GAA Trivia

Started by The Claw, November 14, 2006, 11:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Groot Baas

The ex-senior county footballer didn't captain Ireland in Rugby. He captained another country at senior international level (7's or XV) - Therein lies the trivia, that an Irish, born and bred,intercounty footballer captained another country in rugby (a game he never played at representative level in Ireland) 

ExiledGael

Rory Gallagher got 3-9 against Monaghan a few years back, shows what a waste of talent the man is!

PadraicHenryPearse

who was the first football player to get sent off for two yellow cards?

ONeill

Quote from: ONeill on November 14, 2006, 10:22:45 PM
We all remember the 4 game saga in 1991, but what is the most replays recorded for a Championship match and who was involved?

In 1965 what was changed regarding the throw-in?

What dubious record does the 1960 Munster final hold, between Kerry and Waterford? (The Armagh/Donegal All-Ire semi is 10th on this unwanted list)

a) 6 games. Sligo/Roscommon. 1925

b) Only the midfielders were allowed to contest it.

c) Most wides in a Championship game (27).
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Quote from: Over the Bar on November 15, 2006, 06:36:48 PM
In football who holds the senior inter-county scoring record in one game?

Frank Donnelly (Tyrone) scored 5-8 v Fermanagh in 1959 Lagan Cup (which was a division of the NFL then)
John Joyce (Dublin) scored 5-3 v Longford in 1960
Paddy Bradley 3-9 v Waterford 2004

Pangurban

In what year was the rotational system for AI semi-finals introduced

Hardy

Passedit - Peter McDermott, The Man in the Cap, is correct.

1951 - beaten by Mayo
1952 - drew with Cavan, beaten in replay
1953 - refereed the final Kerry v. Armagh
1954 - beat Kerry

blanketattack

Quote from: Bensars on November 15, 2006, 10:47:18 AM
Just to put that one to bed for the sake of full scale warfare, the answer i was looking for was armagh.

I hadnt counted on people trawling back to 1920 or 1905.........for the sake of argument just forget that one

Going back to 1987 isn't exactly trawling.

Over the Bar

Frankie Donnelly is indeed the right answer O'Neill.  My da was at the game and he said Frankie had at least 2 if not 3 goals disallowed as well. LOL

ONeill

What is the rugby answer?

Groot Baas

Quote from: ONeill on November 16, 2006, 08:31:46 PM
What is the rugby answer?

Dermot Earley (Ex-Roscommon & Connacht, brother of Paul/father of "Kildare" Earley) captained the Israeli national rugby team while serving with the UN in the Lebanon. One must assume that the local brass though it might endear the UN forces to the Israelis. If memory serves me correctly, it was for a friendly rather than a full-capped representative fixture. Israel (not exactly giants of the oval ball) have an awful rugby set-up inherited from the old British Palestine Days. Alot of South African Jews have played with the side and at club level. Joel Stransky ( drop kick that one the RWC in 1995 for Sth Africa) played some underage in Israel when the ban was in place against South Africa.   

I first heard this when drink was taken ..... but whatshisface from the back page of the IrishTimes mentioned it in one of his earlier columns 

Doire abú

Who won player of the year, but not an All Star that year?

DMarsden

dec

Which is the only county which has never appeared in a senior provincial final?

Doire abú

Wicklow?

Jimmy Keaveney was the answer to mine, but maybe there's others I wasn't aware of.