is this man irelands oldest club hurler

Started by the Deel Rover, June 27, 2008, 03:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteMicky Linden musta been touching 40 when he played his last game for Down.

Didn't realise Joyce was as old as that. Absolutely superb footballer in his day.
[/b]

He's not that was ros taking the piss

Was thinking that sounded a bit wrong. Let down by my gullibility again. Ah well. I live and learn.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

the Deel Rover

aye there are a few smart boyos on here tam you would want your wits about you  :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

balladmaker

To the Down men....what age was Donall Bell when he made an appearance in the Marshes in the 90's?

jodyb

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 27, 2008, 03:47:23 PM

27 June 2008

Mature talent: Tom, 71, togs out for hurling team

By Claire O'Sullivan
HE might have celebrated his 71st birthday but when the local team were down a man, he didn't dither when asked to tog out.

Kerryman and grand-father Tom Randles played the full 60 minutes of a recent Junior A Duhallow League game against Co Cork side Tullylease and reckons it "didn't take a bit out of him".

The players around him may have ranged from 17 to 35 but he was still "very involved in play", according to onlookers.

A corner-forward, he didn't make the scoreboard, but provided skills that ensured his team-mates got the sliothar over the bar.

"I've always loved hurling and I keep fit. It keeps the arthritis at bay. I'm used to training. I'll train with the team when I can. I also run and walk and I love dancing. I do a bit of ceilĂ­ dancing but, you know, I'd do any kind of dancing at all," he quipped. "I don't drink and I don't smoke and it pays off. A fit body is a fit mind, I like to say".

They say a love of football courses through the Kerry blood, but this Kerryman has always been in thrall to hurling.

"I played hurling in Cork as part of the inter-firm championship. I played for CIE as left corner-forward along with Seanie O'Leary who was full-forward. I won an All Ireland with Capwell station in the inter-depot All Ireland," he said.

Kilgarvan (home to one of Ireland's most famous rural politicians, Jackie Healy-Rae), Tom says, has always been a bastion of hurling in Kerry.

"I always loved a puck around. I don't think that will ever change," he said. "I've togged out with the team once or twice in the past, if a man couldn't get down because of work or something. I always keep my gear in the boot just in case.

"I'll probably do it again, I'm sure." 

Heard him interviewed on radio earlier today. Fcukin unreal!! Fair play to him! Hope I'm still around at that age never mind playin' hurling

ringy

Con Counihan might give him a call up, couldn't be half as bad as some our lads against limerick the last day  :D

RedandGreenSniper

Billy Fitzpatrick was 42 when he came on for Mayo in the All-Ireland semi-final against Dublin in 1985 but I'm pretty sure he played championship the following year too so, at 43, that would have to make him the oldest man to play inter-county in the modern era I would think.
I'd say someone probably beat that pre 1970 though
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ildanach

did former Uachtaráin CLG Joe McDonagh win a galway junior chamionship age 46?? I think he was playing on the same team as his son
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Frank Casey

Quote from: ringy on June 27, 2008, 11:52:10 PM
Con Counihan might give him a call up, couldn't be half as bad as some our lads against limerick the last day  :D

Typical - ye're mad to call up any Kerryman that ye think might have slipped under our radar. Feck off.

Although considering how James O'Shea done for ye..........................maybe for a few bob ;)
KERRY 3:7