Roads Adopted by Roads Service

Started by marty34, April 12, 2018, 06:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Has anyone ever heard of a situation where the Roads Service in the North hasn't adopted an avenue in an estate but has adopted the rest of the estate and therefore it got fully tarred etc.

The builder went bust just after houses were built and after to-ing and fro-ing for several years, the Roads Service finally adopted the main thoroughfare and a few other avenues but they haven't adopted a few other smaller avenues and drives.

I was just wondering what way this is in terms of getting a mortgage and buying a house in one of these roads that are not adopted?

Any info, please share.

rosnarun

very odd 1st post for a gaaboard
as foir you question, sorry no idea
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

David McKeown

I've come across this yes. What exactly do you want to know?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

marty34

Sorry - I thought it was going into the non-Gaa board!

marty34

Quote from: David McKeown on April 12, 2018, 06:52:39 PM
I've come across this yes. What exactly do you want to know?

Will there be an issue if the house is being bought or sold?

David McKeown

The answer is it depends. Some solicitors will advise mortgage companies that it may be an issue and that they either shouldn't proceed or should get some sort of undertaking from the vendor. Other solicitors are less concerned. Without seeing the original conveyance it's very hard to advise specifically but your solicitor should be able to help.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

marty34

Thanks David.  I suppose it depends on each case but I was wondering could a mortgage company take repossession of a house in a situstion like this?

marty34

I think the issue is that the houses was built but the estate wasn't completed before the developer/builder went belly up.  After that Roads Service then adopted certain part of the estate.  Maybe mortgage company didn't know as the mortgage was signed off a few years previous.

Nailer

Marty, before any houses on the unadopted road would be built or the road formed, the builder would have taken out a Road Bond, the purchaser's solicitors acting for the purchasers would have received a copy of the bond in every case as is normal practice in all new developments.
When the builder ceases trading before the sewers have been adopted, the street lighting adopted, the top coat of Bitmac laid on the road and the footpaths asphalted, Transport NI will eventually force whoever has guaranteed the Bond (usually NHBC / bank) to pay for the outstanding works to bring the road and footpaths up to the required standard.
It can take years before this happens, but your solicitor will keep you right on it. NIW  will have the storm and foul sewers bonded too so they may be involved too.

marty34

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: rosnarun on April 12, 2018, 06:51:05 PM
very odd 1st post for a gaaboard
as foir you question, sorry no idea
In fairness this post must be one of the most useless and unhelpful posts ever posted here and that's saying something given the competition there is.
Marty, Nailer's comments are bang on the mark. Good luck with the house purchase if you go ahead with it.
Careful now

rosnarun

just king the poif you wanted a housing query answered it seems odd to go to the bother sign up to a Gaaboard to get an answer to you question>
Maybe he should have sent a letter to Croke park northern Ireland housing section instead
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

HiMucker

Quote from: rosnarun on April 13, 2018, 11:07:47 AM
just king the poif you wanted a housing query answered it seems odd to go to the bother sign up to a Gaaboard to get an answer to you question>
Maybe he should have sent a letter to Croke park northern Ireland housing section instead
Aye because sending a letter would be far handier.

TabClear

Quote from: HiMucker on April 13, 2018, 11:22:13 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on April 13, 2018, 11:07:47 AM
Aye because sending a letter would be far handier.

Exactly. This Board is pretty useful for queries like this as there is a wealth of knowledge across most sectors ( Edit: But be careful you only listen to people who actually know what they are talking about and not those that think they do!). If nothing else you get a quick answer of who you should be looking to contact.

Dougal Maguire

Indeed. People have asked all sorts of questions like this looking advice on anything from paying rates on a new house to buying a lawnmower. There's always a few people who will have some useful advice to give and that's one of the good things about the board and its community
Careful now