China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

Ah that moment when the wife comes at ye smilin wavin somethin shes just peed on - miss those times

😃😃

J70

Quote from: Taylor on May 21, 2020, 11:34:11 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 21, 2020, 11:16:02 AM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 21, 2020, 09:39:04 AM
The South of Ireland has the lowest R rate in Europe at 0.25 approx.
Great news

Who says this? It seems improbable. Link please.

In the UK I read the R rate is not a here and now figure but a week or two behind what is happening today - is this the case in the South as well?

If the .25 figure is accurate and a couple of weeks behind that would change the picture considerably............

The r-rate is going to be "old" everywhere.

You have to collect the data to generate it. And the data represents how many other people an infectious person will effect. Which can obviously change over time, including increasing again if people start throwing caution to the wind too soon.

imtommygunn

Yeah it has to be old everywhere does it not due to the nature of it?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 21, 2020, 12:28:24 PM
Ah that moment when the wife comes at ye smilin wavin somethin shes just peed on - miss those times

😃😃

Look, I near had a heart attack when my wife did one about 3 years ago, put me of sex with my wife for life, thankfully it was negative :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 21, 2020, 12:16:11 PM
There looks like there's a possibility of a pregnancy style test on the mass market by July and could cost about £25, would take 30 minutes to get a result too.

Perhaps there is hope for a championship this year.

That'd be massive. It'd be essentially killed off in 4 weeks. [£25 is a pittance if everyone was tested compared to the cost of continued lockdown - it'd be ~£1.75B for everyone in the UK - a bargain at twice the price]

Even better, anyone trying to get international flights has to get a test at both departing (no embarking prior to result) and arriving airports (no leaving airport prior to result).

i usse an speelchekor

Itchy

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 21, 2020, 01:06:49 PM
There looks like there's a possibility of a pregnancy style test on the mass market by July and could cost about £25, would take 30 minutes to get a result too.

That'd be massive. It'd be essentially killed off in 4 weeks. [£25 is a pittance if everyone was tested compared to the cost of continued lockdown - it'd be ~£1.75B for everyone in the UK - a bargain at twice the price]

Even better, anyone trying to get international flights has to get a test at both departing (no embarking prior to result) and arriving airports (no leaving airport prior to result).

Assuming they can get billions on the market to support such an approach.

GetOverTheBar

Legal minefield though wouldn't you say? Your infringing on various freedoms and privacy, albeit for the greater good.

I like the idea, but realistically, could we implement this at airports? Maybe the actual carrier will have to provide this as part of the overall fare agreement?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Itchy on May 21, 2020, 01:24:27 PM

Assuming they can get billions on the market to support such an approach.

If its like a pregnancy test, i.e. essentially litmus paper suitably coated - then they should be able to scale that up to numbers unseen.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 21, 2020, 01:35:16 PM
Legal minefield though wouldn't you say? Your infringing on various freedoms and privacy, albeit for the greater good.

I like the idea, but realistically, could we implement this at airports? Maybe the actual carrier will have to provide this as part of the overall fare agreement?

Is it any more of a minefield than searching your bags and frisking [or the full body scanners]?

Yeah, it'd no doubt add significant complication to security - and the obvious question - what happens if someone turns up a positive result? How do you begin to trace down anyone at risk in the airport?

Maybe there would be a way of time-stamping a test when it occurred - which would mean folks could do it at home the day of travel and present their clean status at entry to the airport. More feasible at the airport side, but dunno if there is a way of marking it timewise - and then your also trusting that its that person that pee'ed on it.
i usse an speelchekor

five points

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 21, 2020, 01:45:11 PM
Maybe there would be a way of time-stamping a test when it occurred - which would mean folks could do it at home the day of travel and present their clean status at entry to the airport. More feasible at the airport side, but dunno if there is a way of marking it timewise - and then your also trusting that its that person that pee'ed on it.

Maybe require passengers to either turn up with, or have uploaded to a website in the meantime, a GP certificate confirming a negative test taken in the previous 24/48 hours? Wouldn't be fully foolproof but would eliminate a lot of the risk.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: five points on May 21, 2020, 01:50:34 PM

Maybe require passengers to either turn up with, or have uploaded to a website in the meantime, a GP certificate confirming a negative test taken in the previous 24/48 hours? Wouldn't be fully foolproof but would eliminate a lot of the risk.

We are talking full on pre arrival clearance to the States from Shannon now. It's not a bad idea, but I think it's maybe one for down the path....I suspect the world will try and drive on as normal through this, especially with the news turning from just last month disaster to now....seemingly more positive by the day (or maybe just less depressing).

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 21, 2020, 02:12:11 PM

We are talking full on pre arrival clearance to the States from Shannon now. It's not a bad idea, but I think it's maybe one for down the path....I suspect the world will try and drive on as normal through this, especially with the news turning from just last month disaster to now....seemingly more positive by the day (or maybe just less depressing).

Portugal's tourism Secretary of State was saying they are opening beaches and are prepared to let in holiday makers mid June, should airlines and outside governments allow this, puts me then in a dilemma as I've booked paid for a villa in Portugal at end of July!

If we don't go because we feel this isn't safe can we get our money back?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

TabClear

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 21, 2020, 03:17:36 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 21, 2020, 02:12:11 PM

Portugal's tourism Secretary of State was saying they are opening beaches and are prepared to let in holiday makers mid June, should airlines and outside governments allow this, puts me then in a dilemma as I've booked paid for a villa in Portugal at end of July!

If we don't go because we feel this isn't safe can we get our money back?

I think this is the worst case scenario (financially) for people with holidays booked. Official guidance is that the holiday can go ahead (assuming FCO do not advise against) so your insurance will not pay out and the holiday provider has not cancelled so no refund available from them. So effectively they deem it that you have changed your mind and the financial loss sits with you. Apart from the safety issue and the potential for quarantine etc, the reality is that you will not be getting the same holiday you were anticipating when you arrive because of social distancing, amenities closed etc etc.

imtommygunn

Just get a hazmat suit for the plane and lock yourself in the villa when you get there  ;D

Rois

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 21, 2020, 12:21:29 PM
Can anyone find that link to the 0.25 R rate??
Simon Harris said in the Dail that it had stabilised at 0.5