The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diet Coke

Not 100% sure....in the majors everyone who plays gets something I think, but in ordinary tour events I think you have to make the cut to get anything.
Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

magickingdom

i think its immediate promotion to the tour and a 2 year exemption LL. which means by winning mid season he gets that 1/2 season...... but i might be wrong there :)

gerrykeegan

Backed this guy this weekend at 50/1. Now i know why he was that price. Opening 9 on thursday shoots 30. closing 9 today 46. He was in first place with the back 9 to play and missed the ucking cut!

Thomas AIKEN  Position: T79
Score: +3  Leaderboard  Player bio & stats
Day 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Out 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 In Total To Par
1 3 3 3 4 4 3 2 4 4 30 3 3 4 4 5 5 4 3 5 36 66 -6
2 4 4 3 3 4 4 3 5 5 35 6 3 4 4 7 9 5 3 5 46 81 +9

Par 4 4 3 4 5 4 3 5 4 36 4 3 5 4 4 5 4 3 4 36 72 
Yard 398 412 194 384 541 454 187 608 448 3626 426 208 564 338 443 573 486 225 471 3734 7360 
Metre 363 376 177 351 494 415 170 555 409 3310 389 190 515 309 405 523 444 205 430 3410 6720 

Key:  Eagles/Better  Birdies  Par
Bogeys  Double Bogeys/Worse 
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

supersub

Quote from: Diet Coke on May 28, 2009, 08:49:51 PM
Not 100% sure....in the majors everyone who plays gets something I think, but in ordinary tour events I think you have to make the cut to get anything.

yeh this is the case, whoever comes last on sunday will get around £1,500 probably!

corn02

In my honest opinion I think this week is the best thing that could have happened to him.

I'd say most people were listening out for him now, and plenty will be labelling him as a one-hit wonder now. Expectations lowered, he can now go about steadily improving.

Doogie Browser

Brilliant interview with Harrington tonight there on Inside Sport, he talks candidly about his success, his use of sports psychologists and very emotionally about his late father who he humbly admitted would be more well known than him in Cork still! 

DennistheMenace

Harrington is a boring fart really, although I did enjoy his Happy Gilmore piece recently.

Tankie

That was a savage weekend for golf, i got three rounds in but i was shattered by the 3rd tbh so we didnt go too well in the team event. Anyone else get out?
Grand Slam Saturday!

Tankie

The Bank holiday Monday Rumbles are a joke. we were 5 1/2 hrs out there yesterday which is far too long. Played a four ball better ball on Sunday and got around in 4hrs though which was great.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Orior

I played on Saturday. Whilst you would think eveyone would have low rounds it was quite the opposite. I think we were all just enjoying the sun.

Interestingly, I had gone to the club in the wife's car, and I put my driver on the rear shelf, so I could fit my bag in the boot. And I didnt realise I'd no driver until the second hole. Feck it, couldnt  be arsed going back, so played the first nine with my 3-wood.

Got my driver at the 10th hole (its a nine hole course), and then proceeded to score less on the second nine.  
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

GaillimhIarthair

Played Cregmore Park (Galway) on Monday. Absolutely flew around in a little over 3 and a half hours.  The joys of an 8.10am tee time!!  Managed to hit 40 pts (playing off 12) but still handed over €10 to my playing partner who hit 41.  The feckin bandit is off 16 and hit 25pts on the back 9  :o

DrinkingHarp

The world's toughest golf tourney: one hole, three miles long

By Jay Busbee

So what's the world's toughest golf tournament? Take your Augustas and your Bethpages and pack 'em away, friend, because we've found the most difficult golf tournament on the planet: courtesy of the AP, we present the Elfego Baca Shootout. Man, even the name sounds rough.

Held in Socorro, New Mexico, the tournament consists of exactly one hole, and the target is a 50-foot circle. Easy, right? Not so fast. The tee to that hole is 2,550 feet up the side of a mountain, and nearly three miles from the green. So yes, you have to be able to pound the golf ball with some accuracy a la Briny Baird hitting off a building in San Diego or golfers belting off the side of a mountain in South Africa -- but after that, you've still got miles to go before you sleep.

The rules alone should give you an idea of how hard the course is. You're allowed ten balls, and must finish with at least one of those. If you can't find one of your balls in 20 minutes, it's a stroke. You can tee up every single shot because the terrain is so rugged. You're even allowed three spotters to watch where the heck your ball goes.

And they'll have plenty to see. Hazards include abandoned mine shafts, remote canyons, rattlesnakes, mountain lions and much more. No need to take a full bag; many golfers get by with only a driver and a five-iron.

Named for Elfego Baga, a local peacekeeper during the Old West, the one-hole shootout is part of the larger Socorro Open, and was first played in 1960. Since then, about the only difference is that the players have begun using laser range-finders. The hazards haven't changed one bit.

Oh, and the course record? Nine strokes to cover three miles. Beat that, Tiger.

-For more daily golf coverage, click here to bookmark Yahoo! Sports' Devil Ball blog, and follow us on Twitter.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

The Real Laoislad

In the USA in 1923, who was:

1.  President of the largest steel company?
        2.  President of the largest gas company?
        3.  President of the New York stock Exchange?
        4.  Greatest wheat speculator?
        5.  President of the Bank of International Settlement?
        6.  Great Bear of Wall Street?

These men were considered some of the world's most successful in their day.

Now, 84 years later, do you know what ultimately became of them?

The Answers:

1. The president of the largest steel company, Charles Schwab, died a pauper.

2. The president of the largest gas company, Edward Hopson, went insane.

3. The president of the NYSE, Richard Whitney, was released from prison to die at home.

4.  The greatest wheat speculator, Arthur Cooger, died abroad, penniless.

5.  The president of the Bank of International Settlement shot himself.

6.  The Great Bear of Wall  Street, Cosabee Livermore, also committed suicide.

In that same year, 1923, the PGA Champion and the winner of the most important golf tournament, the US Open, was Gene Sarazen.
        What became of him?

He  played golf until he was 92 & died financially secure in 1999 at the age of 95.

THE MORAL OF THE STORY ? :

f**k work  -  Play golf.

You'll Never Walk Alone.

venter

I played a 4 ball in athenry on friday. Got out at 9am and took just over 4 hours to complete. nice course.
The weather was great for the weekend. Got three rounds in over the weekend
What would ye consider good value for a lesson (in money terms)?

venter

another question:
Could any of you recommend a pro for lessons in galway / south Mayo area?

Thanks, Venter