N17

Started by seafoid, September 27, 2017, 02:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

A new motorway joining the hurling and football heartlands of Galway has been unveiled

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/new-motorway-cuts-journey-times-but-saw-doctors-lament-end-of-an-era-36174021.html

All they need to do now is sell Pairc na Gaoithe in Salthill to the rubby

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mouview

Sawdoctors decommissioning songs as we speak. In the old East Galway ED, competing politicians from the same party would be told to stay either side of the railway line when canvassing. Don't think being told to observe motorway routes would have the same ring or geographical demarcation to it. Milltown will become the new Claregalway very soon.

Syferus

It's still the main road from Sligo to Tuam..

FL/MAYO

How long will it take to get from Shannon to Milltown now? In the old days going through all the old villages it took about 2 hours to get to Milltown.
The Sawdoctors were right about taking the turn in Claregalway, once I passed church I became silent as I knew it wouldn't be long until I said goodbye to my parents again before heading back.

magpie seanie

Quote from: seafoid on September 27, 2017, 02:58:39 PM
A new motorway joining the hurling and football heartlands of Galway has been unveiled

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/new-motorway-cuts-journey-times-but-saw-doctors-lament-end-of-an-era-36174021.html

Please make this happen!!!

whitey

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 27, 2017, 04:06:07 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 27, 2017, 02:58:39 PM

Please make this happen!!!

A few years ago, some of Mayos staunchest supporters had to turn around and go home.  The traffic was back up for hours in every direction

At least in Castlebar there's 3/4 major roads within a half mile of the stadium, so if one road is backs up you can easily take another
Day

magpie seanie

Never should have been redeveloped. Crazy decision. I'm working in Galway and stay here a couple of nights a week. Such a job I had to get to Salthill for the hurlers homecoming. No wonder the Leinster Council won't give them any home game!

mouview

Agree. New N17 is even more incentive now to develop Tuam Stadium up to an acceptable level. So many roads into and out of town.

FL/MAYO

The route to Dublin for people in South Mayo will probably go through Tuam and onto the Dublin/Galway motorway instead of going up through Roscommon as it does now. It's a bit longer in distance but should be a lot quicker.

magpie seanie

Went home via the new M17 last night. Saved me 25 minutes on my usual trip. Coming to Galway this morning it probably saved me 5-10 minutes only but I travel early so it's usually not too bad. A fine addition to the roads network!

FL/MAYO

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 28, 2017, 02:14:07 PM
Went home via the new M17 last night. Saved me 25 minutes on my usual trip. Coming to Galway this morning it probably saved me 5-10 minutes only but I travel early so it's usually not too bad. A fine addition to the roads network!

What part of Galway are you based Seanie, and which direction were you heading?

magpie seanie

Quote from: FL/MAYO on September 28, 2017, 03:19:50 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 28, 2017, 02:14:07 PM

What part of Galway are you based Seanie, and which direction were you heading?

Working in Parkmore. Since it opened I go on to Dublin road and then onto M17 before Athenry when I'm heading back to Sligo. I don't go home to Sligo every day - stay in Galway a couple of nights a week.

seafoid

I think they are planning a new ring road around Galway. Either somewhere along that route or else Tuam would be the best site for the football stadium. Tuam has all the history.
PS is joke. It was built when Galway had maybe one tenth of the cars it has now.

The N17 will be improved over time as well. The Claremorris bypass is a great development for example. Travel times from Sligo will continue to fall. Tuam has loads of space for parking too.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

Yeah Seafoid. It's a bit far for a commute but the motorway and the times I travel at (early) mean my trips vary between 1hr30 and 1hr40 now. If it got down to 1:15/1:20 it would be much more manageable. Crazy amounts of good jobs in Galway and practically nothing in Sligo and surrounds.

Despite almost always getting hammered there I always preferred going to Tuam. I think we won an U21 game there about 10 years ago or less, Paul Conroy was playing, (one of the last times I was there) and it's the only time I remember seeing Sligo win there.

Rossfan

Apart from FBD we were there for the U21 Final in 2015.
An excicing shoot out but the defending... !!!!
Always liked Tuam - probably the central Square in the town always gave a unique atmosphere and Ros have a decent record there over the years.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM