Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Quote from: armaghniac on February 18, 2022, 10:52:30 PM
Quote from: Westside on February 18, 2022, 09:50:06 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on February 18, 2022, 09:26:58 PM
Quote from: Westside on February 18, 2022, 09:08:12 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on February 18, 2022, 08:50:56 PM
Quote from: Westside on February 18, 2022, 08:29:37 PM
You are choosing where to put context very carefully. No mention of 2019 when we got to the Ulster final. No mention that a lot of our players unlike Sligo have Division 1 and 2 experience. No mention of how Sligo have been going over the past few years.

We aren't world beaters for sure, but we are favourites for this game and there is no evidence that this game is 50:50. We are strongly expected to win this narrowly.

Did they deduct an Ulster when we hit Div 4?
I've actually mentioned every single one of those in this thread. Don't think it's me being choosy with the facts.

Yes you had Cavan's far superior experience and success on one hand and Sligo being at home and "going well" on the other. Those things do not balance out.

I think this game will be close, I wouldn't be massively shocked if Sligo won. But there's no basis in fact for branding this a 50:50 game. If Sligo win it will be an upset.
Why exactly would I dismiss our performances last year against Fermanagh, Derry and Wicklow? Those performances still need to be moved on from and that needs to be done by showing something more on the football field. We're still struggling to surpass the 15 point mark and don't look like scoring goals. And it's not obvious yet who the forwards will be to change that.

And yes Sligo are going well. Their points difference alone is almost our total scoring tally this season. They are inconsistent and may well fall flat against us but they were unlucky last year losing narrowly to Antrim for promotion though the Louth game is one they'll want to forget. So I agree with you, I've actually stated numerous times now that I have Cavan as slight favourites but the quoted odds represent great value for a punter.

Are Cavan not going better than Sligo? Narrow loss to the side now top of Div 1, hammered AI Champions, ground out a win against Leitrim in awful conditions, a more comfortable win against Wexford than Sligo had. Don't see how Sligo's form trumps that. Unless you're putting a lot of stock in that Carlow victory.

Sligo have a Crossmaglen man managing them.

We all make mistakes.

Anyone know if the game is in danger due to weather?

Rossfan

Laythrum v London moved to Bekan (unplayable today for u 20 games mind you while the Prentybubble is out if action due to next week's Congress)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on February 19, 2022, 12:02:29 PM
You are choosing where to put context very carefully. No mention of 2019 when we got to the Ulster final. No mention that a lot of our players unlike Sligo have Division 1 and 2 experience. No mention of how Sligo have been going over the past few years.

We aren't world beaters for sure, but we are favourites for this game and there is no evidence that this game is 50:50. We are strongly expected to win this narrowly.

I've actually mentioned every single one of those in this thread. Don't think it's me being choosy with the facts.

Yes you had Cavan's far superior experience and success on one hand and Sligo being at home and "going well" on the other. Those things do not balance out.

I think this game will be close, I wouldn't be massively shocked if Sligo won. But there's no basis in fact for branding this a 50:50 game. If Sligo win it will be an upset.
Why exactly would I dismiss our performances last year against Fermanagh, Derry and Wicklow? Those performances still need to be moved on from and that needs to be done by showing something more on the football field. We're still struggling to surpass the 15 point mark and don't look like scoring goals. And it's not obvious yet who the forwards will be to change that.

And yes Sligo are going well. Their points difference alone is almost our total scoring tally this season. They are inconsistent and may well fall flat against us but they were unlucky last year losing narrowly to Antrim for promotion though the Louth game is one they'll want to forget. So I agree with you, I've actually stated numerous times now that I have Cavan as slight favourites but the quoted odds represent great value for a punter.

Are Cavan not going better than Sligo? Narrow loss to the side now top of Div 1, hammered AI Champions, ground out a win against Leitrim in awful conditions, a more comfortable win against Wexford than Sligo had. Don't see how Sligo's form trumps that. Unless you're putting a lot of stock in that Carlow victory.

We all make mistakes.

I'd say it has to be in danger and more rain promised too.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Itchy on February 19, 2022, 02:57:06 PM

We all make mistakes.

Rain shouldn't be a problem its a new pitch in Markievicz Park.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Blowitupref on February 19, 2022, 04:23:28 PM

We all make mistakes.

It might be new enough but then so was the pitch in Cork and that turned out to be a mess that had to be re-done. It's not been in the best of shape the last few times I seen it so wouldn't be overly optimistic, been plenty of rain here all evening.

The Rovers match fell to the weather too.

On the game, if it goes ahead, yes things look a lot more positive now with a couple of wins in the bag but it's hard to judge where we stand until tomorrow, the Wexford game was a slog and Carlow were dreadful, probably the worst non-KK county team I've ever seen visit the Park, which makes their win tonight remarkable. The forwards can kick plenty of scores and Murphy and Carrabine in particular are as good as you'll find in the lower divisions but that's not been our issue, defensively we've been a mess for a good few years now, shipping heavy scores on a regular basis, and that's something that any improvement in will need a few more tests to see if real progress has been made. And Cavan are as good as any test of that they'll have this side of championship. Hopefully a positive result but the performance will be more important than anything, the decisive games to win if promotion is to be achieved will come later.

Itchy

Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 19, 2022, 09:29:46 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on February 19, 2022, 04:23:28 PM

We all make mistakes.

It might be new enough but then so was the pitch in Cork and that turned out to be a mess that had to be re-done. It's not been in the best of shape the last few times I seen it so wouldn't be overly optimistic, been plenty of rain here all evening.

The Rovers match fell to the weather too.

On the game, if it goes ahead, yes things look a lot more positive now with a couple of wins in the bag but it's hard to judge where we stand until tomorrow, the Wexford game was a slog and Carlow were dreadful, probably the worst non-KK county team I've ever seen visit the Park, which makes their win tonight remarkable. The forwards can kick plenty of scores and Murphy and Carrabine in particular are as good as you'll find in the lower divisions but that's not been our issue, defensively we've been a mess for a good few years now, shipping heavy scores on a regular basis, and that's something that any improvement in will need a few more tests to see if real progress has been made. And Cavan are as good as any test of that they'll have this side of championship. Hopefully a positive result but the performance will be more important than anything, the decisive games to win if promotion is to be achieved will come later.

Postponement might suit both teams, by the time they'd get around to play each other again it might be a dead rubber.

Itchy

Cavan v Sligo is off, pitch unplayable.

Westside

Disappointing loss for Leitrim. Probably takes them out of the promotion hunt unless they beat Sligo and hope Cavan do too.

London suddenly will have their tales up. Still 3 of the favourites for the division to play but they have momentum.

Cavan will now likely have Sligo, Tipp and London 3 weeks running. 2 wins out of three should see us promoted. Presuming of course Carlow and Waterford don't spring a big surprise in Breffni.

Itchy

Big loss for Leitrim. I'd say Andy was doing some crying on the line today. Well done to London, have they ever won 3/3 in league before?.

sligoman2

Great to see the numerous discussions on the status of the Cavan team and the ease with which they predict they will beat Sligo.   Our next game is huge for us, if we beat Tipperary away then I think we will be promoted, a loss and we are back in the mixer with many other teams.  Pity the Cavan game didn't get played but it probably was the best decision given the conditions.  London certainly are the surprise packets of the league, they obviously can't be taken lightly after beating Leitrim at home, this was a huge blow to Leitrim's promotion efforts but they are still in with a chance.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Rossfan

They bet Laythrum at a neutral venue....but are the surprise team of the League so far.
Listening to their London born manager is a bit strange, you don't associate that accent with gaelic games matters.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Look-Up!

Very early days yet in this Division and the postponed games this weekend leaves it slightly more difficult to gauge where the teams are at but it's throwing up plenty of "interesting" results. Cavan and Sligo look very likely to gain promotion at the moment as 10 points will more than likely secure promotion. In that respect the cancelled game this weekend may very well suit them and allow them to point build and other teams to take points off each other until their showdown later on in the campaign. Leitrim had a disastrous result and promotion now looks beyond them.

London flying at the moment- if they can win 2 more games, not beyond them, they will be in the mix nicely (assuming the Sligo Cavan game produces a result and not a draw). That leaves promotion Cavan and Sligo's to lose from here. From our point of view it's vital we don't drop the ball and go out and perform and not allow other teams back in the mix. Carlow this weekend. Bookies have us 1/10 on. We should be winning this with a bit to spare but cannot take them likely.

Westside

Quote from: sligoman2 on February 22, 2022, 02:14:13 PM
Great to see the numerous discussions on the status of the Cavan team and the ease with which they predict they will beat Sligo.   Our next game is huge for us, if we beat Tipperary away then I think we will be promoted, a loss and we are back in the mixer with many other teams.  Pity the Cavan game didn't get played but it probably was the best decision given the conditions.  London certainly are the surprise packets of the league, they obviously can't be taken lightly after beating Leitrim at home, this was a huge blow to Leitrim's promotion efforts but they are still in with a chance.

An interesting take on everyone from Cavan saying this will be a tough close game.

sligoman2

Quote from: Westside on February 22, 2022, 07:18:16 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on February 22, 2022, 02:14:13 PM

An interesting take on everyone from Cavan saying this will be a tough close game.

Just pointing out the fact that nobody predicted a Sligo win, which I understand coming from Cavan supporters.  As a Sligoman of course it's and interesting take....
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Itchy

Tipp beat Sligo by 4 points which blows the division wide open.