Sigerson Cup 2024

Started by mad tan, January 08, 2024, 08:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

A great result for Queens against DCU. Horrible game. Both teams afraid to do anything. 15 behind the ball with very little attacking innovation. Both as bad as one another.

It was Jerome Quinn on commentary with a local Belfast man who hadn't a notion. I like Jerome as he delivers good coverage but his commentary is like commentating on a funeral. Slow and random. His co-commentator was absolutely clueless. Didnt know players, what was happening and just generally very poor. I turned it down after a while.

Great result for DIT in Galway also. 

Blowitupref

Quote from: shark on January 10, 2024, 09:22:48 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 09, 2024, 09:20:02 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on January 09, 2024, 08:31:58 PMAnother surprise result. University of Galway 1-10 TU Dublin 2-8

Was up at it. Big shock alright. Trinity just hung in there. Few minutes left and they were 2 points down when one of their players tried a point attempt from way out. Ball went high in the air but dropped well short into the keeper. Nobody near him. Under no real pressure. He caught the ball into his stomach but let it slip through his arms and he fumbled it into the net. Huge howler. Galway had a late free from almost straight in front of the posts to take it to extra time but Ryan O'Donoghue kicked it against the post and it went wide. Bad miss really as there wasn't a drop of wind out tonight.

It's hard to keep up with the name changes, but I don't think TU Dublin is Trinity. Isn't it the former DIT ?

Technological University Dublin their official name. It the former DIT and plus Tallagh and Blanchardstown.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

God14

Dont take it too seriously lads, i watched it myself. Wasnt a great match as a spectacle, but it was FOC on youtube. The replays were super quick, it was generally very good production wise. A game we otherwise would never have seen.

The younger McCloskey looks a real good player by the way. One for Derry for sure.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: shark on January 10, 2024, 09:22:48 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on January 09, 2024, 08:31:58 PMAnother surprise result. University of Galway 1-10 TU Dublin 2-8

Was up at it. Big shock alright. Trinity just hung in there. Few minutes left and they were 2 points down when one of their players tried a point attempt from way out. Ball went high in the air but dropped well short into the keeper. Nobody near him. Under no real pressure. He caught the ball into his stomach but let it slip through his arms and he fumbled it into the net. Huge howler. Galway had a late free from almost straight in front of the posts to take it to extra time but Ryan O'Donoghue kicked it against the post and it went wide. Bad miss really as there wasn't a drop of wind out tonight.

It's hard to keep up with the name changes, but I don't think TU Dublin is Trinity. Isn't it the former DIT ?

You're correct. The name changes have me confused.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 10, 2024, 09:37:59 AM

Not many forwards named to start in the Galway team although Sheriden has form in that department! Surprised not to see O'Currain starting, seems like he made an impact when he came on anyways?

Doesn't seem like Sean Kelly will play any part in this competition so must be doubtful for Galways first few league games.

O'Curraoin was very good when he came on. Scored two great points. Very close to a third. Just dropped short. Sheridan picking two corner forwards who are better known as backs seemed an odd decision alright. Presume Tommy Conroy has a knock as he was there but never came on.

Blowitupref

One sided match in the 2:30pm game.

UCD 1-22 ATU Galway 1-5.

UU v UCC tonight at 7:30 will be live on this https://www.youtube.com/live/Q7MiYfO2rjE?si=G8vaHA_K_Fhm5Ks8

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

imtommygunn

I don't know if I can face another game tonight after that one last night!

Blowitupref

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 10, 2024, 04:08:07 PMI don't know if I can face another game tonight after that one last night!

It was a decent 2nd half but most probably switched off at half time.

imtommygunn

I missed most of the 2nd half tbf. The last 5-10 minutes were decent.

The commentary as people said was tough to listen. Jerome does great things providing us with all this coverage but his commentating maybe isn't the best!

I dunno what commentator you could get who would be up with the players year on year. I think he has a close enough affiliation with Queens as he's coached there before.

trailer

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 10, 2024, 04:07:33 PMOne sided match in the 2:30pm game.

UCD 1-22 ATU Galway 1-5.

UU v UCC tonight at 7:30 will be live on this https://www.youtube.com/live/Q7MiYfO2rjE?si=G8vaHA_K_Fhm5Ks8

UU will be all set having got their colouring-in submitted to their lectures earlier today.

5times5times

Just me, or is there a major drop off of "county stars" that play sigerson these days? pulled 2014 final for example between cork + jtown... littered with big IC names

Ian Maguire Luke Connolly Brian O'Driscoll Conor Cox Michael Quinlivan Paul Geaney

Rory Beggan Chrissy McKaigue Colin Walshe Killian Clarke Matthew Donnelly Nial McKeever Kieran Hughes Ronan O'Neill Jamie Clarke Conor McAlliskey

ck

Quote from: 5times5times on January 10, 2024, 05:20:38 PMJust me, or is there a major drop off of "county stars" that play sigerson these days? pulled 2014 final for example between cork + jtown... littered with big IC names

Ian Maguire Luke Connolly Brian O'Driscoll Conor Cox Michael Quinlivan Paul Geaney

Rory Beggan Chrissy McKaigue Colin Walshe Killian Clarke Matthew Donnelly Nial McKeever Kieran Hughes Ronan O'Neill Jamie Clarke Conor McAlliskey

That really was an exception rather than the norm. Sigerson should always be about discovering and confirming new stars rather than county stars playing. At least that's how it was in my time.

bennydorano

Has it been a rule for long that Freshers can't play Sigerson?

ck

Quote from: bennydorano on January 10, 2024, 06:04:42 PMHas it been a rule for long that Freshers can't play Sigerson?

Yes a long time as far as I know. I remember it as far back as 2007/08 I think

LC

Quote from: trailer on January 10, 2024, 04:50:30 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on January 10, 2024, 04:07:33 PMOne sided match in the 2:30pm game.

UCD 1-22 ATU Galway 1-5.

UU will be all set having got their colouring-in submitted to their lectures earlier today.

I believe UU offer this course at HND, Degree and Post Grad level.......