GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Sample schedule I've done out based on the Dublin club championships (16 teams with round robin four groups of four) plus follow on provincial club championships, two rounds of NFL fixtures then knockout format inter-county All-Ireland championships.

All knockout games bar All-Ireland finals to go to extra-time and penalties if necessary.

Sun August 2 Dublin Club Hurling Group R1
Wed August 5 Dublin Club Football Group R1
Sun August 9 Dublin Club Hurling Group R2
Wed August 12 Dublin Club Football Group R2
Sun August 16 Dublin Club Hurling Group R3
Sun August 23 Dublin Club Football Group R3
Wed August 26 Dublin Club Hurling Q/F
Sun August 30 Dublin Club Football Q/F
Wed September 2 Dublin Club Hurling S/F
Sun September 6 Dublin Club Football S/F
Sun September 13 Dublin Club Football and Hurling Finals
Sun September 20 Provincial Club Prelim Rounds
Sun September 27 Provincial Club Q/F
Sun October 4 Provincial Club S/F
Sun October 11 Provincial Club Finals
Sun October 18 All-Ireland Club Semi-Finals
Sun October 25 (Bank Holiday) All-Ireland Club Finals/NFL Round 6
Sun November 1 NFL Round 7
Sun November 8 Inter-county Provincial Prelim Rounds
Sun November 15 Provincial Quarter-Finals
Sun November 22 Provincial Quarter-Finals
Sun November 29 Provincial Semi-Finals
Sun December 6 Provincial Semi-Finals
Sun December 13 Provincial Finals
Sun December 20 Provincial Finals
Sat/Sun January 9/10 All-Ireland Hurling Semi-Finals
Sat/Sun January 16/17 All-Ireland Football Semi-Finals
Sun January 24 All-Ireland Hurling Final
Sun January 31 All-Ireland Football Final

delgany

Quote from: GlenMan on June 05, 2020, 07:29:55 PM
The GAA haven't included what will happen if Stormont don't relax their lockdown in line with the Republic.

There is a note on bottom of page 13 , that the plan is dependent on both governments following the relevant dates listed

supersub

Quote from: GlenMan on June 05, 2020, 06:23:33 PM
Great to see the roadmap published but my God there's some amount of work for volunteers to do. Asking someone to take on the Covid Supervisor role and them having to take all Players/Management temperatures before training/games is a stretch.

But that's what they do best, get things done for their club. It's a serious change, but did we really expect it to be plain sailing? Easy to say it won't work (you didn't), but where there's a will there's a way. Covid Supervisor doesn't have to take temps before teams commence sessions, the individual does it themselves before they attend and mark on their sheet. Only if this hasn't been done do the Supervisors step in.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: supersub on June 06, 2020, 01:42:39 AM
Quote from: GlenMan on June 05, 2020, 06:23:33 PM
Great to see the roadmap published but my God there's some amount of work for volunteers to do. Asking someone to take on the Covid Supervisor role and them having to take all Players/Management temperatures before training/games is a stretch.

But that's what they do best, get things done for their club. It's a serious change, but did we really expect it to be plain sailing? Easy to say it won't work (you didn't), but where there's a will there's a way. Covid Supervisor doesn't have to take temps before teams commence sessions, the individual does it themselves before they attend and mark on their sheet. Only if this hasn't been done do the Supervisors step in.
Taking someone's temperature can be done in seconds with a modren handheld scanner. It's just a case of pointing it at the subjects forehead and pressing a button.
I know because I have mine checked in this manner several times a week in Beaumont hospital.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Eire90

i think provincial clubs and all ireland clubs are scrap if that is the case i would suggest double the provincial club championships for next season for counties with different winners example if two different teams win tyrone championship then two teams from tyrone  enter ulster club championship. so in theory there could be an 18 team ulster club championship

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eire90 on June 06, 2020, 08:29:15 AM
i think provincial clubs and all ireland clubs are scrap if that is the case i would suggest double the provincial club championships for next season for counties with different winners example if two different teams win tyrone championship then two teams from tyrone  enter ulster club championship. so in theory there could be an 18 team ulster club championship

They'll still get dumped on their ass's  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

themac_23

Quote from: Eire90 on June 06, 2020, 08:29:15 AM

You could maybe see a few clubs running tournaments over the winter like St Pauls do for ulster minor and Creggan for ulster U21

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on June 06, 2020, 12:03:48 AM
Sample schedule I've done out based on the Dublin club championships (16 teams with round robin four groups of four) plus follow on provincial club championships, two rounds of NFL fixtures then knockout format inter-county All-Ireland championships.

All knockout games bar All-Ireland finals to go to extra-time and penalties if necessary.

Sun August 2 Dublin Club Hurling Group R1
Wed August 5 Dublin Club Football Group R1
Sun August 9 Dublin Club Hurling Group R2
Wed August 12 Dublin Club Football Group R2
Sun August 16 Dublin Club Hurling Group R3
Sun August 23 Dublin Club Football Group R3
Wed August 26 Dublin Club Hurling Q/F
Sun August 30 Dublin Club Football Q/F
Wed September 2 Dublin Club Hurling S/F
Sun September 6 Dublin Club Football S/F
Sun September 13 Dublin Club Football and Hurling Finals
Sun September 20 Provincial Club Prelim Rounds
Sun September 27 Provincial Club Q/F
Sun October 4 Provincial Club S/F
Sun October 11 Provincial Club Finals
Sun October 18 All-Ireland Club Semi-Finals
Sun October 25 (Bank Holiday) All-Ireland Club Finals/NFL Round 6
Sun November 1 NFL Round 7
Sun November 8 Inter-county Provincial Prelim Rounds
Sun November 15 Provincial Quarter-Finals
Sun November 22 Provincial Quarter-Finals
Sun November 29 Provincial Semi-Finals
Sun December 6 Provincial Semi-Finals
Sun December 13 Provincial Finals
Sun December 20 Provincial Finals
Sat/Sun January 9/10 All-Ireland Hurling Semi-Finals
Sat/Sun January 16/17 All-Ireland Football Semi-Finals
Sun January 24 All-Ireland Hurling Final
Sun January 31 All-Ireland Football Final

They need to run off the  Championship before phase 2 of the virus kicks off.

It is a very tall order.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on June 06, 2020, 11:56:54 AM

It is a very tall order.

At present, there is only a significant number of Covid cases in Dublin, Cavan, Monaghan, Antrim and maybe Cork.
Throw these out and have a championship involving everyone else, Antrim weren't going to win anyway.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2020, 12:59:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 06, 2020, 11:56:54 AM

It is a very tall order.

At present, there is only a significant number of Covid cases in Dublin, Cavan, Monaghan, Antrim and maybe Cork.
Throw these out and have a championship involving everyone else, Antrim weren't going to win anyway.

If you threw out Dublin Kerry Mayo and the other teams that have made the championship watchable in the late stages it be very boring
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

If youse a decent Dual Player playing County level you face a f**king mental 4 months from August!!!

Cluborcountywhynotboth

A bit of crying and complaining from some about these proposals, but the bottom line is these are probably the most exceptional circumstances the GAA (in-fact society) has faced in a lifetime, maybe ever. There would be absolutely no way to make the perfect proposals and there would be some people who would have some issue no matter what was put forward. For me it's just a case of take what we are given for one year only and enjoy it as much as we can. Hopefully next year we will be back to normal.

armaghniac

Quote from: screenexile on June 06, 2020, 01:09:48 PM
If youse a decent Dual Player playing County level you face a f**king mental 4 months from August!!!

The entire GAA cannot revolve around a handful of players. Just prohibit dual playing on county squads at least.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

screenexile

Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2020, 01:58:05 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 06, 2020, 01:09:48 PM

The entire GAA cannot revolve around a handful of players. Just prohibit dual playing on county squads at least.

Jesus that's some can of worms you'd be opening there!! Hard to see how it can be managed though.