Gender inequality... is there?

Started by longballin, July 22, 2015, 04:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Interesting article about Poc Fada and different prizes for men and women. Thoughts? Are women second class in GAA?... footballers certainly are.  http://gaeliclife.com/2015/07/fionnuala-carr-equality-must-be-more-than-lip-service/

Syferus

Of course they are. Even a lot of die-hard GAA supporters don't give the women's' game any respect and it regularly devolves into sexist comments about looks or laughing at the game in general.

Ladies' football is not of a great quality and will never be anything close to as popular as the mens' game but if someone loves football they shouldn't be made feel bad for wanting to play it because they happened to be born female.

Aristo 60

And to add insult to injury the competition was on hen mountain rather than the neighbouring c**k mountain. True story folks. You couldn't make it up.

Aristo 60

Quote from: Aristo 60 on July 22, 2015, 05:20:42 PM
And to add insult to injury the competition was on hen mountain rather than the neighbouring c**k mountain. True story folks. You couldn't make it up.

That's the first I've come across the automatic censorship function. f**k it's brilliant!

Aristo 60

thewobbler

Of course there is inequality.

When it comes to raw athleticism and strength, men have a distinct natural advantage. This this doesn't mean that all men are stronger and quicker than all women, but when the strongest and quickest men are put up against their female counterparts, it's never a contest.

So we are actually starting off on an unequal footing when it comes to sport.

Ironically the only way to redress this imbalance is actually by forced inequality i.e. by creating competitions that men cannot enter.

The bit that always gets me though is why people believe these competitions should be given equal footing in terms of exposure, prizes, and public stature, when one of the competitions has been formed to preclude an entire gender from winning.

Believe me I'm not trying to be sexist with these comments. It's one of the oddities of equal rights that you will get lambasted for pointing out that equality is about equal opportunities, not egalitarian outcomes.

rrhf

Whats a woman gonna do on a skiing holiday anyway but make trouble...

Santino

Quote from: rrhf on July 22, 2015, 07:30:25 PM

LOL Winner! Close the thread

Orior

Quote from: Santino on July 22, 2015, 07:33:01 PM
Quote from: rrhf on July 22, 2015, 07:30:25 PM

LOL Winner! Close the thread

I don't get it  :(
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Never beat the deeler

So what if the competition was set up like this - various sections, with the prize being a medal. Could be U-18 male, U-18 female, Adult male, Adult female etc

Then the overall winner, regardless of what section he(or she) competes in, receives a
Quotelarge shiny trophy, and the small matter of a voucher for a ski holiday

The higher prize may still go to the winner of the men's title, but there could surely be no claims of bias here?
Hasta la victoria siempre

longballin

I see Gaelic Life has stepped in to give female Poc Fada winner Catherine McGourty the holiday that the men's winner got. The organisers should also get a similar cup for the female champion.   

deiseach

I can understand the irritation. I'd have more time for the argument though if she didn't throw in the "This isn't about a ski holiday" line. It's ALL about the ski holiday.

longballin

yeah there is no complaint about the different trophies they receive... seems to be all about the holiday.   

deiseach

If Waterford win the All-Ireland, I'm going to object that the footballers get a bigger, prettier pot.

longballin

Can't see you having that problem somehow...  :P