China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Is Angela Merkel the only politician to come out of the Coronavirus with an even greater respect (internationally) than before?

TabClear

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 20, 2020, 02:07:19 PM
Is Angela Merkel the only politician to come out of the Coronavirus with an even greater respect (internationally) than before?

New Zealand and Portugal seem to have  had decent leadership as well. Decisive action early seems to have been key. Obviously NZ has the advantages of being a relatively small island but Portugal I would have viewed as similar to Spain and the response and management seems to have been very different.

Jeepers Creepers

Now a link to Air pollution?

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 20, 2020, 04:05:38 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on April 20, 2020, 03:28:24 PM

in a good way i'd imagine

High levels of air pollution may be "one of the most important contributors" to deaths from Covid-19, according to research.
The analysis shows that of the coronavirus deaths across 66 administrative regions in Italy, Spain, France and Germany, 78% of them occurred in just five regions, and these were the most polluted

nrico2006

Quote from: TabClear on April 20, 2020, 02:21:49 PM

New Zealand and Portugal seem to have  had decent leadership as well. Decisive action early seems to have been key. Obviously NZ has the advantages of being a relatively small island but Portugal I would have viewed as similar to Spain and the response and management seems to have been very different.

New Zealand has the advantage of being surrounded by water, but so too does Ireland.  Yet, Ireland has far more deaths than New Zealand.  New Zealand is a lot bigger than Ireland too, as well as a lot bigger than Portugal.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 20, 2020, 04:15:49 PM

New Zealand has the advantage of being surrounded by water, but so too does Ireland.  Yet, Ireland has far more deaths than New Zealand.  New Zealand is a lot bigger than Ireland too, as well as a lot bigger than Portugal.

Large part of that can be explained by the Kiwis literally pulling the plug on the border. Whereas, about 20k odd Irish went to Cheltenham where it's been proven the virus was transmitted. One mistake, I think in years to come might well see someone being badly hung out to dry over it when the dust settles.

Milltown Row2

So with the likes of bars and cafes and such like places being told they may be out of bounds till xmas, a good lot of those places will shut completely.

What is the exit plan for this from the Irish government?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on April 20, 2020, 04:13:59 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 20, 2020, 04:05:38 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on April 20, 2020, 03:28:24 PM

in a good way i'd imagine

High levels of air pollution may be "one of the most important contributors" to deaths from Covid-19, according to research.
The analysis shows that of the coronavirus deaths across 66 administrative regions in Italy, Spain, France and Germany, 78% of them occurred in just five regions, and these were the most polluted

More population usually correlates with pollution, so you're going to see more cases in more populated and hence more polluted areas. Pollution may be a factor but it's tricky to attribute cause to effect for that sort of thing.

bennydorano

GalwayBayBoy

New Zealand's main advantage is they are in the middle of nowhere in the south pacific. They acted early in fairness but I'm not sure they are comparable to somewhere that gets a lot of European traffic through it daily.

Ireland acted quicker than the UK did but it's becoming apparent that they should have shut things down even sooner than they did.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on April 20, 2020, 05:14:49 PM
Sweden's stats looking pretty decent on Sky News there for a Herd Immunity type approach?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-19/sweden-says-controversial-covid-19-strategy-is-proving-effective

Some country was going to try it, though they would have less populated areas than UK and France

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

armaghniac

Quote from: laoislad on April 20, 2020, 06:05:36 PM
77 deaths today.

That's a bad toll.
Also, 401 cases. Now that testing has largely caught up these are presumably people that got it in the last 10 days or so and that seems a lot also.
By way of comparison Spain only reported 399.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

nrico2006

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 20, 2020, 05:15:42 PM

New Zealand's main advantage is they are in the middle of nowhere in the south pacific. They acted early in fairness but I'm not sure they are comparable to somewhere that gets a lot of European traffic through it daily.

Ireland acted quicker than the UK did but it's becoming apparent that they should have shut things down even sooner than they did.

Ireland was a shambles too, the whole Cheltenham fiasco as well as letting flights in from Italy on the scheduled 6 nations weekend when northern Italy was in turmoil.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'