Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on October 03, 2012, 04:57:56 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 03, 2012, 04:38:00 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 03, 2012, 01:51:19 PM
McIlroy can't fail to know and understand what the "Ulster Flag" means and signifys to nationalists. it is the flag of choice of loyalist death gangs, one of which killed his uncle. So when he wraps himself in it he would also understand that many nationalists and republicans see it as him firmly nailing his colours to the mast. McGuigan wisely avoided flags.

So by your logic he is endorsing those murdering scumbags? And if he draped himself in a tri-colour............

Remember the Flags and Emblems act? Remember the controversy when Shorts and H&W etc were forced to take down the NI flag from the workplace? What was that all about? Why didnt the cathloics just turn a blind eye?

The couldnt-care-less attitude is admirable. But this is the North of Ireland. I would still support Snory Rory if he wore a pair of Union Flag trousers, but hey, shouldnt I be allowed (on an Internet forum) to register my lack of comfort with his accessories? It doesnt mean I admire him any less.

I remember it more than most on here, having worked in a (H&W) workplace were it was decked out in union jacks, loyalist flags of UFF, UDA all over the place. We keep harping on about flegs, give it a rest, as people have said if you dislike him cause he's a knob then fine, if you dislike him over flegs then you need to wise up (Not you Orior) just my opinion of course.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

This thread is 12 pages and is about the worlds best golfer yet actual talk about golf - at a guess 1 page. Actual talk about his "side", what flag he is photographed with and if he a decent skin or a gobshite - at a guess 11 pages.

No wonder he moved to america.

theskull1

Loyalty to a petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul. Mark Twain

To more we dont give a fcuk about these things the better. I dont think he's trying to offend (faux offence imo) anyone, but theres every chance he's trying to please everyone.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Bingo

Quote from: theskull1 on October 04, 2012, 11:46:04 AM
Loyalty to a petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul. Mark Twain

To more we dont give a fcuk about these things the better. I dont think he's trying to offend (faux offence imo) anyone, but theres every chance he's trying to please everyone.

I think that says more about the people than it does about him.

gallsman

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 03, 2012, 07:12:11 PM
Quote from: gallsman on October 03, 2012, 06:11:48 PM
Coming from same fella who was disgusted to hear Marty Clarke wrote "NI" on his arm during his first spell in Oz.

He puts no value on the backing the "Irish Golfing Union" gave him? How do you know that? Did you overhear him laughing about it with his mates in the pub or something? When he had to rely on mammy and daddy? You mean when he was a child? Heaven forbid.

What are his "true colours"? McIlroy can identify himself whatever hell the way he likes. It's not up to the likes of you to condemn him for it.

Out of interest, as the GUI is a 32 county body, what are its sources of funding?
Not rorys pockets anyway, i can have any opinion i want, this marty clarke thing will never be forgotten, I said that about marty clarke about 3/4 yrs ago, i barely even remember saying it, i will never recognised the North as ni, so if that offends you deal with it. I am allowed to NOT like rory mcilroy. I did not like him long before his allegiances were made public.

Stew i believe the Irish soccer team should be all Ireland but if you think that relavent to me not liking rory your way off. Seriously though are people not allowed to not like rory mcilroy?

Naturally you're allowed to think whatever the hell you want. However, you appear to have a particular disdain for people who don't appear to think as you believe they should.

One of the great things that has happened in the north in the last 15 odd years is that people have learned to accept the differences between communities and respect anyone's decision. Forgive anyone from the north, from either side, for not giving a shite about disappointing the expectations of a Sligo man.

The ironic thing here is that Rory is being increasingly forced to identify himself as British or Irish. I'd suspect his natural identity is Northern Irish (whether or not anyone agreed with this is moot) - which obviously he can't represent in the Olympics.

theskull1

Quote from: Bingo on October 04, 2012, 12:02:05 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on October 04, 2012, 11:46:04 AM

The more we dont give a fcuk about these things the better. I dont think he's trying to offend (faux offence imo) anyone, but theres every chance he's trying to please everyone.

I think that says more about the people than it does about him.

I agree ... but thats not to say everyone he's pleasing have got artful intentions to score points. Some may do but we neutralise their impact by not give a flying f about it.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: gallsman on October 04, 2012, 12:11:01 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 03, 2012, 07:12:11 PM
Quote from: gallsman on October 03, 2012, 06:11:48 PM
Coming from same fella who was disgusted to hear Marty Clarke wrote "NI" on his arm during his first spell in Oz.

He puts no value on the backing the "Irish Golfing Union" gave him? How do you know that? Did you overhear him laughing about it with his mates in the pub or something? When he had to rely on mammy and daddy? You mean when he was a child? Heaven forbid.

What are his "true colours"? McIlroy can identify himself whatever hell the way he likes. It's not up to the likes of you to condemn him for it.

Out of interest, as the GUI is a 32 county body, what are its sources of funding?
Not rorys pockets anyway, i can have any opinion i want, this marty clarke thing will never be forgotten, I said that about marty clarke about 3/4 yrs ago, i barely even remember saying it, i will never recognised the North as ni, so if that offends you deal with it. I am allowed to NOT like rory mcilroy. I did not like him long before his allegiances were made public.

Stew i believe the Irish soccer team should be all Ireland but if you think that relavent to me not liking rory your way off. Seriously though are people not allowed to not like rory mcilroy?

Naturally you're allowed to think whatever the hell you want. However, you appear to have a particular disdain for people who don't appear to think as you believe they should.

One of the great things that has happened in the north in the last 15 odd years is that people have learned to accept the differences between communities and respect anyone's decision. Forgive anyone from the north, from either side, for not giving a shite about disappointing the expectations of a Sligo man.

The ironic thing here is that Rory is being increasingly forced to identify himself as British or Irish. I'd suspect his natural identity is Northern Irish (whether or not anyone agreed with this is moot) - which obviously he can't represent in the Olympics.

Can't you enter as an Independent athlete! Perhaps himself, Darren Clarke and McDowell could enter as a team of Independents with one other and be an unofficial Northern Irish team. This would mean Team Ireland and Team GB could also get more golfers to the Olympics and if the NI lads won, the Brits and Irish could do our usual claim victory by association. Everyone is happy but noone is entirely happy.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

oisinog

Quote from: AQMP on October 04, 2012, 10:22:22 AM
Quote from: oisinog on October 03, 2012, 04:48:19 PM
At the end of the day this young fella is doing something he loved he is helping to generate a lot of income into the irish economy as there is people coming from all over the word to play on the gold courses in Ireland that he did.

Some people on here need to get a life

That must be why the Lough Erne Golf Resort is in administration and is up for sale for £10mill (that's a fecking bargain by the way for anyone who has a spare £10mill).

When anyone posts on this board it is taken as read that they need to get a life!

The Hotel was loosing money the two golf course was keeping it afloat.

£240 a night in the hotel during a recession that pricing made it go into admin

armaghniac

QuoteBut if he wore a tri colour you'd be happy?

Of course we'd be happy, the tricolour has both orange and green.

McIlroy has stirred this up himself. If he had any sense he would not have pontificated on the issue. One thing most people from NI are good at doing is keep politics out of it if there is no need for it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GAA_Talk

Can't you enter as an Independent athlete! Perhaps himself, Darren Clarke and McDowell could enter as a team of Independents with one other and be an unofficial Northern Irish team. This would mean Team Ireland and Team GB could also get more golfers to the Olympics and if the NI lads won, the Brits and Irish could do our usual claim victory by association. Everyone is happy but noone is entirely happy.
[/quote]

Not a bad idea at all mayo. Couldn't have too many complaints about their flag either;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Olympic_Athletes_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on October 04, 2012, 02:27:30 PM

McIlroy has stirred this up himself. If he had any sense he would not have pontificated on the issue. One thing most people from NI are good at doing is keep politics out of it if there is no need for it.

It's a pity posters on here can't do the same
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffrongael

Quote from: oisinog on October 04, 2012, 01:55:11 PM
Quote from: AQMP on October 04, 2012, 10:22:22 AM
Quote from: oisinog on October 03, 2012, 04:48:19 PM
At the end of the day this young fella is doing something he loved he is helping to generate a lot of income into the irish economy as there is people coming from all over the word to play on the gold courses in Ireland that he did.

Some people on here need to get a life

That must be why the Lough Erne Golf Resort is in administration and is up for sale for £10mill (that's a fecking bargain by the way for anyone who has a spare £10mill).

When anyone posts on this board it is taken as read that they need to get a life!

The Hotel was loosing money the two golf course was keeping it afloat.

£240 a night in the hotel during a recession that pricing made it go into admin

How was it keeping it afloat if it went into administration ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

armaghniac

QuoteIt's a pity posters on here can't do the same

This is the fallacy that it is objectionable to object to someone being objectionable.

stew

Quote from: armaghniac on October 04, 2012, 02:27:30 PM

That is complete and utter bollocks, ever since he got famous people have been at him and talking about this, he avoided it for years and now he does not give a damn and has made his choice, fair play to him.

I dont like his choice but I respect it and do not think less of him for it.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

armaghniac

As you say he does not give a damn. But we are all entitled to our opinions, and my opinion is that someone going out of their way to use flags associated with the killers of members of his family is not a person with good values.