Eighth Amendment poll

Started by Farrandeelin, May 01, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of repealing the 8th amendment?

Yes
47 (21.8%)
Yes but have no vote
73 (33.8%)
No
40 (18.5%)
No but have no vote
36 (16.7%)
Undecided
20 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Voting closed: May 24, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on May 30, 2018, 10:48:23 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on May 30, 2018, 10:42:57 PM
The Church wont change and it won't crumble, I believe. It's been here for 2000 years and faced many pressures from the masses (pardon the pun) and it's still here.

In those 2000 years, the Church has changed beyond recognition.

You understand the Church you so devoutly follow bears little resemblance to that which Christ left behind, yes?
You understand that Christ left the Church in charge under the guidance of the Holy Spirit to guide her? The Church still remains. I didn't say it was a carbon copy of day 1 or day 100 or day 1000, but it remains.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

sid waddell

The Roman Catholic Church (not "the Church" - there is no such thing as "the Church") only recognises the so called "right to life of the unborn" since 1869. So much for it not changing in 2,000 years.

As education levels rise, religion becomes less popular. Education levels in Ireland are a hell of a lot higher than they were 50 or even 30 years ago.

manfromdelmonte

It's an empire of property and wealth

Where are they sending the 'bad eggs' now?

My father broke his brother out of All Hallows College back in the late 60s.
He still thsnks him to this day

Itchy

Quote from: The Iceman on May 30, 2018, 10:59:17 PM
Quote from: gallsman on May 30, 2018, 10:48:23 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on May 30, 2018, 10:42:57 PM
The Church wont change and it won't crumble, I believe. It's been here for 2000 years and faced many pressures from the masses (pardon the pun) and it's still here.

In those 2000 years, the Church has changed beyond recognition.

You understand the Church you so devoutly follow bears little resemblance to that which Christ left behind, yes?
You understand that Christ left the Church in charge under the guidance of the Holy Spirit to guide her? The Church still remains. I didn't say it was a carbon copy of day 1 or day 100 or day 1000, but it remains.

So we should talk to the holy spirit about recouping the money owed to the Irish state for compensation to sex abuse victims. Do you have a number for him?

Eamonnca1

Stands to reason that the church is recruiting in countries where poverty is rife and education levels are low. As societies become more educated they become less religious. I hear the tobacco industry is also making in-roads in Africa since more people in the western world are waking up to the scam they've been running. I'm sure as living standards in Africa improve then the people of that continent will rid themselves of tobacco, religion, and other menaces.

longballin

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 31, 2018, 12:15:30 AM
Stands to reason that the church is recruiting in countries where poverty is rife and education levels are low. As societies become more educated they become less religious. I hear the tobacco industry is also making in-roads in Africa since more people in the western world are waking up to the scam they've been running. I'm sure as living standards in Africa improve then the people of that continent will rid themselves of tobacco, religion, and other menaces.

Yeah church draws itself to the most vulnerable sadly not for the most altruistic reasons... abuse, control and exploit.

sid waddell

Quote from: The Iceman on May 30, 2018, 10:59:17 PM

You understand that Christ left the Church in charge under the guidance of the Holy Spirit to guide her?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 30, 2018, 09:16:06 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on May 30, 2018, 09:13:53 PM
Wouldn't be much of a Church fan - but fair enough if they extrapolate "the rules" and continue to take a hardline on their remaining congregations who for all intents and purposes can be called 'A la Carte' Catholics. They are going to have to draw some hard lines in the sand should their resolve to stamp out any degree of A la carte Catholicism and we could end up with tens of new variations of Protestantism coming out of the OG Catholic Church.

When the coffers dry and the diocese needs some Weddings and Christenings back in the door, we will see if money talks.

Personally I don't think they'll be allowed to let it get there. Rome will intervene but the Church as we know it, will not continue to endure. If it does persevere it will be come a minority religion.

Agreed. I foresee a sort of Vatican Council, with more liberal re-interpretations of things like contraception and gay marriage. I also foresee women priests, or at least that male priests will be allowed marry. They have to do something about the number of vocations or it will die out anyway.

Well said. There's hardly any body joining the priesthood now.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: seafoid on May 28, 2018, 11:15:44 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/catholics-who-voted-yes-should-consider-confession-says-bishop-1.3511127

Could you throw him a few quid to help with the pope's visit and go to one of the papal masses?  Would that earn an indulgence to offset your vote?

/Jim.

LeoMc

Quote from: seafoid on May 31, 2018, 12:03:56 PM
https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/priest-tells-st-vincent-de-paul-to-remove-clothing-bank-from-church-car-park-in-row-over-eighth-campaign-36963884.html

"Now that the campaign is over I have contacted our local SVP society to reinstate the clothes bank and I am happy to work closely with the society in the parish."

Sounds like he got his knuckles rapped for that.