Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

JPGJOHNNYG

What was with all those red white and blue flags. Were they all celebrating qualifying for France 16 or way they being a bunch of bigoted pigs lol.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 10, 2015, 05:02:24 PM
Quote from: Minder on October 10, 2015, 04:55:10 PM
It's a pub on the Shankill, what are people expecting

And a whole terrace at the game itself singing the 'bouncy song' (celebrating the murder of Robert Hamill in Portadown) - is that to be expected too?

I was talking about the "bouncy" comment you made. I do not believe the vast majority of those supporters were singing that for any of the sectarian reasons you mention above.

Plenty of football teams out there sing the song. Was there anyone there singing it for that reason? Maybe there was but i don't know that and neither do you.

The billy boy thing is entirely different. Was it in the ground? I'm not sure it was.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 10, 2015, 08:13:19 PM

And a whole terrace at the game itself singing the 'bouncy song' (celebrating the murder of Robert Hamill in Portadown) - is that to be expected too?

I was talking about the "bouncy" comment you made. I do not believe the vast majority of those supporters were singing that for any of the sectarian reasons you mention above.

Plenty of football teams out there sing the song. Was there anyone there singing it for that reason? Maybe there was but i don't know that and neither do you.

The billy boy thing is entirely different. Was it in the ground? I'm not sure it was.

That's your opinion, re the bouncy song, and remember this is not like soccer teams in Britain.

Regarding the Billy Boys in the ground itself, I don't know, but that a very sizeable cohort of the Shankill support very evidently revel in it, so it would be hardly unexpected that those of a similar mindset in the ground itself would be inclined similarly. Not necessarily from the Shankill, but you get the drift.

imtommygunn

It's also your opinion. I know a good few who go to windsor and they wouldn't sing that bouncy song with that intention - not in a million years. If you think thousands sing it for that reason then you have clearly your mind made up but i have no doubt you are wrong :)

Are there people there who would? Probably yes.

I go to a lot of ireland games where the fields of athenry is sung. I have heard, outside a ground granted, where there have been chants of ira. It can happen with any football crowd.

I don't disagree with some of what you said but you're doing a lot of grouping together of people that you haven't much need to be doing. Bigots still exist but quite a few are doing good work to keep them in the minority.

Fear ón Srath Bán

OK, 'whole terrace' withdrawn, though 'vacuous morons' still stands ;)

Bazil Douglas

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 10, 2015, 05:06:42 PM
Does everyone singing that song associate it with that? I wouldn't have thought so?

Food for thought. My sister who works with disadvantaged and troublesome youth from east Belfast once asked a group of lads what was the significance of this song being sung on the terraces, they explained it was a reference to dancing on Roberts Hamills head, when she questioned her husband (who is from Rathcoole) he explained that the song was about for years, but when sung at Ibrox or Windsor terraces it was a reference to R Hamill, and most protestants who attend these matches were aware of its relevance but sang along for the atmosphere ,just as most catholics were aware of the signicance of singing the roll of honor.

imtommygunn

Fair enough but i stand by my point. I genuinely do not believe thousands of people sing that in reference to robert hamill. I also believe that football for all campaign would have tried to nip it in the bud too if that were the case.

MW

Hello all. I hope you're well.

I used to post on here a few years ago, thought I'd drop by for a peek as NI have made Euro 2016 and ROI are on the verge on getting there.

As ever, interesting to read the threads.

A bit disappointing to read the same old urban myth about the bouncy I dealt with on hear years ago. Urban myths die hard it seems.

However, Tony Fearon seems to have dropped the old "Tony Fearon" persona, quite the turn up for the books!

muppet

Congrats to OWC. Now if we can only get a defence and a midfield we might join you.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

MW I'm heading to a business breakfast at which Michael O'Neill is the guest in two weeks time! Must get him to sign my NI jersey,won earlier this year of course.By the way did you see his Wedding Photo in today's Sunday Life? That took place in my home chapel in Portadown ;D

Wildweasel74

Wonder if your the only person on here with a NI jersey tuh tuh!, them jump on the bandwagon supporters lol

ziggysego

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 11, 2015, 09:30:44 PM
Wonder if your the only person on here with a NI jersey tuh tuh!, them jump on the bandwagon supporters lol

If there's a competition, Tony will enter it lol
Testing Accessibility

bennydorano

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 10, 2015, 08:27:12 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 10, 2015, 08:13:19 PM

That's your opinion, re the bouncy song, and remember this is not like soccer teams in Britain.

Regarding the Billy Boys in the ground itself, I don't know, but that a very sizeable cohort of the Shankill support very evidently revel in it, so it would be hardly unexpected that those of a similar mindset in the ground itself would be inclined similarly. Not necessarily from the Shankill, but you get the drift.
Is it Sectarianism you abhor or their brand of Sectarianism? Hard to distinguish with a lot of posters.

stew

Quote from: MW on October 11, 2015, 08:30:20 PM
Hello all. I hope you're well.

I used to post on here a few years ago, thought I'd drop by for a peek as NI have made Euro 2016 and ROI are on the verge on getting there.

As ever, interesting to read the threads.

A bit disappointing to read the same old urban myth about the bouncy I dealt with on hear years ago. Urban myths die hard it seems.

However, Tony Fearon seems to have dropped the old "Tony Fearon" persona, quite the turn up for the books!

Was it you that showed up at Tony's office and tried to get him sacked? I know one of you clampetts did.

Urban myth? Explain please.

How is Peter from Castlederg doing MW?   ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.