Kerry v Mayo NFL D1; Round 1

Started by Farrandeelin, January 28, 2015, 05:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: twohands!!! on February 01, 2015, 08:49:09 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on February 01, 2015, 07:33:51 PM
Ban this Darby idiot please someone.  >:(

Mayo much thee better team today. To be expected in fairness but we had a strong team out.

Best wishes to Evan Regan after that horrible fall..was worried it was more serious when I saw it.

I really don't buy that this was a strong Kerry team. I think ye Kerry lads are trying to sell Mayo a bit of a pup.

Looking at the teamsheets and subs and who Kerry had missing, I'd be shocked if this is not the weakest side Kerry have out all year by a fair distance.

The Kerry bench bar Walsh was very weak I thought - looked to be all lads new to intercounty football and lads who had a bit to go yet to get up to the physicality of intercounty standard.

The Kerry defence was missing O'Se, O'Mahoney, Young, Crowley and Enright as well as Kelly in goals. While O'Se and O'Mahoney don't have a lot of time left, that's a hell of a lot of experience to take out of a defence in one fell swoop. Winning an All-Ireland medal is all well and good but it doesn't suddenly bestow years of experience on a player. Paul Murphy looked to be the 2nd more experienced player for Kerry in the defence.

I think if you compared the levels of experience in terms of number of intercounty games/seasons, especially with the benches Mayo would have had far more experienced panel out there today.

If I were a Mayoman I'd be glad of the points but from today it looks like there will be no quick fix to the same issues that have caused Mayo problems in recent championships.

Such as?

From the Bunker

Mayo much thee better team today. To be expected in fairness but we had a strong team out.

Best wishes to Evan Regan after that horrible fall..was worried it was more serious when I saw it.

I really don't buy that this was a strong Kerry team. I think ye Kerry lads are trying to sell Mayo a bit of a pup.

Looking at the teamsheets and subs and who Kerry had missing, I'd be shocked if this is not the weakest side Kerry have out all year by a fair distance.

The Kerry bench bar Walsh was very weak I thought - looked to be all lads new to intercounty football and lads who had a bit to go yet to get up to the physicality of intercounty standard.

The Kerry defence was missing O'Se, O'Mahoney, Young, Crowley and Enright as well as Kelly in goals. While O'Se and O'Mahoney don't have a lot of time left, that's a hell of a lot of experience to take out of a defence in one fell swoop. Winning an All-Ireland medal is all well and good but it doesn't suddenly bestow years of experience on a player. Paul Murphy looked to be the 2nd more experienced player for Kerry in the defence.

I think if you compared the levels of experience in terms of number of intercounty games/seasons, especially with the benches Mayo would have had far more experienced panel out there today.

If I were a Mayoman I'd be glad of the points but from today it looks like there will be no quick fix to the same issues that have caused Mayo problems in recent championships.

As i said about todays game. It was a bit of a nothing game. There to be won from the start from a Mayo perspective. If they had not done this they would have serious problems. They won, got the job done. Who was put up against them was not their fault and in fairness does no more to highlight any issues Mayo have this year as opposed to last year. Remember the All Ireland Champions needed 2 games and extra time along with a favourable referee and venue to beat us. So we have hell all to sort out really to be there or there abouts!

muppet

Quote from: moysider on February 01, 2015, 09:22:59 PM

Such as?

C'mon there must be a hundred well flogged cliches to choose from there.

Try a few of these:

No marquee forwards
No marquee backs
No marquee
Choke in September - which of course is ALWAYS the first thing you like to see fixed in February
Not enough new players staking a claim
Too many new players staking a claim
Bad gameplan
No gameplan
What's a gameplan?
New management
Old management
Lack of management

There must be loads more.

MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

Quote from: muppet on February 01, 2015, 09:32:32 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 01, 2015, 09:22:59 PM

Such as?

Try a few of these:

No marquee forwards
No marquee backs
No marquee
Choke in September - which of course is ALWAYS the first thing you like to see fixed in February
Bad gameplan
No gameplan
What's a gameplan?
New management
Old management
Lack of management

Fans losing the run of themselves!
Players losing the run of themselves!
Managers wearing Togs.
Not enough senior club players in the team.
Not enough big forwards.
No side line tactics.
Best player in the county not on the panel.
Best player in the county always an unused sub.
Best player in the County getting to come on in injury time.
Wrong Colour Jerseys.
Not enough scores from play.
Not enough scores from frees.
Fights on the Bus on the way to AI Finals.
The Curse!

Just read an archive of Eugene McGee writings, they'll contain them all!

mayoman dan

Try a few of these:

No marquee forwards
No marquee backs
No marquee
Bad gameplan
No gameplan
What's a gameplan?
New management
Old management
Lack of management

[/quote]

There not ruthless enough
There mentally weak
They dont have any leaders
They dont play well in Croke Park

From the Bunker

Quote from: mayoman dan on February 01, 2015, 09:52:59 PM

Try a few of these:

No marquee forwards
No marquee backs
No marquee
Bad gameplan
No gameplan
What's a gameplan?
New management
Old management
Lack of management

There not ruthless enough
There mentally weak
They dont have any leaders
They dont play well in Croke Park
[/quote]

That's my favourite one! The Croke Park Hoodoo!

moysider

There was some worrying aspects to our display in fairness.

How Robbie Hennelly continued to bomb kick-outs down on top of Moran and Walsh at begining of second half was crazy. They had huge height advantage and there would be something wrong with them if they couldn t win that type of ball.

Still not enough care with possession. Still it was good to see kick passing attempted today. It looked a different sport than last night's hand passing sport, although in fairness the conditions today were much better than last night. Likes of Seamie O Sé kicks too much away. Freeman never gets consistently decent ball. He d do damage if he did.

A lot of good stuff. Nice to see Keane play well again. Nice to see Keegan content to play a more conservative defensive game. we know he ll be bombing on again later.  Barrett looked very assured and is a leader. Keith was excellent and Durcan looked at home at this level. Very impressed with Doc again ( I d have given mom to him or Keith) and Vaughan grafted hard. Ronaldson was good and Conroy is looking like he could have an Indian summer to his career. Aidan settled the match when he came on.
McLoughlin's goal was sheer class and should plenty of quality besides. Gallagher was extraordinary quiet for some reason?

Captain Obvious

What pre season preparation did Kerry do? They looked well off the pace. Two points gained for Mayo however should be deducted two points for wearing that eyesore of a jersey.

moysider

What pre season did anybody do? Kerry started much better and were much sharper for 15mins.

Kerry radio was great craic. Never wanting to give an opposition much credit Weeshie yearrahed Kerry's performance down to wintering to well.

Ambrose was having none of it and was tearing it up after. You d swear they had never won anything. Billy O Shea was playing good cop.
6 points down at half time Ambrose was bullish about Kerry's chances. ' this is the same old Mayo'. Put a few points on the board early and Mayo will lie down, seemed to be his message.
They got those early points but we showed some resolve on this occasion.

Yeah, that jersey should only be worn with jeans in a pub.

macdanger2

Good to get the 2 pts, with 4 home games to play, we should stay up anyway. If we had lost by 7 today, Holmes & connelly would have been under slight pressure so it's good that they should have an opportunity to try a few things later in the league. I was impressed with the relatively quick reaction to Walsh's dominance i.e. bringing on AOS; not rocket science but nonetheless good to see

Awful disappointing for Regan after starting well, hope he recovers ok - what kind of time would you be looking at for that injury?

moysider

It varies. About 6 weeks to heal and double that to get full strength back in shoulder and be able to take contact again. Then there is match fitness as well. It was also a horrible sloppy challenge by Johnny Buckley. Turned his back and took the man out in the air.  No eyes for the ball - nothing. Clumsy isn t good enough. If it was rugby it would be at least yellow.

Sickening that people were questioning his attitude and commitment.

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 01, 2015, 11:25:20 PM
Good to get the 2 pts, with 4 home games to play, we should stay up anyway. If we had lost by 7 today, Holmes & connelly would have been under slight pressure so it's good that they should have an opportunity to try a few things later in the league. I was impressed with the relatively quick reaction to Walsh's dominance i.e. bringing on AOS; not rocket science but nonetheless good to see

Awful disappointing for Regan after starting well, hope he recovers ok - what kind of time would you be looking at for that injury?

6-10 weeks: Scapula (shoulder blade) fractures generally heal in the 6-10 week time frame. Fortunately, most scapula fractures do not require surgery, and the function of your shoulder should be excellent once it heals.

https://www.healthtap.com/topics/how-long-will-it-take-to-heal-a-broken-shoulder-blade

10 weeks gets him to the 12th of April!

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 01, 2015, 11:57:35 PM

6-10 weeks: Scapula (shoulder blade) fractures generally heal in the 6-10 week time frame. Fortunately, most scapula fractures do not require surgery, and the function of your shoulder should be excellent once it heals.

https://www.healthtap.com/topics/how-long-will-it-take-to-heal-a-broken-shoulder-blade

10 weeks gets him to the 12th of April!

I dunno where the scapula thing is coming from??
I believe its the clavicle/collar bone. This may well need surgery and it ties sternum, ribs and shoulder together. Not an easy rehab. I ve never heard of a scapula injury outside of a car crash but might be less serious.

moysider

It was way too slow! And not just management to blame. At this stage an experienced keeper and the likes of Keith, Keegan and other should be able to manage the game better on the field as well. We completely handed momentum back to Kerry by kicking long to their giants. The most worrying aspect of the game for us. That is a most basic aspect of housekeeping at any level. It s not even tactical as such. It s Mickey Mouse stuff. But us being us we could easily do the same shit again in a championship match. I suspect this is one of the issues twohands was on about earlier? If he has many more issues were fucked altogether  :'(

macdanger2

Agreed that Hennelly should have varied his kickouts away from Walsh but I don't think H&C could have moved any sooner - Walsh caught two, maybe three balls before AOS was on