Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: thewobbler on February 10, 2017, 12:06:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 10, 2017, 11:48:55 AM
Quote from: No wides on February 10, 2017, 11:30:30 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 10, 2017, 11:19:34 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 10, 2017, 10:53:53 AM
But again, by defending the squeezed middle and highlighting the role of the media, the undertones of what you're saying is that a much larger proportion of people who voted for Brexit (than against it) only did so because they are either a) stupid, b) brainwashed, or c) brainwashed and stupid.

Disagreeing with someone is one thing, but I expect them to be able to coherently rationalise their own point of view.

Quote from: thewobbler on February 10, 2017, 10:53:53 AM
What I get from this is that while newspapers have influence, most people will actually look at their own situation when casting a vote. If it's good, okay, or even "least worst", they'll vote to maintain the status quo.  If not, they'll look for alternatives. That, in my unqualified opinion, is why Brexit happened. I believe it had little or nothing to do with racism or the NHS; they were just the stories used to fill column inches that people no longer read. A succession of UK governments have seen life become a little tougher and less fair for its citizens. This was the response.

Once again, as per my point above, I expect them to able to articulate how this response will actually improve things. I don't buy this "less roll the dice and see what happens" because many thousands of other people will have their lives adversely affected by the change (and I don't mean me).

Because you in your ivory tower didn't buy it are seriously saying you speak for the masses.  Many people saw brexit as a new start, and thought anything was better than the status quo.
Why did they think Brexit was a new start ?

Sure why vote for anything, ever?
People voted for Fianna Fail in 2007. That was pretty stupid

No wides

Sure it is all people spending on their credit cards!!!!

seafoid

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/10/brexit-transitional-deal-will-lock-uk-into-eu-court-guy-verhofstadt

Verhofstadt said that he was concerned about the ramifications for the peace process in Northern Ireland following the UK's withdrawal. "Everybody is anxious and saying we don't want to return to the past. If you take Brexit as it is then, yes, you create a hard border again. Nobody thinks that is a good solution.
"How to have a Brexit and no hard border? That is the question and it is not only through some technical innovations, cameras and sensors [on a customs border]. That's a real concern."

Milltown Row2

Do the other counties like Switzerland and Norway who have borders in Europe, that are not part of the EU have hard borders and poverty??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Norway/ Sweden is a line on the map .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 10, 2017, 07:25:46 PM
Do the other counties like Switzerland and Norway who have borders in Europe, that are not part of the EU have hard borders and poverty??

How about Bulgaria/Turkey (and Turkey is in the Customs Union)

But the point is not exactly how awful it is, it is why the f**k should we put up with it being made worse than it is today.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on February 10, 2017, 07:30:27 PM

I'm glad you told me that... now someone with a brain please, who knows this stuff tell me do the hard borders stop the flow of people goods and trade between these countries? And do the do well economically??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on February 10, 2017, 07:50:10 PM

How about answering my question without throwing up another ? That way we can keep on track?

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 10, 2017, 07:52:54 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 10, 2017, 07:50:10 PM

How about answering my question without throwing up another ? That way we can keep on track?

I doubt whether we'll keep on track anyway as you question's don't really represent an interest in the Norwegian economy, unless perhaps its troll population.

Agricultural goods may not pass freely between Norway and Sweden for one thing .

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 10, 2017, 07:52:01 PM

I'm glad you told me that... now someone with a brain please, who knows this stuff tell me do the hard borders stop the flow of people goods and trade between these countries? And do the do well economically??
There are border posts at all crossings between France and Switz. Cars are stopped. There are limits on the value of goods per person carried over the border. Business transactions have to be documented and approved.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on February 10, 2017, 08:10:43 PM

There are border posts at all crossings between France and Switz. Cars are stopped. There are limits on the value of goods per person carried over the border. Business transactions have to be documented and approved.

Yeah I've been through the border before and I never felt as if it was a problem to be honest is Switzerland still operating as a country ? Do they have a decent economy??

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 10, 2017, 08:17:16 PM
Yeah I've been through the border before and I never felt as if it was a problem to be honest is Switzerland still operating as a country ? Do they have a decent economy??

Presumably you acquainted yourself with working of EU borders before voting in the Brexit referendum?

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 10, 2017, 08:17:16 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 10, 2017, 08:10:43 PM

They have pretty serious deflation. They voted in 2014 to limit EU immigration and were kicked out of Erasmus. they have spent 3 years negotiating with the EU to find a compromise. The EU takes a huge chunk of Swiss exports. Only Pharma is doing well these days.