Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzroyalty

Quote from: ziggysego on January 04, 2013, 05:12:49 PM
Quote from: trileacman on January 04, 2013, 04:48:50 PM
Is the school of thought that says McIlroy has to play for "our Ireland" not the same school of thought that says James McClean should be playing for OWC?

The people who championed McClean's hard-earned right to play for the republic are the very same people who now dictate who McIlroy should play for. He has a choice that he is free to make. If I was him I'd have choose the South but f**k it, I couldn't give a shite what he chooses to do. Is criticising McIlroy for his decision to declare his nationality as "Northern Irish" not as bigoted and backward as those who would criticise McClean/Wilson/Gibson for considering themselves Irish?

Spot on. Some people need to take a look in the mirror, they might just see some OWC posters looking back at them.
A lot of people would base it on the premise that golf in Ireland is administered on an all-island & provincial basis like GAA or rugby so not exactly the same as the McClean analogy. Not that I disagree with the sentiment, if he chooses to play for GB that is his right to do so.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 04, 2013, 05:07:03 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 04, 2013, 04:46:45 PM
Quote from: laoislad on January 03, 2013, 08:42:39 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 03, 2013, 08:16:01 PM
Quote from: hardstation on January 03, 2013, 07:40:35 PM
I'd be pretty annoyed if he played for the Brits.

Me too

I wouldn't want him playing for Ireland if he really didn't want to.
I would rather if the spot went to someone who was proud to represent the country,flag and anthem should they win.
I agree, he is being forced to back track here, quite happy to wrap himself in the Loyalist Ulster Flag with no concern over the meaning for his nationalist co religionists of this rag. Let the Brits have him they are welcome.

So did you also have the same attitude for Barry McGuigan when he choose to fight for the British title and had death threats because of it?
Different situation, McGuigan chose to leave flags out of it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 04, 2013, 07:17:44 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 04, 2013, 05:07:03 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 04, 2013, 04:46:45 PM
Quote from: laoislad on January 03, 2013, 08:42:39 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 03, 2013, 08:16:01 PM
Quote from: hardstation on January 03, 2013, 07:40:35 PM
I'd be pretty annoyed if he played for the Brits.

Me too

I wouldn't want him playing for Ireland if he really didn't want to.
I would rather if the spot went to someone who was proud to represent the country,flag and anthem should they win.
I agree, he is being forced to back track here, quite happy to wrap himself in the Loyalist Ulster Flag with no concern over the meaning for his nationalist co religionists of this rag. Let the Brits have him they are welcome.

So did you also have the same attitude for Barry McGuigan when he choose to fight for the British title and had death threats because of it?
Different situation, McGuigan chose to leave flags out of it.

Just the same, he left the south and to fight for a British title had to have a British passport. But don't let that get in the way of acting like a bigot
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

So a person is a 'bigot' if they expect a person to represent their own country?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

heganboy

no a bigot is someone who doesn't respect someone's right to choose their nationality
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

trileacman

Quote from: armaghniac on January 04, 2013, 08:50:37 PM
So a person is a 'bigot' if they expect a person to represent their own country?

McIllroy was born in the North, a particularly murky area in terms of national identity, who are you to dictate who Mc Ilroy's "own country" is? Do you think of McGuigan is a turncoat as well, given that he was born and bred in an Irish state by Irish parents but fought as a "British" boxer?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

armaghniac

Not all choices are morally equal. I have the 'right' to run off with my neighbours wife. That doesn't mean that I cannot be validly criticised for doing so.

heganboy

validly?

why validly?

who gives one person the right to criticize the morals of someone else's choice?

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Puckoon

Quote from: armaghniac on January 04, 2013, 08:50:37 PM

They could rightfully be accused of having an inflated sense of self importance, at best.

armaghniac

Anyone can say they don't agree with something. This forum has multiple threads where people criticise Sean Quinn or Kilcoo players. What gives anyone  the right to right to criticise racists?

trileacman

Quote from: armaghniac on January 04, 2013, 09:03:54 PM
Not all choices are morally equal. I have the 'right' to run off with my neighbours wife. That doesn't mean that I cannot be validly criticised for doing so.

You are just dodging the questions with bullshit and whataboutery. This debate is going nowhere.

armaghniac

Look, I do not agree with Thatcher. I think there is such a thing as society, that society has obligations to people and that people have to return something to society. Many of you think people should be allowed do what they like and screw everyone else. We can agree to disagree, but you have no basis for characterizing me as a bigot of limited intelligence.

trileacman

Just to clear things up I didn't call you a bigot, I just think your criticism of McIlroy is unfounded.

ONeill

Can he declare for Gibraltar?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

trileacman

Quote from: ONeill on January 04, 2013, 10:24:27 PM
Can he declare for Gibraltar?

With an income like his it's a surprise he hasn't.