FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

From twotter:

ireland team v wales: given, o'shea, dunne, st ledger, clark, coleman, whelan, walters, doyle, duff, gibson/green

And they are right about Gibson being green.
MWWSI 2017

Celt_Man

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BennyHarp

Went to watch Leeds v Norwich last weekend. I dont really know much about him but Wes Houlahan ran the show for Norwich. Can't see him fitting into a Trappatoni structure but definitely looked like a decent player!
That was never a square ball!!

Leo

James McCarthy is a gem and we should embrace him AS LONG AS HE IS INTERESTED IN PLAYING for Ireland - if not, close the book. With rampant emigration we will become more and more dependant on second generation Irish in years to come and should accept that - as long as we can tell the difference between genuine lads like Mick McCarthy & Kevin Kilbane as opposed to the Cascarinos and Manciinis of this world.

By the way, if the best manager in England EVER (ferguson you ABU person) rates Gibson, then he'll do me. He has stuck with O'Shea and been proven right he's probably right about Gibson too.

Once we get past the Dublin bias that glorifies run-of-the  mill players who have barely escaped the doldrums of the League of Ireland and recognise that players performing regularly in the English Championship are a better bet that those on the reserve teams of the premiership, we can build a real team.
Fierce tame altogether

muppet

Irish Youth International Conor Henderson played for Arsenal against Leyton Orient. Wenger sees him as a future first team regular. He is a ball playing midfielder but was born in England.

We should get him capped at senior level pronto.

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/arsenal-look-to-the-future

Conor Henderson made his first team debut for Arsenal last night in their 5-0 victory over Leyton Orient at the Emirates Stadium.

The 19 year old Republic of Ireland youth international put on a sparkling performance in midfield, roaming into numerous positions throughout the 90 minutes. He was assured in possession and always looked to get the ball forward quickly to his team-mates.

Henderson is a product of the Arsenal youth academy, and has made eight appearances for the reserves scoring one goal this season.

His development into the Arsenal first team set up has been hampered by injury after the player was ruled out for the majority of last season with a knee injury sustained on his reserve team debut.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger was impressed with the youngsters contribution though, and told arsenal.com: "When you look at all the players that come out now (of the Arsenal academy), its amazing. He has done well, and shown that he is technically at the level we request here.

"He has a nice, smooth left foot and good build. He would have been involved a long time ago but was injured."

Arsenal teammate Jack Wilshire was also full of praise for the Irishman, and after the game tweeted: "Good win tonight, good to see big Nick scoring a hat-trick - Henderson looks a player too, the future is bright."

Ignasi Miquel also played the full 90 minutes, looking comfortable throughout. The 18-year-old Spanish centre back was commanding in defence, starting a number of Arsenal attacks with precision passing from the back.

Wenger's youngsters are certainly starting to prove their worth at senior level, and with a number of other player currently plying their trade out on-loan, things certainly look good for the Gunners
MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

QuoteThe 19 year old Republic of Ireland youth international put on a sparkling performance in midfield, roaming into numerous positions throughout the 90 minutes. He was assured in possession and always looked to get the ball forward quickly to his team-mates.

I watched the game and thought he was quiet, kept it simple when in possession certainly not a sparkiling performance.
#newbridgeornowhere

ballinaman

Orangemac

Don't call us we'll call you Jermaine.

What a plonker. "I don't think I am going to get a chance with England, not because of my ability, more because of past events".

What has he done this season for Stoke?

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Take him. They've taken worse mercenaries. Even some with no Irish connection whatsoever.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Worker

IRELAND TEAM TO TAKE ON MACEDONIA

Keiren Westwood, Darren O'Dea and Kevin Foley will all make competitive debuts for the Republic of Ireland in Saturday's Euro 2012 qualifier against Macedonia.

Coventry keeper Westwood was always going to come in for the injured Shay Given to win his sixth senior cap, while Wolves defender Foley takes over from John O'Shea at right-back.

However, O'Dea, currently on loan at Ipswich from Celtic, has been drafted in as a late replacement for central defender Sean St Ledger, who has finally had to admit defeat in his efforts to shake off a knee injury picked up in a training ground collision with Ciaran Clark on Tuesday.

Kevin Kilbane will make his 65th successive competitive start in a back four which will also include the fit again Richard Dunne, while Manchester United's Darron Gibson will partner Glenn Whelan in central midfield with Damien Duff and Aiden McGeady providing the width.

Robbie Keane, captaining his country for a record-equalling 40th time, will start alongside Kevin Doyle in attack after finally shaking off the calf injury which has sidelined him for much of the last six weeks.

Manager Giovanni Trapattoni has confirmed that Wigan midfielder James McCarthy will be involved at some point, although Jon Walters is not now due to join up with the squad until after the game following the birth of his third child.

Republic of Ireland XI: Westwood, Foley, Dunne, O'Dea, Kilbane, Duff, Gibson, Whelan, McGeady, Keane, Doyle.

red hander

Think I'd prefer Paddy Kenny to replace Shay when he's injured.  Glad to see O'Dea on.  Duff and McGeady are in good form with their clubs so should cause bother down the wings.  On current form also, Long would be my choice before Keane.  Really like Kilbane for all he's done for Ireland, but I think he's past it and could be badly exposed if the Macedonians have a nippy winger

muppet

Quote from: red hander on March 25, 2011, 06:13:35 PM
Think I'd prefer Paddy Kenny to replace Shay when he's injured.  Glad to see O'Dea on.  Duff and McGeady are in good form with their clubs so should cause bother down the wings.  On current form also, Long would be my choice before Keane.  Really like Kilbane for all he's done for Ireland, but I think he's past it and could be badly exposed if the Macedonians have a nippy winger

These days he would be exposed by Derek Davis.
MWWSI 2017

The Worker

Quote from: red hander on March 25, 2011, 06:13:35 PM

Don't rate o'dea to be honest. Would prefer Clark/Wilson in the defence. Will be good to see mc carthy on at some stage.

With Best & Walters out of the squad it leaves back up strikers looking weak, especially with question marks overs keane's fitness.