The WINE thread

Started by CitySlicker11, December 11, 2014, 11:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Puckoon on October 19, 2018, 05:41:52 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 17, 2018, 05:01:31 PM

Try and stick to the Spanish, Italian , or French reds, reduced hangovers (providing you don't drink two bottles) New world wine is cheaper but as Ive said very often on here Tesco and other shops run a 25% discount for 6 or more, which will on average give you good bottles of wines for a fiver!

I'll give you a few types later

Obviously Biased here, living on Napa's door step but why exactly should one not try New World Wines?

Napa Cabs and Pinots will go toe to toe with all and any of the French and Spanish famed wines.

I enjoy a Cote Du Rhone, a Beajoulais, and a Temperanillo - but if I wanna really get nose down in a cracking bottle of Red there are wonderful Californian and Oregon options.

It's just what you are used too I suppose, the production process is different and so is the bottling and storage.. on a personal level for taste after taste and more importantly in the morning, I've no hangover..

But I'd be very happy to let you give me some decent wine dead from your end, I agree with you on the Pinot's there are some lovely Californian ones
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Puckoon

Well you just called me a functioning alcoholic on the other thread so the offer is rescinded :D

JoG2

Try and stick to the Spanish, Italian , or French reds, reduced hangovers (providing you don't drink two bottles) New world wine is cheaper but as Ive said very often on here Tesco and other shops run a 25% discount for 6 or more, which will on average give you good bottles of wines for a fiver!

Obviously Biased here, living on Napa's door step but why exactly should one not try New World Wines?

Napa Cabs and Pinots will go toe to toe with all and any of the French and Spanish famed wines.

I enjoy a Cote Du Rhone, a Beajoulais, and a Temperanillo - but if I wanna really get nose down in a cracking bottle of Red there are wonderful Californian and Oregon options.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0914797/

Bottle Shock, a wine off between California and France.

seafoid

I don't know if American Pinot can match the best Burgundy. And I never had anything as good as a Montrachet.
But other than that there is a lot of very good non European wine.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ziggy90

Does anyone else look at the strength of the wine before buying?
The Black Stump (Aussie Shiraz) is 15% and lovely and smooth to drink.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: ziggy90 on October 19, 2018, 08:40:31 PM

Amarone della Valpolicella is always around 15% as well. Pricey stuff, but very nice.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Puckoon on October 19, 2018, 05:56:06 PM
Well you just called me a functioning alcoholic on the other thread so the offer is rescinded :D

That wasn't directed at you per say.. but if I struck chord then im sorry  ;

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on October 19, 2018, 08:44:03 PM

Amarone della Valpolicella is always around 15% as well. Pricey stuff, but very nice.

15% is rocket fuel for wine! Lot of German wines can be strong, remember a party at mine and friend had a bottle of it was was completely out of it!

ONeill

Never buy less than 13. 12.5 at a push. Anything lower is balls.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Taylor

Any recommendations for a newbie for red wines that aren't expensive?

Have drank a few merlot and some are grand. Any merlots to look out for or indeed any other type of red?

Rois

Seriously, Beaujolais - less than £10 most of the time.

Not suitable for the 15% crowd, but you will def like it even if you don't love it.

omochain

If you live in the US and have a Costco or Safeway close by. Bogle Old Vine Zinfandel is very good value at $8 a bottle. I think I saw it in Armagh City but it was close to £20. Anyway relative to the other stuff I bought in McAnerney's it stands up well at £20.

seafoid

Quote from: Taylor on October 19, 2018, 10:49:41 PM
Any recommendations for a newbie for red wines that aren't expensive?

Have drank a few merlot and some are grand. Any merlots to look out for or indeed any other type of red?
Baron de Lestac
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: ONeill on October 19, 2018, 09:52:04 PM

Never buy less than 13. 12.5 at a push. Anything lower is balls.

Seconded...with the exception of Champagne, of course. Always a standard 12%.

Insane Bolt

Enjoying Saint Emilion Grand Cru 2014 at minute.