Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristo 60

Don't all rush me with answers. I haven't gone away ye know!

Petergriffin1

I agree Aristo. He offers something different to that Down forward line and looks more of a threat than most forwards. 5 points in 55 minutes from play is great going.. Is Cory a relation to John Quinn? A great player for Mayobridge when they were winning championships and you can see similarities in their play!

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Petergriffin1 on June 27, 2019, 03:45:21 PM
I agree Aristo. He offers something different to that Down forward line and looks more of a threat than most forwards. 5 points in 55 minutes from play is great going.. Is Cory a relation to John Quinn? A great player for Mayobridge when they were winning championships and you can see similarities in their play!
He's John's nephew. Seems a great prospect. Very smart on the ball but willing to take a risk with it for the score at the same time - too many players now go for the easy option every time.

redandblackareback

Havent posted here in a while but I have been a constant peeper, interesting to see the eulogising here a few weeks ago when Down U20s won a development league that consisted of zero of the main challengers in Ulster and had people calling Deegan and Co the new messiahs of Down football and not a mention of todays result anywhere in the one game that really mattered. Also worth noting the absolute shambolic record of King James and his 15 man management team in the U17 championship. Anyone else providing such failure and lack of progress after 4 years would have serious questions to answer of their futures.

Looking forward to All Ireland Final day to see the 1994 team deservedly paraded on the pitch, the only high point of a dismal year, giving us great memories of special days and a team that symbolised the way Down teams should play and not the negative rubbish we are currently subjected to.

Mourne Rover

When Down u20s won the Leo Murphy Cup, there was a single post here congratulating the team but making no mention of the management.  It's pretty difficult to see how this amounted to eulogising anyone or claiming that Deegan was the new messiah of Down football. There's no doubt that our underage record has been very poor for many years, and probably hit rock bottom in 2016 when our then u21s lost by 22 points to Armagh in Newry.  Yesterday, our u20s were away to Tyrone, probably the favourites for the competition, and lost by two points. Some of our other development squads have been getting decent results of late, so, while we have a very long way to go, we are certainly not in the position we were three or four seasons ago.

Aristo 60

Quote from: redandblackareback on June 30, 2019, 11:47:58 PM
Havent posted here in a while but I have been a constant peeper, interesting to see the eulogising here a few weeks ago when Down U20s won a development league that consisted of zero of the main challengers in Ulster and had people calling Deegan and Co the new messiahs of Down football and not a mention of todays result anywhere in the one game that really mattered. Also worth noting the absolute shambolic record of King James and his 15 man management team in the U17 championship. Anyone else providing such failure and lack of progress after 4 years would have serious questions to answer of their futures.

Looking forward to All Ireland Final day to see the 1994 team deservedly paraded on the pitch, the only high point of a dismal year, giving us great memories of special days and a team that symbolised the way Down teams should play and not the negative rubbish we are currently subjected to.

Don't you mean "the Down way" Sean Og??   :o

KeyboardWarrior645

Quote from: Mourne Rover on July 01, 2019, 12:31:36 PM
When Down u20s won the Leo Murphy Cup, there was a single post here congratulating the team but making no mention of the management.  It's pretty difficult to see how this amounted to eulogising anyone or claiming that Deegan was the new messiah of Down football. There's no doubt that our underage record has been very poor for many years, and probably hit rock bottom in 2016 when our then u21s lost by 22 points to Armagh in Newry.  Yesterday, our u20s were away to Tyrone, probably the favourites for the competition, and lost by two points. Some of our other development squads have been getting decent results of late, so, while we have a very long way to go, we are certainly not in the position we were three or four seasons ago.
Derry got to the all Ireland final and beaten by a David Clifford inspired Kerry while Cavan were beaten by a David Clifford inspired Kerry in the semi final at that age at minor level so they would be the favourites at u20s for ulster.

Mourne Rover

Derry are certainly capable of winning the u20 Ulster title but they will have to cope wih the loss of Callum Brown and Anton Tohill to Australia.

elk

CPN let the game slip away badly last night against Burren. Great game to watch right to the final whistle. I thought the ref done well and kept the game moving, although a few around me thought he let too much go.

Aristo 60

And if they blow only some of the time, they aren't being consistent!

Leftmidfield

Good game to watch have to say though burren looked like they could score a goal every time they went down the field 2nd half. CPN just never seem to be able to win nip and tuck games

Smurfy123

Back to winning ways tonight for CPN. Good away victory. What is going on in Mayobridge a team who I thought would push on after last year. A shadow of the team I seen play last year. They look so unfit something they normally pride themselves on. Could they possibly get relagated surely not?

Targetman

Was at this game myself and really it was a 2 point hammering, CPN always in control and won with ease, as for the Bridge they're in a spot of bother and Ballyholland getting a win adds to it, McKeever has his work cut out

Smurfy123

How can a team go downhill so quickly. Looks like my big four is now a 3. CPN can now concentrate on the big one with league status secured after tonight. Roll on August

ardtole

Best of luck today to former Kilclief hurler and footballer Cormac Sharvin, in the final round of the Irish Open in Lahinch. Could be a career defining weekend and has been in great form all year.