FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MayoBuck

The Stephen Kenny interview yesterday was interesting when he talked about the lack of young players who came through the last few years. Shane Duffy, John Egan, Matt Doherty, Robbie Brady and Jeff Hendrick were all born in 1992 so 28 this year. The next player younger than them who has broken through, played some competitive games and definitely part of the squad is Aaron Connolly, born in 2000. Maybe Alan Browne who is 25?

That's a serious gap with nobody breaking through.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: MayoBuck on July 09, 2020, 05:05:14 PM
The Stephen Kenny interview yesterday was interesting when he talked about the lack of young players who came through the last few years. Shane Duffy, John Egan, Matt Doherty, Robbie Brady and Jeff Hendrick were all born in 1992 so 28 this year. The next player younger than them who has broken through, played some competitive games and definitely part of the squad is Aaron Connolly, born in 2000. Maybe Alan Browne who is 25?

That's a serious gap with nobody breaking through.

Its cyclical. The last decent underage team was the group you listed. The one before that the Kerr crop of Duff, Keane etc. Its interesting without saying anything.

marty34

Great statement today by James McClean - and how true it is?

No support from the team mates in the team - disappointing but very true in terms of the current BLM campaign etc.  James has been left isolated in his campaign.

Pity the FAI wouldn't release a statement offering him full support and single out the hate campaign against him because of who he is and where he's from.

No chance of Fianna Gael or the free staters doing anything either I suppose - they wouldn't want to annoy their comrades in London.

McClean's done a few silly things but he's a determined lad and will stand above everything else and for what he believes in - top lad.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: marty34 on July 14, 2020, 01:49:13 PM

No support from the team mates in the team - disappointing but very true in terms of the current BLM campaign etc.  James has been left isolated in his campaign.

Pity the FAI wouldn't release a statement offering him full support and single out the hate campaign against him because of who he is and where he's from.

No chance of Fianna Gael or the free staters doing anything either I suppose - they wouldn't want to annoy their comrades in London.

McClean's done a few silly things but he's a determined lad and will stand above everything else and for what he believes in - top lad.

While I agree with his broad point, had he asked the FAI? Is one association criticising another done?

marty34

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 14, 2020, 04:46:05 PM

While I agree with his broad point, had he asked the FAI? Is one association criticising another done?

No, just putting out a statement stating the abuse he gets and that he has the FAI's full support.

FA in England have no problem supporting the BLM campaign.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: marty34 on July 14, 2020, 07:17:14 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 14, 2020, 04:46:05 PM

No, just putting out a statement stating the abuse he gets and that he has the FAI's full support.

FA in England have no problem supporting the BLM campaign.

BLM isn't one association criticising another.

I completely agree with his core point, the silence on anti Irish racism is bizarre. But I'm not sure what the FAI can do.

An Watcher

Bit of controversy with sykes this week but hopefully he can improve and make the full squad. If your hearts not in it your hearts not in it.
Surprised Obafemi isn't included in the first squad as well

rodney trotter

Kenny approached Sykes to declare. That might have given him hope, he's paying League 1 so will have a bit to do.
There has been other Northern players in the past who switched, and were never capped by the Republicx like Daniel Kearns

macdanger2

Surprising not to see Obafemi involved. Callum O'Dowda has to be lucky to still get the call, he doesn't seem to have progressed hugely

Billys Boots

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 24, 2020, 06:55:42 PM
Surprising not to see Obafemi involved. Callum O'Dowda has to be lucky to still get the call, he doesn't seem to have progressed hugely

He has had a long-running injury problem and didn't play enough last season.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hound

Obafemi's never particularly impressed me when I've seen him (Idah looks better to me), but he has got game time in a decent team with a good manager, so there's clearly potential there. No sense to me in not including him.

I wouldn't write off O'Dowda yet. I think he has bags of ability, so interested to see whether Kenny can help him deliver.

Arter and McCarthy are two I'd be quicker to shelve. Both looked great prospects but neither got to the heights I hoped and both very inconsistent. Maybe Molumby can be the answer in midfield.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Hound on August 25, 2020, 09:20:36 AM
Obafemi's never particularly impressed me when I've seen him (Idah looks better to me), but he has got game time in a decent team with a good manager, so there's clearly potential there. No sense to me in not including him.

I wouldn't write off O'Dowda yet. I think he has bags of ability, so interested to see whether Kenny can help him deliver.

Arter and McCarthy are two I'd be quicker to shelve. Both looked great prospects but neither got to the heights I hoped and both very inconsistent. Maybe Molumby can be the answer in midfield.

James McCarthy was a better player when he was 17. He was looking to be an amazing prospect but after a couple of good seasons at Wigan back in the day has gone way backwards. Arter again looked great for a while bags of energy but he just seems to get booked all the time now.
O Dowda likewise after a bright start to his career seems to be stalling. Lets hope the current young players coming though kick on but we shall see.

imtommygunn

Arter is awful. McCarthy could work in the right position. I've never seen him be great for us bar the Germany game where he was forced to play more defensively because Whelan had to go off injured and to be honest I think that's one of the main reasons we won that game. Interestingly he had to play more defensively there so maybe that is the answer.

general

James McCarthy did very well at Crystal Palace last season - continuing on with this would be excellent, whether it be at everton or palace. Hes someone who could do a very good holding job for us if used in the correct position,

Same with harry arter - he was brilliant when played in the advanced position for bournemouth, however that is 3, 4 maybe 5 seasons ago? with fulham last year he wasnt as advanced.

No reason why we couldnt play decent football via a 4-3-3 formation (2 wing players and 1 CF)

michaelg

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 24, 2020, 06:40:21 PM
Kenny approached Sykes to declare. That might have given him hope, he's paying League 1 so will have a bit to do.
There has been other Northern players in the past who switched, and were never capped by the Republicx like Daniel Kearns
He's no chance of a call-up for forseeable.  From a caeer / money point of view, seems a bad move as he's unlikely to follow same trajectory of Gavin Whyte without having international football to help boost his profile.  As another poster said though, I guess his heart wasn't in it.  Fair enough, but as with Grealish and Rice, just a shame it took him 7 years to work that out and at same time took away potential opportunity for development from someone else.