at: http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=195257#sthash.L0TYeM0W.dpuf

How much slagging can be done in the space of 2 1/2 hours??????????

theticklemister

Can the Sunday Game be got anywhere online in the north?

Rossfan

Quote from: theticklemister on June 25, 2013, 04:01:54 PM
This week's Sunday Game is set to be the longest edition in the history of the show. The Sunday night programme in its 34th year will be running for over two and a half hours.

Wouldn't it be only great if we got 2 hours 10 mins of action and only 20 mins of bulls "analysis" ?
I suppose we'll be lucky to get half an hour of action and all the Qualifiers together will get about 3 minutes.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Rossfan on June 25, 2013, 04:18:15 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on June 25, 2013, 04:01:54 PM

Wouldn't it be only great if we got 2 hours 10 mins of action and only 20 mins of bulls "analysis" ?
I suppose we'll be lucky to get half an hour of action and all the Qualifiers together will get about 3 minutes.

More annoyingly the first 2 hours will be devoted to the 3 games that were shown live already and then 10 mins plus analysis for the qualifiers and the hurling...
#newbridgeornowhere

ross matt

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 25, 2013, 03:33:37 PM
Quote from: ross matt on June 25, 2013, 03:27:47 PM

matt,

I think it's actually one and the same. I remember that game, and I remember Roscommon being very physical, and losing their own momentum because of it. However, maybe it was cause and effect. Maybe the fear of losing made them start to panic and do things they wouldn't ordinarily, which then manifested itself in an unusually robust style as they tried to right the ship. Whatever, I certainly think the Rossies beat themselves that day, and their approach contributed to that.

Fair enough AZ. I know your view is genuine as always. Agree with 90% of it but obviously still hold the view we were unfairly stereotyped re the rough stuff on the day.

Plus if Dermot Early thought the Rossies were overly physical in their approach to the match he'd have been the first man to admit it. Anyway it's all ancient history now.

Rossfan

What would we give to get to a Final now  :-\
In my innocence I thought we'd keep coming back till we'd eventually win it maybe in 82 or 83  :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on June 25, 2013, 09:36:22 PM
What would we give to get to a Final now  :-\
In my innocence I thought we'd keep coming back till we'd eventually win it maybe in 82 or 83  :-[

Ah ladeen, we've already pocketed one senior AI this year - we have to let the poor bucks in other counties have a chance too.