Tyrone v Dublin for a place in the aisf. Omagh

Started by rrhf, July 15, 2018, 09:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Promises to be a massive test for Tyrone, I'm not particularly impressed by any of the recent wins - I expected Tyrone to get to the Super 8's by hook or crook, that they have. The nature of the win over Roscommon however has got some people in Tyrone a little bit over excited I believe. It was a very high score against a team that surprisingly folded. Obviously Dublin don't do that sort of thing. Although they aren't exactly firing on all cylinders themselves right now.

Straight up, I don't see anyway in which Tyrone can beat Dublin - Omagh might not actually be to their advantage in this endeavour either as it's hardly been a fortress - Dublin will know well, and have arguably better players to do so with how Monaghan made the pitch so wide in the Ulster Championship game - this will be the first time since Monaghan this team has played a team on or above their level hence my caution despite the high scoring wins since (bar Meath).

It will take an almighty off day for Dublin for Tyrone to win, I don't think they have the aggression or physiques to go after the Dubs like Mayo have so that route is out, it's building up to a packed defence repeat of last summer, something which I'll need a few beers beforehand if so.  Dublin weren't brilliant against Donegal, missed plenty and still racked up 2-15. They'll make changes as well they can too.

Overall quite negative on Tyrone's chances here - still think it comes down to a shootout v Donegal in Ballybofey.

BennyHarp

It's hard to make a convincing case for Tyrone but I'm going to try. Firstly, we are at home, the Dubs have never travelled to Ulster for a championship match and there is no way we can let ourselves be as bad again on our own home turf - there's no Hill to exaggerate every missed pass or bad tackle. Secondly we have a few upgrades on last year, McKernan for McCrory at corner back, Hampsey to pick up Fenton in midfield (can we believe Conal McCann started there last Sumner) Frank Burns is a huge addition to our defence and our ability to break forward, the progress of Conor Meyler and Ritchie Donnelly is promising - albeit this is the acid test for them. The return of Conor McAliskey in the form he is in is an upgrade on last year and he is a reliable free taker. There are likely to be 7 changes from last years starting line up, all upgrades in my view with the option of subs like Mark Bradley to come in. So this isn't the same old team as last year. The big loss is Cavanagh but I watched him closely last year and the Dubs targeted him a a potential weak link as he moved out the pitch. They dropped kick outs in his direction and ran at him - he was becoming a liability at that level. If Ritchie plays at the edge of the square and we can get decent ball in then that's a positive. Thirdly Mickey Harte has proven himself to be superb when involved in replays over the years - this is as close as we get to a replay and Mickey has had 10 months to figure out how to improve with Dublin in mind. I believe he thought the tactics last year would work - they didn't! Nobody knows that better than him. I would be very surprised to see a carbon copy repeat of last years tactics - we will go for them, try and pressurise them and see if, after 3 or 4 All Ireland's, they really are up for another battle of Omagh. Finally, we will never have such a good opportunity to put right such a poor performance again. We have the AI champions, who annihilated is last year, at home, in Omagh, potentially,  for a place in the AI semi final - any Tyrone man / woman worth their salt should get behind this team and the players should be running through the walls in Omagh to get at the Dubs - and you just never know. Tyrone by 4.
That was never a square ball!!

Walter Cronc

RedHand88

BennyHarp

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 17, 2018, 01:03:07 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 17, 2018, 12:56:47 PM
What are you smoking Benny!!

Why is defeatism so rife in the GAA these days?

He's from Derry - it's why they are where they are.
That was never a square ball!!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 17, 2018, 01:07:49 PM

There's defeatism and there's realism!

seafoid

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 17, 2018, 01:08:53 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 17, 2018, 01:07:49 PM

There's defeatism and there's realism!
Sean Cavanagh said he really believed Tyrone were going to win Sam last year.
It all fits into the same pattern.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jayop

I've been thinking about the performance last week by Dublin and them being off the pace is probably the worst thing for Tyrone. Gives them motivation to improve and they haven't had that in a long time.

longballin

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 17, 2018, 12:44:16 PM
It's hard to make a convincing case for Tyrone but I'm going to try. Firstly, we are at home, the Dubs have never travelled to Ulster for a championship match and there is no way we can let ourselves be as bad again on our own home turf - there's no Hill to exaggerate every missed pass or bad tackle. Secondly we have a few upgrades on last year, McKernan for McCrory at corner back, Hampsey to pick up Fenton in midfield (can we believe Conal McCann started there last Sumner) Frank Burns is a huge addition to our defence and our ability to break forward, the progress of Conor Meyler and Ritchie Donnelly is promising - albeit this is the acid test for them. The return of Conor McAliskey in the form he is in is an upgrade on last year and he is a reliable free taker. There are likely to be 7 changes from last years starting line up, all upgrades in my view with the option of subs like Mark Bradley to come in. So this isn't the same old team as last year. The big loss is Cavanagh but I watched him closely last year and the Dubs targeted him a a potential weak link as he moved out the pitch. They dropped kick outs in his direction and ran at him - he was becoming a liability at that level. If Ritchie plays at the edge of the square and we can get decent ball in then that's a positive. Thirdly Mickey Harte has proven himself to be superb when involved in replays over the years - this is as close as we get to a replay and Mickey has had 10 months to figure out how to improve with Dublin in mind. I believe he thought the tactics last year would work - they didn't! Nobody knows that better than him. I would be very surprised to see a carbon copy repeat of last years tactics - we will go for them, try and pressurise them and see if, after 3 or 4 All Ireland's, they really are up for another battle of Omagh. Finally, we will never have such a good opportunity to put right such a poor performance again. We have the AI champions, who annihilated is last year, at home, in Omagh, potentially,  for a place in the AI semi final - any Tyrone man / woman worth their salt should get behind this team and the players should be running through the walls in Omagh to get at the Dubs - and you just never know. Tyrone by 4.

The Dubs beat Derry in a qualifier game in Clones in 2003. If Tyrone go for a win I think they can give Dublin a good game though I'm not sure we can beat them. This is a class Dublin team, too classy I think. But Tyrone just throw the sink at them and if we lose so be it... anything but that attitude in Croke Park last August defending a defeat.

Redhand Santa

I would agree that we have a stronger team than last year. The players that have come into the team definitely have added something. The likes of Burns, Meyler and McShane offer a lot more energy than Conall McCann, McRory and Mulgrew (who is young and may well improve). I seriously doubt if Tyrone's heads are right that we are a 12 point worse team than Dublin.

Whether we have enough to beat them only time will tell. But I hope we go out and give it everything and really pressurise the Dubs on the ball and push up on them when we can. We can't sit back like last year and watch them play the ball around us.

Kick outs are going to be a major impact on the game. We have to be prepared to go man for man on a lot of their kick outs and not give Cluxton the easy options like last year. That was criminal allowing them free men so much space around the middle. On our own kick outs they will no doubt push up on us. If that's the case we need to bring a lot of men into defence and back ourselves to win the long ball which will create space at the other end. If both these things happen there is going to be a lot of contested ball around the middle. Against Monaghan we got cleaned out with one man often getting isolated versus three or four Monaghan men. Since that we seem to have worked on getting bodies around were the kick out is going and competing for the breaks. They could well be were the game is won or lost.

If we half push up on the kick out like last year it will be game over. I'd be surprised if lessons haven't been learnt from then. If so I suspect we'll push hard on some kick outs and for others we'll not contest it and get the defence in place.

I hope our supporters show up and get behind the team instead of all this constant negativity. We have a unique opportunity to welcome the All Ireland champs to our home ground with the opportunity of securing a place in the all Ireland semi final. Really hope the players go out and perform and show this Dublin team isn't unbeatable. Some day it will be proven, let's hope we are the team to do it.

trailer

YES, YES & YES. I'm so fired up for this now.... WE CAN DO IT!!

JoG2

Agreed, with a few more uppercase "WE CAN DO IT's"! and, most importantly, if you throw that kitchen sink hard enough, anything is possible in sport.

seafoid

Quote from: trailer on July 17, 2018, 02:19:54 PM

YES, YES & YES. I'm so fired up for this now.... WE CAN DO IT!!

https://youtu.be/GIQn8pab8Vc
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tyroneman

Ultimately it's gonna come down to Donegal game, which in the last few years is the secomd most difficult match + venue for Tyrone next to playing Dublin in Croke.

If we beat Dublin, great if we don't then it's all a further step along the learning curve.

No reason to be defeatest before Sat though.