They'll soon do away with Goalkeepers completely!

Started by delgany, July 03, 2019, 05:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

El President  thinks it would be an idea to scrap back passes to the goalkeeper !  If you are a goalkeeper, they dont want you anymore ....not part of the team.... when is this all going to stop!

thewobbler

Not quite sure how this might even slightly solve the problem of a team playing the ball monotonously around their half back line.

APM

Last year in the McKenna Cup, because of the handpass rule, the ball was constantly being kicked back to the keeper.  The Armagh Monaghan match was nuts, with one ball after another kicked back to Beggan. 

I don't see that the ball going back to the keeper has been a major issue since then.  In fact, some of the crazy play of goalies can be very entertaining, particularly when they decide that their best role is to be a ball-playing CHB and end up losing the ball in possession. 

priceyreilly

This president is right up there with the worst presidents we've ever had. We need to get through his tenure with the least damage possible done to our games. Then we must aim to recover from it.

imtommygunn

Trying to solve a problem which does not even exist.

Tubberman

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 03, 2019, 08:15:43 PM

Exactly! That's such a minor issue if it's an issue at all.
John Horan is coming out with an initiative a week and hoping some of them will find favour with the public and deflect from the big issue.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Esmarelda

I'm surprised by the replies. When a team tries to play keep-ball near the end of a game then they have their keeper as an extra man (unless the other team moves theirs out to mark someone). This would aim to remove that option.

Compared to the forward only sideline ball I think it's ingenious.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: priceyreilly on July 03, 2019, 06:11:10 PM
This president is right up there with the worst presidents we've ever had. We need to get through his tenure with the least damage possible done to our games. Then we must aim to recover from it.

100%. As Tubberman says it's deflecting from the real issue at hand. Is John Horan the GAA president or a mouthpiece for Dublin?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Main Street

Quote from: delgany on July 03, 2019, 05:37:12 PM
El President  thinks it would be an idea to scrap back passes to the goalkeeper !  If you are a goalkeeper, they dont want you anymore ....not part of the team.... when is this all going to stop!
Is it okay if the goalie runs out a bit and receives a forward pass?   

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: APM on July 03, 2019, 05:49:24 PM
Last year in the McKenna Cup, because of the handpass rule, the ball was constantly being kicked back to the keeper.  The Armagh Monaghan match was nuts, with one ball after another kicked back to Beggan. 

I don't see that the ball going back to the keeper has been a major issue since then.  In fact, some of the crazy play of goalies can be very entertaining, particularly when they decide that their best role is to be a ball-playing CHB and end up losing the ball in possession.

Monaghan are (or were with Malachy) good at exploiting the rules to the fullest. They beat Dublin in the league because they turned the whole game into an aussie rules match.

theticklemister

What the f**k is Donal Og Cusack doing comparing not passing to goalkeepers to British colonial rule??

Itchy

I think it's worth a go, will incentivise teams to push up man for man on kick outs.

BennyCake

Will keeper be able to use his feet though? Just not handle it?

thewobbler

It's an absolute bullshit concept that won't last a month.

I'd expect they will also have to rewrite the rule book to clearly define the role of the goalkeeper and demand that every team must have one in place at all times. As far as I can see it as currently an assumption rather than a rule that you must have one.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Tubberman on July 03, 2019, 08:21:28 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 03, 2019, 08:15:43 PM

Exactly! That's such a minor issue if it's an issue at all.
John Horan is coming out with an initiative a week and hoping some of them will find favour with the public and deflect from the big issue.

It is becoming a issue, hence why it should be looked at before it becomes like soccer.  I've seen teams kick sideline balls back to the keeper about 30 yards back.. Safety first approach is boring.. Not many want to see that