Galway vs Dublin - All Ireland Semi Final - 11/8/2018

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 06, 2018, 02:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2018, 07:12:50 PM
For all the Galway hype, you could arguably place them as the 5th best team in Ireland.

2 to 6 could probably beat each other on any given day. Don't think there is much difference between that bunch of sides.

Crete Boom

Quote from: seafoid on August 11, 2018, 06:44:01 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on August 11, 2018, 06:36:49 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 11, 2018, 06:31:01 PM
Its funny how Galway have had Mayo number past few years but Mayo would have given Dublin plenty to think about the day given how poor they have been!

Nowt funny about it , Mayo 16 and 17 peaked for finals , Galway not near that standard , today proved that to people like me who actually thought Galway were capable .
It took Mayo 6 years to get to the 2016 standard. This is Galway's first semi. Mayo are meanwhile banjaxed
2011, Mayo win Connacht and get to semi final beating reigning champions Cork.
2012, Mayo win Connacht and get to final beating reigning champions Dublin.
2013, Mayo win Connacht and get to final beating reigning champions Donegal.
2014, Mayo win Connacht and lose semi final replay against Kerry after extra time.

2016, Galway win Connacht and lose heavily in quarter final to Tipperary.
2017, Galway lose heavily to Ross in Connacht final and go out with a whimper to Kerry in quarter final.
2018, Galway win Connacht, beat Kerry in Croke park but end the season with heavy defeats to Monaghan and Dublin.
2019?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Mayo Mick on August 11, 2018, 06:57:30 PM
Quote from: Jayop on August 11, 2018, 06:46:59 PM
Won't surprise me at all to see Galway back stronger in the semi final next year if they can learn from that. Mayo on the other hand look badly on the slide.

Would not agree that we are on slide and we will be back next year as a force. But Galway have potential to build towards at least reaching an AI final in next 2 or 3 years. They now know the physical and fitness levels they need to reach and they also know the players that are not up to it at this level.  A good year for Galway on the learning curve.
After reaching back to back All Ireland finals Mayo didn't even reach the last eight this year. That is the very definition of on the slide.

Jayop

For all the Galway hype, you could arguably place them as the 5th best team in Ireland.

Who's no4?

lenny

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 11, 2018, 07:16:27 PM

2 to 6 could probably beat each other on any given day. Don't think there is much difference between that bunch of sides.

I'd say they're probably number 2 at the moment. We'll know better after the final.

twohands!!!

A Stat that looks very relevant in light of Galway's two most lethargic recent performances - they really looked a side that was running on empty in those two games.

Galway had 19 players who played 7 or more games in this year's league campaign ; 13 of the 15 starters today and 4 out of the 6 subs used today were among those 19.

It really looks to me like they need to develop their squad depth in terms of developing it beyond their first 20 players.

Cunny Funt

Well done to Dublin on as expected a very comfortable win. So much for the few Dublin fans on here that was trying to build this game up.

Even though some people wanted to ignore it the Galway defensive system malfunctioned last weekend, when you concede 0-16 to Monaghan at home they were always going to concede big score to Dublin today in Croke park and without that set system in place most of Galways defenders look average at best and a bit lost. Tiredness as outlined in twohands post probably played a part in that malfunction though. Anyway Galway can be happy with the progress they made this year and will need to build on that progress now.

Mayo wouldn't have got much closer today, both midfielders would still be out,to many players either out of form or past their best and Mayo's bench is probably not as strong as Galways.

sid waddell

Quote from: lenny on August 11, 2018, 07:33:37 PM

I'd say they're probably number 2 at the moment. We'll know better after the final.
In reality Mayo are still number 2 and probably Kerry number 3, maybe Tyrone. Galway, Monaghan and Donegal are 5, 6 and 7 in no particular order.

Jayop

Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2018, 07:33:08 PM
Quote from: Jayop on August 11, 2018, 07:29:43 PM

Who's no4?
Donegal.

Meh. They were more overrated than Galway this year. Easiest route to an Ulster ever and only beat Roscommon in the super 8. They were relegated from d1 while Galway got to the final. I'd have Galway well ahead of them this summer.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Jayop on August 11, 2018, 07:55:18 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2018, 07:33:08 PM
Quote from: Jayop on August 11, 2018, 07:29:43 PM

Who's no4?
Donegal.

Meh. They were more overrated than Galway this year. Easiest route to an Ulster ever and only beat Roscommon in the super 8. They were relegated from d1 while Galway got to the final. I'd have Galway well ahead of them this summer.

Debatable who was better. League is the league and really it should have been Mayo instead of Donegal relegated. If Donegal and Galway had swapped groups I think Donegal would have reached the semi final and Galway eliminated last weekend.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: sid waddell on August 11, 2018, 07:49:46 PM

2 to 6 could probably beat each other on any given day. Don’t think there is much difference between that bunch of sides.

I’d say they’re probably number 2 at the moment. We’ll know better after the final.
In reality Mayo are still number 2 and probably Kerry number 3, maybe Tyrone. Galway, Monaghan and Donegal are 5, 6 and 7 in no particular order.
No the reality is those two sides are in transition and hope to become number 2 and 3 in the years ahead again.

straightred

i dont know if 5th is fair but for some reason they had been anointed the 2nd best team in the country but events of the last 7 days kills that argument. Very little between tyrone, monaghan and Galway. We'll see how the winners tomorrow get on in the final but i expect they'll make a better fist of it than Galway did today.

macdanger2

Disappointing for Galway today but definitely progress from previous years. I think ye need a better manager than Walsh there, I don't think he's good enough to beat Dublin.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 11, 2018, 08:14:14 PM
Disappointing for Galway today but definitely progress from previous years. I think ye need a better manager than Walsh there, I don't think he's good enough to beat Dublin.

Apparently he's non commital about his future. Rumours Tally might be off to Down so he may decide it's time to let someone else have a go.

sid waddell

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 11, 2018, 08:04:20 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 11, 2018, 07:49:46 PM

No the reality is those two sides are in transition and hope to become number 2 and 3 in the years ahead again.
Knockout football can produce surprise results.

Galway are improving for sure but their ceiling is still lower than Mayo's. Mayo would have run Dublin a lot closer than Galway did today.

Tyrone went out to Laois in Round 2 of the qualifiers in 2006 but it didn't mean Tyrone had suddenly gone away. Meath went out to Offaly in the first round of the Leinster championship in 2000 but they hadn't gone away either. Fermanagh beat Armagh in 2004 but it didn't mean Fermanagh were a better team than Armagh, they just were very slightly better on a given day. Donegal were completely thrashed by Mayo in 2013 but it didn't mean Donegal were no hopers.

Repeat ad infinitum.