FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: michaelg on November 16, 2018, 07:20:58 AM
Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on November 15, 2018, 11:40:14 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 15, 2018, 11:00:02 PM
Did the OWC Parachute Regiment fleg get hung out at the Aviva? 

I scanned the away section a few times and didnt see it. Someone did have a St Patrick flag up with a NI crest. Bit more refreshing!
Seems like folk on here were willing the NI fans to let themselves down.  Bar a few boos for JMcC, it all seemed fairly "friendly".  Actually thought that the "He's one of our own" chant was quite amusing, but there you go.  I imagine a NI flag / banner with Rangers emblazened on it would have sparked quite a reaction.  Double standards anyone?

The thing about the RoI fans is that NI is just another team.
But for too many people in NI their identity is defined as not Irish.
Which means that RoI can never be just another team.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

upmonaghansayswe

I scanned the away section a few times and didnt see it. Someone did have a St Patrick flag up with a NI crest. Bit more refreshing!
Seems like folk on here were willing the NI fans to let themselves down.  Bar a few boos for JMcC, it all seemed fairly "friendly".  Actually thought that the "He's one of our own" chant was quite amusing, but there you go.  I imagine a NI flag / banner with Rangers emblazened on it would have sparked quite a reaction.  Double standards anyone?

I've a flag myself so always look at others in stadiums. Having seen a photo online that it travelled I was curious to see would it appear. North fans had quiet a few including a royal one.

Applesisapples

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on November 16, 2018, 08:42:29 AM

I've a flag myself so always look at others in stadiums. Having seen a photo online that it travelled I was curious to see would it appear. North fans had quiet a few including a royal one.
Its a cottage industry in loyalist areas, inventing flegs at least 3 new ones every year.

AZOffaly

Very funny. What is the anti NI abuse the ROI fans dished out? I didn't watch any of the game so I didn't hear any.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 16, 2018, 09:44:27 AM
Very funny. What is the anti NI abuse the ROI fans dished out? I didn't watch any of the game so I didn't hear any.
Last night, Sky Sports News reported that ROI fans booed the NI "national anthem" and that NI fans booed James McClean. Then they showed clips of the booing by both sides.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Hound on November 16, 2018, 11:44:11 AM
Last night, Sky Sports News reported that ROI fans booed the NI "national anthem" and that NI fans booed James McClean. Then they showed clips of the booing by both sides.

If someone regards "booing"as abuse they need to stop going to sawker matches.

A more important reflection is that in no way shape of form could Northern Ireland be seen as having superior playing resources that the Republic.  Yet they played far superior.  To me it highlights that Martin O'Neill is a bluffer.  It's one thing to claim poverty when playing teams like Germany, France etc.., even Denmark.  However against Northern Ireland? 

The difference in organization was hugely apparent last night.

I think Martin O'Neill realized this comparison himself as he threw himself on his sword in post-match interview, saying he had let team down last night.

/Jim.

rodney trotter

Didn't realize Aaron Hughes was still an International player. On the bench for the North last night, at 39.

No1

A more important reflection is that in no way shape of form could Northern Ireland be seen as having superior playing resources that the Republic.  Yet they played far superior.  To me it highlights that Martin O'Neill is a bluffer.  It's one thing to claim poverty when playing teams like Germany, France etc.., even Denmark.  However against Northern Ireland? 

The difference in organization was hugely apparent last night.

I think Martin O'Neill realized this comparison himself as he threw himself on his sword in post-match interview, saying he had let team down last night.

Couldn't agree more.  Martin's time has been and gone. 

Shamrock Shore

I am sure I said it many pages back but I was told long ago by someone who knows his football that Martin O'Neill was a spoofer.

Time to go Martin before you poison the psyche of the team for a generation.

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 16, 2018, 02:54:28 PM
I am sure I said it many pages back but I was told long ago by someone who knows his football that Martin O'Neill was a spoofer.

Time to go Martin before you poison the psyche of the team for a generation.
He probably is spoofing SS. Soccer managers rarely stay relevant for more than 10 years as Man Utd have been finding out repeatedly.
At the same time the players do not have what Mullinalaghta have. Pride and balls. And they won't be remembered like that FMG team are. It is all about class and not the level and they don't have it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Main Street

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 16, 2018, 12:50:10 PM
Quote from: Hound on November 16, 2018, 11:44:11 AM

If someone regards "booing"as abuse they need to stop going to sawker matches.

/Jim.
Bryson claimed it was an evening of anti-british hate & abuse from ROI supporters ;D
Nevertheless I thought the loud booing of GSTQ was a disappointing feature. When the North were at the Aviva for that Celtic Nations tournament, I don't recall any booing.

imtommygunn

Bryson's tweeton the munster flag was priceless ;D

I would agree the booing of gstq was disappointing though ni need to remove that if they really want to be fully inclusive.

BennyCake

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 16, 2018, 06:18:41 PM
Bryson's tweeton the munster flag was priceless ;D

I would agree the booing of gstq was disappointing though ni need to remove that if they really want to be fully inclusive.

Yep. While I'm no fan of rugby or that shitty Ireland's Call, at least they've had the balls to make that effort. As have the hockey.

It's even more embarrassing for the ifa, considering Wales or Scotland don't use that anthem. Playing gstq only makes them look a bunch of tools.