The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

The hurling punditry really is superb. You don't mind those boys talking and not seeing just as much of the game. The football punditry in comparison to the hurling is an embarassment. Really Spillane has had his day and adds no value any more.It's not like he's getting people to listen - he's not.

Zulu

Dublin came up with the blueprint to beat Donegal. I thought all the big teams would do what Dublin did two years ago and Down did yesterday, i.e, play Donegal at their own game and trust you've more quality up front to win a low scoring game.

As for Spillane, I haven't seen the Sunday game yet but you know he'll be useless. We could all disagree with a pundit but if they can make coherent, sensible comments on the game that just played out then you can accept their views whether you agree or not. Spillane just talks the same nonsense everytime and offers no insight into the actual game.

rodney trotter

It's a pity Tv 3 didn't get more games. Fairly good coverage, and generally talk about the game. Not stuck in the 70's like Spillane.

imtommygunn

It's not easy getting TV3 up north so preferably the less games they get the better... :-\

muppet

Quote from: Celt_Man on June 24, 2013, 12:33:10 AM
Pat has lost the plot...  Gross generalisation "Down's tactics weren't a success because they didn't win"

Right well sure any team that doesn't win the All-Ireland are a bunch of losers!!   ::) ::)

Eamonn Sweeney hit the nail on the head in today's Sunday Indo  http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/eamonn-sweeney-time-to-put-a-sock-in-it-pat-29365782.html

That has been the attitude of the football pundits for years. It contrasts sharply with the hurling pundits who just seem to love the game unconditionally.
MWWSI 2017

shawshank

I made this point quite a while ago, and I could never understand why Harte changed his tactics from last year. Last season Tyrone were the only team to put Donegal to the wire in the Ulster semi final, because they played Donegal using the Donegal tactics, the same as Down did yesterday.

Rossfan

Quote from: FermGael on June 24, 2013, 10:03:24 AM
It's a pity that Pat did not analyse the game properly.
He is becoming a bit of an embarrassment at this stage
Total embarrassment now.
He must have been on happy pills about the Laythrum/London game. While it was close, intense and exciting it wasn't much good in the footballing sense. He also sadi that the Provincials are great because there's no second chance.

Meanwhile the "highlights" managed to avoid showing the last second 45 that Leitrim kicked wide but did show the Goalie's kick out afterwards.
Can TG4 and Dara Ó Cinnéide plus Jarlath Burns and a few others PLEEEEAAAASSSE bring back their Seó Spóirt and combine it with GAA Beó to give us a proper GAA highlights/small bit of proper analysis show ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

5 Sams

Why does Colm O'Rourke insist on calling Conor Laverty "John"? He was at it yesterday on the Sunday Game and did the same in his Sindo column.
The Aristocrat Years

BennyHarp

Spillane hasnt kicked a football at inter county level in over 20 years and he has never managed at any level of note. If a person applied for the high profile job he fulfills with that sort of recent relevant, work based experience they wouldnt get within an asses roar of the job. Its hardly surprising then, as a pundit, his analysis doesnt get anywhere near what is actually happening on the field of play. His analysis is an embarrassment to the RTE and I really cant believe they still pay him to produce his drivel week in week out. 
That was never a square ball!!

Denn Forever

GAA 2013 on TG4 is the highlights show for me.

Can people who are fluent tell me if the Commentators on TG4 talk as much nonsense as the commentators on RTE/TV3?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

seafoid

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 24, 2013, 11:34:02 AM
Spillane hasnt kicked a football at inter county level in over 20 years and he has never managed at any level of note. If a person applied for the high profile job he fulfills with that sort of recent relevant, work based experience they wouldnt get within an asses roar of the job. Its hardly surprising then, as a pundit, his analysis doesnt get anywhere near what is actually happening on the field of play. His analysis is an embarrassment to the RTE and I really cant believe they still pay him to produce his drivel week in week out.
I am not sure that his job is to give decent analysis.
He is there to draw in the viewers, I think.
If RTE focused on decent analysis it would be a very
different media organisation.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Yeah, good auld Romantic Pateen. Counties like Donegal used to be favourites of him playing the nice football. Winning a few games and getting hammered in some back door before August. It was the way the game should be played. Good kicking of the ball, high fielding, open defences, High ball into the full forward line and Kerry winning another AI. Ah the good auld days! Ulster was a nice province that beat the sh*t out of each other before giving a sorta challenge match to the Leinster or Munster Champions before the AI Final. The natural order.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 24, 2013, 04:49:09 PM
Yeah, good auld Romantic Pateen. Counties like Donegal used to be favourites of him playing the nice football. Winning a few games and getting hammered in some back door before August. It was the way the game should be played. Good kicking of the ball, high fielding, open defences, High ball into the full forward line and Kerry winning another AI. Ah the good auld days! Ulster was a nice province that beat the sh*t out of each other before giving a sorta challenge match to the Leinster or Munster Champions before the AI Final. The natural order.

Arrah here now. He was calling our stuff 'glamour' football long before a blanket was sighted in the Donnybrook. I heard he got a good clipeen in the '80 AI final and never forgave us.

INDIANA

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 24, 2013, 04:49:09 PM

natural order has been restored. you just play shite football now winning sometimes. Leave the quality to the aristocrats. 8)

Asal Mor

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 23, 2013, 11:28:13 PM
Des Cahill at his work again tonight trying to draw donal og into slagging jimmy barry murphy. Fair play to donal og for not being drawn in.

Des looked disappointed. I'd be disappointed in him for being up to that kind of caper again and trying to make headlines for drawing ex players into slating managers.

I thought it was a fair enough question, given O Halpin's profile and the history in Cork, but there was no chance of Cusack having a pop at JBM after a performance and result like that. He would have sounded ridiculous.