Previous topic - Next topic

as per Stars demand Should the GAABOARD Shut Down

YES
16 (24.6%)
NO
23 (35.4%)
no but we sold get Central council /Donaghy's permission for each Post
10 (15.4%)
Did you see I have a basketball camp coming up?
16 (24.6%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Voting closed: February 21, 2020, 09:59:23 AM

Eamonnca1

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 19, 2020, 12:52:36 PM
I read the article. He is mostly correct except the GAA can't really do much. Perhaps it could ask Hoganstand to shut down their forums (mostly toxic and of no use) and clubs/counties but an independent forum like this?

To be honest when I started here it was really informative, very witty and bullshit intolerant. If you came in acting the maggot you got a few slaps to knock the corners off you and on we went. It's still the best place I've found if you're looking for information but the bullshit has largely taken over.

Ultimately I don't know what the answer is. I'm still here I suppose.
I find this place mostly informative. It's just a shame some threads degenerate into handbag stuff. If two contributors are having a ding-dong there should be a rule that it can't go on for more than three replies; it gets fierce tedious wading through page after page of it.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 19, 2020, 04:23:05 PM
I read the article. He is mostly correct except the GAA can't really do much. Perhaps it could ask Hoganstand to shut down their forums (mostly toxic and of no use) and clubs/counties but an independent forum like this?

To be honest when I started here it was really informative, very witty and bullshit intolerant. If you came in acting the maggot you got a few slaps to knock the corners off you and on we went. It's still the best place I've found if you're looking for information but the bullshit has largely taken over.

I find this place mostly informative. It's just a shame some threads degenerate into handbag stuff. If two contributors are having a ding-dong there should be a rule that it can't go on for more than three replies; it gets fierce tedious wading through page after page of it.

Hmmm... strangely enuff I'd struggle to find a worse culprit than yourself for that carry-on

whitey

Following that logic RTE should also be shut down

Pundits with an axe to grind admitting to influencing how an AIF is refereed is much more harmful to the game than an online forum that's read by a very small percentage of the population

J70

Donaghy has a completely valid wider point, but his solution is ridiculously ill-informed. The GAA obviously has no authority to shut down this or any other website or social media platform. Its up to the members here and the moderators to keep the standards up by cracking down on trolls and abuse on a couple of fronts. There are the arseholes who post inflammatory shite just to get a reaction; the ones who offer no substantial discussion beyond personal attacks. And then, the stuff Donaghy is on about, the ridiculous and over the top personal attacks on players, managers and referees who are doing their very best at an amateur sport and are not here to defend themselves. The stuff on the referees, in particular, gets very sickening, especially when its geniuses who have had the opportunity to study a replay in hi-def, slowed-down footage from all angles before making their "criticism".

Eamonnca1

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 19, 2020, 04:28:02 PM

Hmmm... strangely enuff I'd struggle to find a worse culprit than yourself for that carry-on

No you don't.

Gmac

Quote from: Million on February 19, 2020, 02:49:59 PM
No.

Social media abuse is a wider societal problem. 'Board abuse' (of which I don't see that much of) will only transfer to other media forms.

The year 2020 - people are so sensitive, just let it fly over your head OR if it's really bothering you go speak to a professional on how to deal with fame and the praise/ criticism that comes along with it.
donaghy and most pundits like to use Twitter especially to promote themselves and products , events they are partnered with , if it wasn't for social media not many people would hear from them.

weareros

Foolish thinking by Donaghy. Where there will always be plenty of scutter written, conversations about GAA are a big part of the lifeblood of the GAA. You kill that (not that it is possible anyway), and you kill a lot of free and more authentic marketing of the games. As everyone knows, the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about. Not everyone can get to the pub to have a chat about the match and the fellas in the pub might not even go to matches, whereas online you will hear the informed views of people who go to county and club games. Would be mad to stifle that.

BennyCake

Quote from: weareros on February 19, 2020, 07:14:10 PM
Foolish thinking by Donaghy. Where there will always be plenty of scutter written, conversations about GAA are a big part of the lifeblood of the GAA. You kill that (not that it is possible anyway), and you kill a lot of free and more authentic marketing of the games. As everyone knows, the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about. Not everyone can get to the pub to have a chat about the match and the fellas in the pub might not even go to matches, whereas online you will hear the informed views of people who go to county and club games. Would be mad to stifle that.

Yes, good points there. You can't stop this forum any more than you could stop the men in the work van talking about the weekends match, or a group of men meeting outside the chapel of a Sunday morning.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 19, 2020, 06:39:13 PM

No you don't.

For consistency under a single username you easily outstrip all your competitors

AFM

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 19, 2020, 07:38:42 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 19, 2020, 06:39:13 PM

No you don't.

For consistency under a single username you easily outstrip all your competitors

;D

sligoman2

Mickey Harte is my hero.
Syferus is great
Mayo is great
The gaa is great.
The rules are great

Now what do I do?
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

charlieTully

Quote from: sligoman2 on February 19, 2020, 08:36:34 PM
Mickey Harte is my hero.
Syferus is great
Mayo is great
The gaa is great.
The rules are great

Now what do I do?

Your sister. Everyone else has.

AFM

Quote from: charlieTully on February 19, 2020, 08:59:45 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on February 19, 2020, 08:36:34 PM
Mickey Harte is my hero.
Syferus is great
Mayo is great
The gaa is great.
The rules are great

Now what do I do?

Your sister. Everyone else has.

Last time I heard something like that, your sister,  your mum was in secondary school, oh and that knob Jimmy Carr.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Gmac on February 19, 2020, 06:58:54 PM
Quote from: Million on February 19, 2020, 02:49:59 PM
No.

Social media abuse is a wider societal problem. 'Board abuse' (of which I don't see that much of) will only transfer to other media forms.

The year 2020 - people are so sensitive, just let it fly over your head OR if it's really bothering you go speak to a professional on how to deal with fame and the praise/ criticism that comes along with it.
donaghy and most pundits like to use Twitter especially to promote themselves and products , events they are partnered with , if it wasn't for social media not many people would hear from them.

100%
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Sandy Hill

I find this place mostly informative. It's just a shame some PRACTICALLY ALL threads degenerate into handbag stuff. If two contributors are having a ding-dong there should be a rule that it can't go on for more than three replies; it gets fierce tedious wading through page after page of it.
"Stercus accidit"