FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 18, 2010, 12:38:06 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on November 18, 2010, 10:11:12 AM
Now that Stephen Ireland and Andy Reid can't catch a game with their club teams thank god for Coleman to give the fans with typewriters something to get indignant about. remind me again how many games this lad has played with Everton? Mind you, having listened to all the media guff (from the same sources that have built up others before mind) I'm a bit surprise Coleman didn't get a run on last night.

That's absolute rubbish anglocelt39. It was simply scandalous that Coleman didn't get a game last night. Its not just the last few weeks he has done well. He was very impressive in a few games early last season for Everton and did well for Blackpool in their promotion charge last season. He should have been capped long before now, never mind last night.

Trapp clearly does not like any player that shows a spark of invention or creativity. That's his prerogative as he is the manager but I think people are well within their rights to criticise it. If nothing else its better to play nice stuff and lose than play muck and still lose as has been happening.

Nail on head Seanie - well said - it would  be good for the Irish Rugby team to follow the same sentiment this weekend as well instead of the dross they are serving up at the minute. These two national teams are a disgrace at the minute.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Doogie Browser

Coleman is our best prospect in many a year since Duff/Keane broke through IMO.

anglocelt39

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 18, 2010, 12:38:06 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on November 18, 2010, 10:11:12 AM
Now that Stephen Ireland and Andy Reid can't catch a game with their club teams thank god for Coleman to give the fans with typewriters something to get indignant about. remind me again how many games this lad has played with Everton? Mind you, having listened to all the media guff (from the same sources that have built up others before mind) I'm a bit surprise Coleman didn't get a run on last night.

That's absolute rubbish anglocelt39. It was simply scandalous that Coleman didn't get a game last night. Its not just the last few weeks he has done well. He was very impressive in a few games early last season for Everton and did well for Blackpool in their promotion charge last season. He should have been capped long before now, never mind last night.

Trapp clearly does not like any player that shows a spark of invention or creativity. That's his prerogative as he is the manager but I think people are well within their rights to criticise it. If nothing else its better to play nice stuff and lose than play muck and still lose as has been happening.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear there Seanie, I did state I was a bit surprised he didn't get a run last night. I don't think he's quite at the stage yet where his omission from starting 11's in the next 12 months (if that happens) should spark off a media frenzy as in the cases of Andy Reid and Stephen Ireland, two lads who haven't exactly set the world on fire in the last 18 months. What we should remember is that a fair bit of the hype about those lads was generated by fellas who know a lot more about how to boost viewer ratings and/or sell a few papers than they know about the game itself.

Great to see the lad make a breakthrough at club level, hope he can go on with it.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

outinfront

Coleman has been playing really well for Everton and had an exceptional season last year, helping Blackpool get promotion.  He should have had 20 mins last night.  McGeady is incredibly frustrating - can't fault his effort but it ultimately ends in indecision rather than good crosses or attempts on goal.

AFS

Quote from: outinfront on November 18, 2010, 02:56:38 PM
Coleman has been playing really well for Everton and had an exceptional season last year, helping Blackpool get promotion.  He should have had 20 mins last night.  McGeady is incredibly frustrating - can't fault his effort but it ultimately ends in indecision rather than good crosses or attempts on goal.

He played nine games for Blackpool. He had a good couple of months, not an exceptional season.

He's a very exciting prospect, but with barely 20 professional appearences to his name, we could do well not getting carried away.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: AFS on November 18, 2010, 04:05:34 PM
Quote from: outinfront on November 18, 2010, 02:56:38 PM

He played nine games for Blackpool. He had a good couple of months, not an exceptional season.

He's a very exciting prospect, but with barely 20 professional appearences to his name, we could do well not getting carried away.
We need something to get excited about  ;D

SHEEDY

coleman should have played last night end of story. hes our most exiciting prospect at this minute. what more does he need to do at club level to get a game in that irish team.
nil satis nisi optimum

lynchbhoy

short and simple I think trap doesnt like being told what to do and felt like the media were trying to pick his team and have coleman play - and as a result the stubborn old mule did the opposite.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 18, 2010, 06:11:09 PM
short and simple I think trap doesnt like being told what to do and felt like the media were trying to pick his team and have coleman play - and as a result the stubborn old mule did the opposite.

I think that the Irish and the English were about 5-10 years too late in appointing Trap and Capello. The tactics they employ were the same that won Greece their Euro championship, and Italy their World Cup.

I cannot watch much of soccer any more.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

mylestheslasher

I agree with that. The media should be printing headlines declaring Coleman and Andy Reid useless and then he will play them.
Anglo Celt, pls don't put Andy Reid and Stephen Ireland in the one sentance. Reid wants to play and ireland is self interested little p***k who I wouldn't play ever again if I was manager.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: AFS on November 18, 2010, 11:34:03 AM
Disappointing not to see Coleman, but I suppose right wing isn't the most pressing concern at the minute. Both FB positions and the midfield are where the big problems lie, and a couple of new lads were tried in these spots. Cunningham should be pushing hard to displace Kilbane. Fahey looked better than Green, not that that was much of a task. Not sure about Kelly, he looks error prone. Would've liked to have seen Foley start instead.

Very hard to see many changes for the Macedonia game in March, but you've got to hope with all the friendlies next year that a few new fellas will be allowed to break through for the qualifier run in. The lads we have at present won't make it to 2012.

coleman is a right back. he is playing out of position with everton at the minute
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

muppet

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 18, 2010, 11:08:40 PM
Disappointing not to see Coleman, but I suppose right wing isn't the most pressing concern at the minute. Both FB positions and the midfield are where the big problems lie, and a couple of new lads were tried in these spots. Cunningham should be pushing hard to displace Kilbane. Fahey looked better than Green, not that that was much of a task. Not sure about Kelly, he looks error prone. Would've liked to have seen Foley start instead.

Very hard to see many changes for the Macedonia game in March, but you've got to hope with all the friendlies next year that a few new fellas will be allowed to break through for the qualifier run in. The lads we have at present won't make it to 2012.

coleman is a right back. he is playing out of position with everton at the minute

Yea, his best position would be at Forest.
MWWSI 2017

Hoof Hearted

i would take him at the minute, play right wing with you at right back and him supplying the crosses for me at full, sorry, centre forward !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

AFS

He's playing 'out of position' on the wing because when Everton tried him at RB he was found to be quite dodgy.

The way I see his logic is this: The FB positions, along with finding Whelan a partner, are the team's biggest problems. Finding solutions to these problems will improve the team much more than slipping in a new right winger. So alternatives were tried at left and right back, behind the regular, experienced wingers. This way, the merits of Cunningham and Kelly could be properly evaluated. Sticking either in behind a complete novice would have compromised attempts to do this. Coleman will surely get a go next February, and most likely in front of O'Shea as to throw him in in front of anyone else would be similarly pointless.

INDIANA

Quote from: AFS on November 19, 2010, 09:32:00 AM

He's playing 'out of position' on the wing because when Everton tried him at RB he was found to be quite dodgy.

The way I see his logic is this: The FB positions, along with finding Whelan a partner, are the team's biggest problems. Finding solutions to these problems will improve the team much more than slipping in a new right winger. So alternatives were tried at left and right back, behind the regular, experienced wingers. This way, the merits of Cunningham and Kelly could be properly evaluated. Sticking either in behind a complete novice would have compromised attempts to do this. Coleman will surely get a go next February, and most likely in front of O'Shea as to throw him in in front of anyone else would be similarly pointless.
There is no logic to not starting a premiership player. We have a manager who doesnt watch games and so far hasnt justified his price tag