New Meath Manager

Started by Hardy, July 20, 2008, 01:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Any ideas? Who's in the reckoning? Would Seán come back? Would he be the right man for the job? Who else? O'Rourke? What about an outside manager?

My opinion: I don't believe in outside managers. (Though if Jason Ryan wanted the job I might be tempted).

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Seán was offered the job and I wouldn't be surprised if he accepted. The man breathes Meath football and I'd say he'd take your arm off to do the job again.

If he did, it should be on the basis of at least a  three-year "contract", come what may. That's the minimum time it takes to build a team and some awful results can be expected and must be tolerated in the course of the building. 

Why Seán? Simple logic, to my mind - is there anyone else (in the county, anyway) who has shown the ability to build All-Ireland-winning teams from scratch? And he's done it more than once, so the fluke factor can be ruled out. For one thing, we could be confident we would never see again capitulations on the scale of Cork, Wexford and Limerick.

If Seán is not a runner, who? Before Coyle, I would have said anyone from any of the great Boylan teams would at least instill the basics of pride, spirit, fight and, above all, leadership. But we can't say that now. For me, O'Rourke is the other obvious candidate. Would he run for it and give up his lucrative TV work? Would he have to give it up? Is there a rule about that?

corn02

Kernan could be in the running, and Paul Grimley perhaps?

Maguire01

Quote from: corn02 on July 20, 2008, 01:05:31 PM
Kernan has said he'd never manage another county.

corn02

Said, believe me it would not be a surprise.

thejuice

Wouldnt mind Sean Boylan coming back. but a new face might be the way to go, looking at who's having success around the country. Im not sure who outside the county could do it.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

INDIANA

forget about boylan, thats a retrograde step, could just damage his legacy and i think his methods are a tad outdated at thsi stage. O Rourke is the simple answer, he's trained the best talent in Meath and with his track record he'll be looked up to. Its a no brainer. Coyle's record this year has been a disgrace with the talent at his disposal, few counties have the array of forward talent meath have.

Hardy

I'd concede that Seán would need a good tactician at his side. To my mind tactics were never his strong suit anyway. Those who played under him say what really mattered was the belief he gave you - his genius for making you believe you were invincible and your own resultant determination to go through brick walls for him. I think that's exactly what's missing from this otherwise talented team.

Onlooker

Forward talent?.  3 poimts in 70 minutes.

Maguire01

Quote from: Hardy on July 20, 2008, 01:04:18 PM
For me, O'Rourke is the other obvious candidate. Would he run for it and give up his lucrative TV work? Would he have to give it up? Is there a rule about that?
I don't know that there could be any rule against it, but you couldn't possibly commit to both. I couldn't see a serving manager wanting to put their opinions out there on teams that they are or could be playing. There would also be too many clashes and far too much of a time commitment to try and juggle both. If things went wrong for the county, his commitment to the TV work would inevitably be blamed.
I can't see O'Rourke giving up the TV work.

I'd also imagine he'd be cute enough to wait until he sees some promise in the county, if he ever decides to take up the job. He's not going to ruin his reputation by taking on a bunch of no-hopers. Similar to McHugh and Donegal, possibly.

Maguire01

Luke Dempsey and Donal Keoghan have also thrown in the towel for Longford and Cavan respectively, according to BBC.

stephenite

Aaron Boone

Micko could continue his Leinster tour with Meath.
Very few counties are left now who have never had an outside manager, Tyrone & Down are two.

Jinxy

Quote from: corn02 on July 20, 2008, 01:05:31 PM

I would love to see that combination to be honest. I think we traditionally play a similar game to Armagh but we need huge work to develop a proper defensive system. I honestly think the players are there and we have plenty of good youngsters coming through, we just need someone to come in with MODERN training methods and ideas.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Down Gael

O`Rourke does planty of talking on TV, maybe himself and Brolly could take the job on  ;)

orangeman