Big tech and personal data

Started by seafoid, October 30, 2018, 08:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

What do people think? Privacy is dead. If you have an iPhone or smartphone it is complicit as  is any Facebook data. Is this desirable?

https://tinyurl.com/y7djhsu9

The threat right now is the everyday part of it, which is the mass accumulation of data, the lack of privacy and that there isn't any tight control or ethics. People just aren't aware of the risk and the bias in the system that can lead to a very unequal society.

Cook warned that technology's promise to drive breakthroughs that benefit humanity is at risk of being overshadowed by the harm it can cause by deepening division and spreading false information.
"Our own information, from the everyday to the deeply personal, is being weaponized against us with military efficiency," he said. Scraps of personal data are collected for digital profiles that let businesses know users better than they know themselves and allow companies to offer users "increasingly extreme content" that hardens their convictions, Cook said.
"This is surveillance. And these stockpiles of personal data serve only to enrich the companies that collect them," he said. "This should make us very uncomfortable. It should unsettle us."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hereiam

Has people noticed the layout now of most web pages. You have this massive advert down both sides of the page now with the actual page only taking up about half the screen.

Milltown Row2

Someone should lead the charge to come off the media sites, instagram, Facebook, twitter and others (only three that I know) and get back to normal living..

Should set up a website that will encourage people to come off the internet.... Oh wait

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Solo_run

Quote from: Hereiam on October 30, 2018, 09:26:44 AM
Has people noticed the layout now of most web pages. You have this massive advert down both sides of the page now with the actual page only taking up about half the screen.

That has been done for a while - perhaps a change for social media.

Solo_run

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 30, 2018, 10:02:21 AM
Someone should lead the charge to come off the media sites, instagram, Facebook, twitter and others (only three that I know) and get back to normal living..

Should set up a website that will encourage people to come off the internet.... Oh wait

I am going to go off on a rant about media/technology and social media here...

It is great to be able to connect and talk to people about different interests. However, the psychological effects technology is having is going to be quite disturbing in the future. Self-image is taking a hammering at the moment through the use of instagram, mental health issues are expected to rise dramatically in the next decade and undoubtedly technology is going to have a massive impact on that and in treatment. There was a study a few years ago looking at the influence the media has on society. The study looked at suicide rates after a soap opera dealt with a suicide storyline and a significant increase in suicide rates was observed in the study. Then of course mental health is being sexualised - Harley Quinn for example.

Nobody realises how powerful and danger technological use can be. 

imtommygunn

If you look at the likes of cambridge analytica and how they used data etc to influence elections then you can see it is actually being used to shape society too. Then there is all the russian stuff in the US election.

People aren't reading news sites any more and are being fed news by social media.

You would see a lot of people who should know a lot better reposting all these articles which are clearly bullshit too. That's both left and right.

Bullying etc is bound to have increased dramatically especially in younger ones as it's so easy now too.

RedHand88

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 30, 2018, 01:50:23 PM
If you look at the likes of cambridge analytica and how they used data etc to influence elections then you can see it is actually being used to shape society too. Then there is all the russian stuff in the US election.

People aren't reading news sites any more and are being fed news by social media.

You would see a lot of people who should know a lot better reposting all these articles which are clearly bullshit too. That's both left and right.

Bullying etc is bound to have increased dramatically especially in younger ones as it's so easy now too.

This is a huge part of the problem. When people see a news story now they go straight to the comments without reading the article.

BennyCake

Social media is here to stay. I hear countless people moan about FB but they can't seem to drag themselves off it. It's so ingrained as a communication device that if people went off it, they wouid feel so isolated, that that isolation would cause it's own problems

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 30, 2018, 01:50:23 PM

Newspapers are dying as well
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

As a consequence of social media.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Solo_run on October 30, 2018, 01:40:18 PM

I am going to go off on a rant about media/technology and social media here...

It is great to be able to connect and talk to people about different interests. However, the psychological effects technology is having is going to be quite disturbing in the future. Self-image is taking a hammering at the moment through the use of instagram, mental health issues are expected to rise dramatically in the next decade and undoubtedly technology is going to have a massive impact on that and in treatment. There was a study a few years ago looking at the influence the media has on society. The study looked at suicide rates after a soap opera dealt with a suicide storyline and a significant increase in suicide rates was observed in the study. Then of course mental health is being sexualised - Harley Quinn for example.

Nobody realises how powerful and danger technological use can be.

Its an addiction, kids (teenagers) can't function without a phone to check their instagram/twitter/facebook and snapchat (the one i forgot about) ... they get all their information from google and order everything online which reduces their ability to interact with people face to face..

One of the biggest problems is the social acceptance that kids feel they need from friends and not so close friends, not getting a like for a photo, or no comments from a post results in feeling left out or cast aside by their 'friends' the bullying aspect has increased the most, and kids struggle with anexity and other complex feelings during that age that being picked on or no one giving you attention again results in depression/worry/anexity...

Now the big tech companies know by tapping into the information being given up by these people that they can encourage or tempt people into buying their products.

The charger (of a device) plays a big part in kids life, how much percent have you? My charger is broken!

As you have said its got great points but in the main its a menace.. I didnt have a phone up to I got married. My first email address was made in 2003 so would we miss it if it went away?

I'd probably have to go to the pub and have my daily rant, god knows what my wife would do without Candycrush or such games!

Will only get worse from here on in
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Solo_run

Quote from: BennyCake on October 30, 2018, 01:52:47 PM

Social media is here to stay. I hear countless people moan about FB but they can't seem to drag themselves off it. It's so ingrained as a communication device that if people went off it, they wouid feel so isolated, that that isolation would cause it's own problems

I find the people who don't come off it are nosy f****s who need to know what is going on in other peoples lives.
Yes technology is great for isolated people, they are beginning to use it for old people who are house bound and even for doctors to diagnose patients. However, it could be argued that technology is causing people to become more isolated.

What I find hard to get my head around is that people will sit there watching pointless TV for hours on end rather that learn a new skill or educate themselves.

rosnarun

the main effect I see is an overexaggeration of everything . including the problem itself.
it like the recent rows in the GAA they are only a big issue because we have picture and an easy way of disseminating them . I have seen no evidence that the numbers of incidences have increased at all .
the same goes for homelessness bullying and suicide
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere