Is gaaboard on the way out?

Started by Old yeller, January 10, 2014, 11:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think Gaaboard is dying a slow death?

Yes
No
Hasnt changed

BennyHarp

I blame the Ulster Council but it's probably Mickey Harte's fault.
That was never a square ball!!

rodney trotter

Quote from: Old yeller on January 11, 2014, 10:46:41 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on January 11, 2014, 12:53:18 AM
May aswell name an shame them all. Awful pity we can't live up to your high expectation.

Excellent contribution Rodders, cheers

Nah your's was better., the usual dicks on the Cavan thread. Are you 10?

AZOffaly

I don't think it's on the way out because a forum is still the best way for large groups to discuss topics in an easy to follow manner. What has probably changed with the advent of new social media is that this board probably no longer 'breaks' news to us. When I first started using this board back in the late 1990s it was literally my first port of call for news about GAA, and other things, because it was essentially a collection of local correspondents.

Now the latest news is coming from the horses mouth on twitter or Facebook, and so forums like this have changed to become retrospective discussions about the news, or previews of seasons, matches etc.  I think the board is holding up reasonably well given that change, and is still a very interesting read.

Also should be noted that the original cadre, which still feature heavily, are getting older, married, becoming parents and/or getting more responsible jobs so the chance to have hundreds of posts per day is reduced.

Finally, as seafoid says, this is January, and just about the end of the quietest period of the GAA year.

Old yeller

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 11, 2014, 10:55:22 AM
Quote from: Old yeller on January 11, 2014, 10:46:41 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on January 11, 2014, 12:53:18 AM
May aswell name an shame them all. Awful pity we can't live up to your high expectation.

Excellent contribution Rodders, cheers

Nah your's was better., the usual dicks on the Cavan thread. Are you 10?
Thats exactly the type of crap im on about. When did I say "the usual dicks on the Cavan thread"?
You obviously think I was referring to you because you are awful sensitive about it. I wasnt

ONeill

If someone posts on this board in the desert, can anyone hear it?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

There's too much arguing going on over whether there's not enough arguing going on.

seafoid

Quote from: orangeman on January 11, 2014, 10:45:54 AM
Quote from: seafoid on January 11, 2014, 10:42:35 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 11, 2014, 09:12:00 AM
The Cavan thread has definitely quietened down which is strange given that our lot has improved significantly. Maybe it is that Irish thing where we are never happy unless we are complaining! Some of the posters who were always here like Ballyhaiseman and Boojangles are hardly ever posting for whatever reason these days and we have had many posters come and go over the years. I suppose at the moment if we have 10 active posters thats probably the height of it.

Old Yeller, I am intrigued that as a member since December you can say that people have stopped posting due to assholes in the Cavan thread. To the best of my knowledge there hasnt been any major arguments over there in a long time so I am guessing you are talking about stuff further back. I assume you are the reincarnation of a previous poster? We had Homer once from Ballinagh, is that you?

Myles

I think on internet discussions if you want loads of traffic you either have to have 2 diametrically opposed groups with an interest in trashing the views of the other side or else loads of new content all the time. Trolls can move the dial for a while but people figure them out and then things revert to normal.
For things like GAA at this time of the year there isn't much content.

Gerald Mc Carthy and the strikers were a good example of that. Reillers and a few of us myself included, weren't long in getting a few pages filled.

That's the answer ! We need another strike or two.
I bought the ould fella Donal Og's autobiography for Christmas. He said fair play to the coming out but the strike behavior was unacceptable. "You have to be ready to compromise in industrial relations" and "Cork didn't win anything since".

ONeill

Quote from: seafoid on January 11, 2014, 06:29:52 AM
Quote from: ONeill on January 11, 2014, 12:05:41 AM
2008 - 22000 posts
2009 - 26000 posts
2010 - 19000
2011 - 16000
2012 - 12.4
2013 - 12.1

Topics at a descending rate since 2007

2007 - 5194
2013 - 1541

Austerity.

A good few potential posters have emigrated.

In fairness most of the 5194 topics in 2007 were trivial.
Have you got any quality measurements going back to 2007 ?

And this sort of thread never seems to come up in June. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzeDgHgk7qs

Some great threads since 2007 such as http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=2698.0

orangeman

Quote from: seafoid on January 11, 2014, 11:15:09 AM
The Cavan thread has definitely quietened down which is strange given that our lot has improved significantly. Maybe it is that Irish thing where we are never happy unless we are complaining! Some of the posters who were always here like Ballyhaiseman and Boojangles are hardly ever posting for whatever reason these days and we have had many posters come and go over the years. I suppose at the moment if we have 10 active posters thats probably the height of it.

Old Yeller, I am intrigued that as a member since December you can say that people have stopped posting due to assholes in the Cavan thread. To the best of my knowledge there hasnt been any major arguments over there in a long time so I am guessing you are talking about stuff further back. I assume you are the reincarnation of a previous poster? We had Homer once from Ballinagh, is that you?

Myles

I think on internet discussions if you want loads of traffic you either have to have 2 diametrically opposed groups with an interest in trashing the views of the other side or else loads of new content all the time. Trolls can move the dial for a while but people figure them out and then things revert to normal.

Gerald Mc Carthy and the strikers were a good example of that. Reillers and a few of us myself included, weren't long in getting a few pages filled.

I bought the ould fella Donal Og's autobiography for Christmas. He said fair play to the coming out but the strike behavior was unacceptable. "You have to be ready to compromise in industrial relations" and "Cork didn't win anything since".

They were a puck of the ball away last year.

It's all Frank's fault. I knew it would finish up like this.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Old yeller on January 11, 2014, 10:43:39 AM

No Myles, ive followed the Cavan thread for the last 5 years or so but never signed up because I was living abroad and never got to any of the games and didnt really have much to add

Well fair enough but why do you think people left due to assholes posting? I have my own theory and I think a few lads might have backed down due to people figuring out who they are, which does make it difficult to come on and give an honest appraisal on certain topics. When the cavan thread was flying was normally due to a controversy of some sort such as SJ affair or the Donal Keoghan lock ins or Ballyhaiseman starting a "manager out" thread. When things are going a bit better and lads are in general agreement that the manager and players are doing a great job, well there is less to talk about really. One thing that is a pity is that there is very little commentary on club matches, really only Rodney and Westside and maybe Packiedevlin mention them now.

ziggysego

Quote from: ONeill on January 11, 2014, 11:09:29 AM
If someone posts on this board in the desert, can anyone hear it?

No, but you might be able to read it. All depends on the internet connect is like in the desert. Desert.... I feel like some dessert. Is there any ice cream about? What's your favourite brand of ice cream? Mine's is Mauds.... or it that Maud's? Hard to tell really, as some brands don't use apostrophe. Apostrophe... that's a funny old word. I had to Google it, to make sure I was spelling it right. I wasn't by the way. Funny how the world has changed. We used to be able to spell, then we started using the dictionary to learn words we couldn't and now we just Google. God, we're getting lazy. Dictionary... what happens if you don't know how to spell dictionary? I guess you can just look at the cover of the book. What am I talking about, I'd just Google it.
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Post of the year and it's not even St Brigid's Day

seafoid

Quote from: orangeman on January 11, 2014, 11:27:21 AM
Quote from: seafoid on January 11, 2014, 11:15:09 AM

Myles

They were a puck of the ball away last year.

It's all Frank's fault. I knew it would finish up like this.
It wasn't cork that stopped the cats winning 5 in a row. It was Tipp.
Cork weren't that far off the pace in 2006 and they are only getting their shit together again now.

anglocelt39

there's far more competition in place now since GAA board started up. If I want to get the up to date on what's happening I can go on Twitter and get a blow by blow account of what's happening in games, I don't need to come on here to know who lined out, who scored etc. Similalrly Paul Fitz in the Celt does top class real time reporting on fixtures. Less need to use this space.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Old yeller

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 11, 2014, 11:31:30 AM
Quote from: Old yeller on January 11, 2014, 10:43:39 AM

No Myles, ive followed the Cavan thread for the last 5 years or so but never signed up because I was living abroad and never got to any of the games and didnt really have much to add

Well fair enough but why do you think people left due to assholes posting? I have my own theory and I think a few lads might have backed down due to people figuring out who they are, which does make it difficult to come on and give an honest appraisal on certain topics. When the cavan thread was flying was normally due to a controversy of some sort such as SJ affair or the Donal Keoghan lock ins or Ballyhaiseman starting a "manager out" thread. When things are going a bit better and lads are in general agreement that the manager and players are doing a great job, well there is less to talk about really. One thing that is a pity is that there is very little commentary on club matches, really only Rodney and Westside and maybe Packiedevlin mention them now.
Yeah, its hard to get info up about the club matches alright. I think the whole SJ saga turned a lot of lads off to be honest. Some of the arguements were childish in the extreme and it was impossible for anyone to make a point about it without being ridiculed! Boojangles is a big loss to the Cavan thread, always had plenty of info