Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: seafoid on February 06, 2019, 02:34:11 PM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on February 06, 2019, 02:27:09 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 06, 2019, 02:13:06 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 06, 2019, 02:01:26 PM
I know Tusk must be seething underneath but jeez does this not play into Brexiteers hands!

Wee Sammy Wilson has his speak.

https://twitter.com/eastantrimmp/status/1093126875524878336

The usual 'no surrender' crap that he comes out with.
2 words jumped out at me

Prosperous
arrogant (negotiators)

Weyand and Barnier walked all over the Brits in the negotiations
whatever Breexit happens will make the UK poorer

First word jumped out at me was corruption.

J70

I know Tusk must be seething underneath but jeez does this not play into Brexiteers hands!

Are there still people out there who respond to this ridiculous, apocalyptic , biblical-flavoured DUP hype?

He forgot the flames and cloven hooves.

HiMucker

Stormont would be a good location

ziggysego

Now Arlene has a wee word and she thinks it's a sign the EU is under pressure....  ???

https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1093162932496674816
Testing Accessibility

yellowcard

Quote from: ziggysego on February 06, 2019, 03:16:45 PM

Now Arlene has a wee word and she thinks it's a sign the EU is under pressure....  ???

Arlene probably feels as though she has the EU where she wants them crumbling under the pressure and hurtling towards her favoured no deal. 

seafoid

Quote from: yellowcard on February 06, 2019, 03:32:14 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 06, 2019, 03:16:45 PM

Arlene probably feels as though she has the EU where she wants them crumbling under the pressure and hurtling towards her favoured no deal.

https://www.ft.com/content/dddd1d26-295b-11e9-a5ab-ff8ef2b976c7

EU prepares for looming no-deal Brexit — and ensuing blame game
Brussels seeks to appear accommodating while stepping up preparations for UK crashing out
Alex Barker in Brussels

Diplomats in Brussels say there is one telling measure of the low reached in the Brexit saga: the political blame game has started over responsibility for a chaotic no-deal exit. From the moment Britain triggered the two-year Article 50 clock on its departure in March 2017, the "cliff-edge" threat has been used by Brussels negotiators, both to exert pressure and kick-start national planning for the worst.
But this scenario, once dismissed as a theoretical doomsday outcome, has taken on new urgency since Westminster overwhelmingly rejected Theresa May's draft deal, prompting her to seek a renegotiation just weeks before Britain's March 29 departure date. "My analysis is that we are really heading for the abyss," said one senior EU figure handling Brexit. "We may extend to June. But it is coming. The risk of no-deal is huge."
The drumbeat of planning helps those, like German chancellor Angela Merkel, who see the Brexit brinkmanship as potentially helping shift support in favour of a deal in Westminster. But the EU is also adjusting its thinking and energy, with an emphasis on three priorities: making sure voters do not find their leaders at fault for the costs of a hard Brexit; mitigating the worst effects of such a crash-out, even if it temporarily bends some EU principles;and, finally, working out how to pick up the pieces afterwards.
"A three months extension is likely," said Rem Korteweg, a research fellow at Clingendael, the Netherlands Institute of International Relations. "But it is not to give the UK a shot at another agreement. It is to give the EU more time to prepare itself for no-deal. They will not say this out loud, but this is the calculus."
GETTING AHEAD OF THE POLITICAL BLAME GAMEBrussels has long written off the possibility of convincing the British public. The focus of the EU27 is instead on winning the battle at home. The first challenge is ensuring Mrs May takes "ownership" of a deal, and that the public see it as being crafted around her red lines. For Brussels, with ownership also comes the responsibility for setting it right and securing ratification.

A senior EU diplomat said the "gruelling" call last week between Mrs May and Donald Tusk, the European Council president, hit a particular low when the prime minister suggested the EU come forward with new ideas to salvage the Brexit deal. Mr Tusk made clear it was time for Britain to step up with written solutions, backed by a sustainable House of Commons majority.
FLEXIBLE ON TIMING, INFLEXIBLE ON SUBSTANCE

Ms Merkel is concerned about being blamed for Brexit going wrong in the run-up to May's European Parliament elections, which coincides with a clutch of German regional polls.Other European capitals expect the chancellor to appear as accommodating as possible, without changing the withdrawal agreement save for a few cosmetic frills. "She wants to be seen doing everything she can to avoid it," said one senior EU diplomat. "If it then happens, then that is fine."Her willingness to help may be most evident over a possible extension request. Ms Merkel and German ministers have urged Britain to take its time. "If on substance there is no flexibility, then you have to be flexible on process," the diplomat added.France, meanwhile, has raised more worries about Britain seeking serial extensions beyond March. Rather than draw out the process, some French officials are advocating a one-off, longer extension, especially if Britain seems no closer to being able to endorse a deal.MITIGATING THE EFFECTS OF A CHAOTIC DEPARTUREFor the EU countries with the deepest trade ties with Britain — Ireland, the Netherlands, Germany, France, and Belgium — there are no illusions about how messy and costly a no-deal Brexit will be.
Day one, two, three of a no-deal exit would be a new world. It will be totally different. Britain will be in turmoil. There will be frustration, protests, possibly a general election
Pierre Vimont, veteran French diplomat
The EU has taken steps to avoid the worst effects, rushing through emergency laws on everything from transport rights to compensation for fishermen who lose access to UK waters.But hard Brexit will amount to an overnight legal revolution, and officials admit it is impossible to be fully prepared to manage the disorder after Brexit. "There will be gaps. We can soften the landing, but there will be a landing," said one of the main figures involved in Brexit talks.The blowback risks have swayed a group of member states, led by France, to advocate a more pragmatic approach to contingency measures. "As long as the principles remain, I have no problem being a bit softer in important areas," said a senior member state official handling Brexit.One ambassador in Brussels said that the accelerated preparations were allaying some concerns about the worst case. "People start to say it's do-able because it is not a huge snowball coming our way. We understand [the risks] better. It is bad, but the system is delivering."GETTING THE MOST OUT OF THE UK IN THE AFTERMATHTwo of the most difficult challenges of a no-deal Brexit — the Northern Ireland border and the hole left in the EU budget from missing UK contributions — are still largely sidestepped in public EU preparations. The issues are so important and potentially so divisive they will be the last to be publicly addressed in contingency planning — and probably the first to be reopened with the UK in the wake of a no-deal exit.
Senior EU negotiators privately express confidence that the Brexit upheaval will force the UK to plead for leniency within weeks.Guntram Wolff of the Bruegel think-tank says the EU should "refuse to make concessions on emergency measures" to soften the hit to the UK after Brexit "in the absence of a substantial financial contribution". He puts the gap in the EU budget up to the end of 2020 at €16.5bn in total.EU officials are also thinking through how to resurrect elements of the backstop plan for Northern Ireland — the main impediment to the approval of an exit deal in the Commons. The UK "would be back at the negotiating table in a significantly weaker position", said the senior EU diplomat. Brexit: how to hold a second referendumSome in Brussels are more cautious about the constraints to such aftermath talks, particularly over Northern Ireland."Day one, two, three of a no-deal exit would be a new world. It will be totally different. Britain will be in turmoil. There will be frustration, protests, possibly a general election," said Pierre Vimont, a veteran French diplomat who led the EU's diplomatic service. "There may be many things that prevent efforts to calm the situation, or the British government coming back to say: 'I was only joking, let's talk and find a way out of this.'"He added: "My feeling is that it will not be so easy to keep a grip on political events. We should not underestimate the disorder and destabilisation there may be on both sides."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Harold Disgracey

yellowcard

One of the few bright spots of the Brexit process have been the 'performances' of Bercow in the House of Commons.

Rossfan

Time those SNP MPs did what we did in 1919....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: ziggysego on February 06, 2019, 02:34:16 PM

At least now he's taking it international and the rest of the world can see what we've had to put up with I suppose.  ::)

Yes but whenever brexit is done with, Europe and Britain will forget all about the DUP and sammy and co will crawl back to the north and continue to spout their bigotry. And we'll continue to have to put up with them. And nothing will ever change.

seafoid

Quote from: BennyCake on February 06, 2019, 05:17:16 PM

At least now he's taking it international and the rest of the world can see what we've had to put up with I suppose.  ::)

Yes but whenever brexit is done with, Europe and Britain will forget all about the DUP and sammy and co will crawl back to the north and continue to spout their bigotry. And we'll continue to have to put up with them. And nothing will ever change.
The demographics are only going one way
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: seafoid on February 06, 2019, 05:35:12 PM

Beat me to it.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

yellowcard

https://www.ft.com/content/7d5244a0-f22d-11e8-ae55-df4bf40f9d0d

There could even be an overall catholic majority by the time of the next census which is only 2 years away in 2021, certainly it will be nearing an equal split. That is no guarantee that a border poll could be won but I think it is a definite possibility within the next 10/15 years given the moving demographics. That last census poll is 8 years old which means that in each 10 year age category up to mid 40's there is now a catholic majority. That is no guarantee of winning a border poll but I feel that a no deal Brexit would be a game changer in that respect for those in the middle.

I don't think it is sensible to be calling for a poll until the outcome of Brexit is settled but pre Brexit it was only a distant pipe dream for most nationalists, at least certainly a generation away. The DUP backed the wrong horse from the outset.

red hander

Quote from: yellowcard on February 06, 2019, 06:58:33 PM

There could even be an overall catholic majority by the time of the next census which is only 2 years away in 2021, certainly it will be nearing an equal split. That is no guarantee that a border poll could be won but I think it is a definite possibility within the next 10/15 years given the moving demographics. That last census poll is 8 years old which means that in each 10 year age category up to mid 40's there is now a catholic majority. That is no guarantee of winning a border poll but I feel that a no deal Brexit would be a game changer in that respect for those in the middle.

I don't think it is sensible to be calling for a poll until the outcome of Brexit is settled but pre Brexit it was only a distant pipe dream for most nationalists, at least certainly a generation away. The DUP backed the wrong horse from the outset.

While Brexit has certainly played a massive part in the change of attitude, it's not the only factor. The DUP under Foster has literally attempted to rub the noses of nationalists/republicans in the dirt. A friend who knows a leading light in the north's business fraternity told him they had been in conversation with several DUP members who were actually shocked by how bitter Foster really is. The Shinners only grew a set and brought Stormont down because their own voters let it be known in no uncertain terms that enough was enough. Yet still the Shinners were prepared to bend the knee with the wishy-washy agreement they made to re-establish Stormont, only for Foster to stab them in the back again and renege on it after both the UDA and Orange Order let her know it was unacceptable. Foster has done more to advance Irish unity than Ian Paisley ever did, and she's done more to ensure that Stormont will never sit again. Credit where it's due... well done Arlene

marty34

Quote from: red hander on February 06, 2019, 07:21:37 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 06, 2019, 06:58:33 PM

While Brexit has certainly played a massive part in the change of attitude, it's not the only factor. The DUP under Foster has literally attempted to rub the noses of nationalists/republicans in the dirt. A friend who knows a leading light in the north's business fraternity told him they had been in conversation with several DUP members who were actually shocked by how bitter Foster really is. The Shinners only grew a set and brought Stormont down because their own voters let it be known in no uncertain terms that enough was enough. Yet still the Shinners were prepared to bend the knee with the wishy-washy agreement they made to re-establish Stormont, only for Foster to stab them in the back again and renege on it after both the UDA and Orange Order let her know it was unacceptable. Foster has done more to advance Irish unity than Ian Paisley ever did, and she's done more to ensure that Stormont will never sit again. Credit where it's due... well done Arlene

Stomont, in a government way is gone forever.  Nationals are now looking towards Dublin and a new type of Ireland.

The DUP had there chance and blew it with bigotry.  The straw that broke the camel's back was the Liofa funding granr being taken away.  That was that - party over.

The next question is what are Dublin government doing to re-unite Ireland?  Not much I reckon.  Going by the big nationalist gathering in The Waterfront Hall a few weeks ago, they, the Dublin government, are well out of touch with northern nationalists.

Only positive thing is that now they know how bigoted and difficult the DUP are!!